1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CHORIZO

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, Nov 30, 2019.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I think other than certain veg, spices etc our most used product is chorizo. We use it for main meals all the way to a leftovers hash etc.

I have been buying it from Waitrose, but was wondering what others here have discovered.

Bloss

GruntPuppy likes this.
  2. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Despite its ability to divide opinion amongst paella aficionados, I think a few small dice in a shellfish or squid sauce really lifts the whole dish.

GruntPuppy likes this.
  3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not so.

I had a "discussion" about chorizo with a very good Spanish friend, in particular about use in paella...…………..

Bottom line - we English like the smoked paprika taste that it adds, because we have not discovered smoked Spanish paprika (available from many outlets). Paprika is sweet, NOT hot. If you find a chorizo with a hot kick, that kick probably comes from black pepper. Chorizo is red-orange due entirely to paprika.

Chorizo itself adds nothing but a bit of pork to a dish. Buy some smoked paprika and you will see what I mean, and you can add to taste without adding the bulk of pork.

You could also refer to - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paella-Alberto-Herraiz/dp/0714860824/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3485VPEQMNW2O&keywords=alberto+herraiz&qid=1575113325&s=books&sprefix=alberto+he,aps,343&sr=1-1

4. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I guess its because chorizo doesn't taste anything like red hot pepper powder.

5. Spike

Spike pfm Member

blossomchris likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's great stuff, I use it all the time. Just whatever's in the supermarket. Is the Waitrose stuff better than Aldi? I don't know and I wouldn't want to bet on it. I know which costs more.

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Nah - good quality black pudding makes for better scallops. :)

Wilson likes this.
  8. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Aldi do 'authentic' and 'spicy' so I'd imagine there's chilli in the latter.
    I confess I've never tried it alone as a sausage so I'll remedy that on a future breakfast.

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Heat in actual chorizo is generally black pepper - you can often see very large fragments of peppercorn in it.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, they are both good. Thin slices on buttered bread with pickled veg, very nice, or diced and fried then in a stew with various beans, pulses etc in one of the millions of variants of pork and beans popular in the Americas and Caribbean.

11. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Paella is just one of many shellfish dishes.
    I make a Portuguese prawn and beans stew and the sauce base is olive oil onions, chorizo, garlic, white wine.
    [​IMG]
    https://images.app.goo.gl/R6kGk4kTLbBps67x5

12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Youngest goes through tonnes of the stuff....find it handy to add in to veg meals to "meat them up".

13. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I use both and also Lidl’s. All are very good. I buy the Waitrose chorizo when it is reduced. It’s got a little more spice and intensity.

14. Spike

Spike pfm Member

not disagreeing at all. Just different.

15. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

16. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Waitrose may be ok but never buy a cheap one anywhere, that’s my opinion. Chorizo are like merguez in that their strong flavours allow the butchers to throw in all sorts of leftovers. The last three of four chorizos I bought all landed in the bin, I’ve on the verge of giving them up. The worst I’ve ever seen was from Lidl but I suspect the Aldi ones to be not much better, if not to say that they may well come from the same factory.

17. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Unfortunately, that is true. You never do know what they put in sausage anyway.

18. mjw

mjw pfm Member

a line from The West Wing - never be present when sausage or policy are made.

Weekender likes this.
  19. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Isn't sausage supposed to be made from the leftovers?

20. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

no in many cases things like salami, chorizo are made from good cuts, but are a means of preserving excess meat for leaner times