1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese VAM1205 CD Transports - Any Good?

Discussion in 'audio' started by edo, May 15, 2018.

1. edo

edo Alcohol User

I posted this question over at the Naim forum but it was deleted. I'm not sure why - maybe they want it kept quite that when many of their CD players stop working you have yourself an expensive door-stop.

This is the offending post:
    I'm thinking of attempting to repair my dead CDX myself (it's not the puck). I'd really like to get it going again. It's not doing me much good in it's box and doesn't command much if sold for parts. Has anyone tried the Chinese VAM1205 knock-offs that are available on the auction site for about $40? The original Phillips transports are long gone and the CDX is no longer being serviced by Naim. Is this worth the effort or am I barking up the wrong tree?

2. lencotweaker

lencotweaker pfm Member

Surely worth a try if all else fails?

Naim fanaticists would regard it as an aftermarket mod and wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole and the Naim forum treats any discussion of aftermarket modification in the same way whether you are respected like Avondale or Witchhat or not. Have you tried contacting Witchhat or maybe Class A to see if they can help?

Related thread,,,
    https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/problems-with-3-5-drive.15127/

3. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

4. edo

edo Alcohol User

5. edo

edo Alcohol User

Forgot to say - I'm in the US...

6. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

TBH I've no idea, but it's probably worth a go.

7. rich46

rich46 quad rules

cant see any other option either , the naim forum is a one man band forum.the naimees seem to believe what ever naim say.. Its the same with the problematic app.update firmware and the hum produced by their transformers ..

8. Salamander

Salamander Well-Known Member

If Naim cannot/will not support their cd players, I find it disgusting they do not want their owners to keep Naim cdp's working. It's not like they £200 when new.

9. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

The Naim forum has a strict ban on DIY discussions, which is pretty much what you would expect of a manufacturer sponsored platform. Saying that they don’t support and service their products is tosh, they have always supported and serviced even their earliest products to an extent that far exceeds pretty much any other manufacturer, albeit at a price. They will, however, only do so if they can restore products to factory spec. There are plenty of unofficial repairers who can try to repair using non-standard parts. You are now on a better forum for that purpose. Good luck!

10. JohanH

JohanH pfm Member

I bought a complete drive (laser + motors) VAM1204 from China and it didn't work as it should. It would not play most CDs and the ones it did play it stuttered and would cut out. This was for a Meridian 500 transport. After relating this story to a friend he mentioned that a friend of his did the same and it worked but only slightly better; most CDs would only start at track 2 but he was able to select track 1 once it played.

Ended up buying a laser unit from Germany that was advertised as original Philips and put that in the original drive. That did the trick.

So I would advise against a chinese VAM unit.

Cheers,
    Johan

11. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

12. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

13. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

We don't touch these any more.

I have a drawer full of hundreds of these. Some are non-working Naim originals, some are the Chinese ones bought to replace them. I had a very good supplier once, most of their lasers worked really well. Then the number of bad ones started to overtake the good ones. We found that most of time was spent testing them and not servicing and it became uneconomic to buy, test constantly and throw.

For the record the CMD12.4 uses exactly the same laser head as the VAM1205. However the turntable, sled motor and gearing are completely different so you have to transplant the laser.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  14. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

My experience of three different players all just over one year old and just out of warranty

15. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo I prefer spots.

OP, Salamander & Rich46 ...... And this is why Naim remove posts of this type.

16. edo

edo Alcohol User

Thanks for the feedback guys. I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/360934662619
    Will report back on how my attempt to repair it goes. If it's a failure I'm only out $40.
    I can understand Naim removing posts that are about modifying equipment or trying to improve it but I am trying to fix an otherwise fine player that they can't service anymore - which I understand and am fine with. Sad thing is I bought this player new, only used it 3 years and put it in storage when going overseas for work.

17. Salamander

Salamander Well-Known Member

Good luck with that edo.