1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CHORIZO

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Mike Reed - twat for jokes like that :)

That depends what you mean. Sparkling wines are routinely blended, no matter where they are made. Try Nyetimber wines - very nice, but there are plenty of other very well known and well regarded vineyards.
    I am definitely NOT a fan of very dry whites, or fizz come to that, but what UK wines I have tried have been very nice. They are expensive, because they are mostly very good, anything cheap will be indifferent - you'd be looking £20+ per bottle from a merchant, supermarket or direct sales. I dread to think what a restaurant would charge.

The UK is not hot enough for long enough to make reds in the majority of years, so very few (no??????) vineyards try.

tuga likes this.
  2. tuga

tuga European

One of my wine-nerd friends likes to comment that single-variety reds and whites aren't fit to be called wines. He's probably just being cheeky, though to be honest my taste-buds agree with him somewhat. I'm far from a expert but it would be interesting to hear @richgilb 's opinion since he's in the trade...

There are a couple of wine stores in town, I'll have a look there if I can't find them in Sainsbury's.

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

????

I sell motorbike parts!

www.rsrmoto-europe.com

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Single variety reds?
    VERY difficult to match a pinot noir...………… Tempranillo? What Spaniard would ever suggest that it should be adulterated?

Can't be doing with Chablis, but a S hemisphere unoaked chardonnay, or any chenin blanc, any style, again, difficult to match where they are good. As I totally adore sweet wines, there are the different forms of muscat grapes, which can make unusual but very nice dry wines too.

Blanc de noir - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, especially demi-sec

Did anyone ever make a duff cabernet/merlot though?

5. tuga

tuga European

Sorry, must have confused you with someone else who sells wine and lives in France or something. :D

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

We are one hell of a long way from chorizo!!!!!!! LLLLLOL

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

In the same way Arthur Daley or Derek Trotter was "in the trade"

he failed to supply me with an order, despite advertising a price.

8. tuga

tuga European

Sorry. This dish is quick and easy to prepare and has chorizo in it. :D

P.S.:

I start by friying the chorizo before setting it aside.
    Then I fry the garlic and one or two piri-piri peppers. The latter are then remove it before I add the onions.
    I fry the onions for a bit then the smoked paprika and a couple of bay leaves and some freshly-ground white pepper.
    Chouriço goes back in before the eggs.
    Tothe best of my knowledge no red wine has ever been added by anyone in my family.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Tell that to Fitou, Savennieres, Muscadet, Chinon. etc and tell me how you get on.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

An invitation to treat does not a contract or an offer make.

11. tuga

tuga European

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting les Messieurs. Perhaps if you would be so kind as to introduce me.

12. tuga

tuga European

Here's another nice one.

You can use pork tripe or pigs' troters instead of the pork shoulder.

Alternatively you can prepare the beans with chorizo and have them as a side with rice to a roasted rack of pork ribs seasoned with crushed garlic and smoked paprika in olive oil.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

From piston to piss-head; too big a gulf there !:D

richgilb likes this.
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Fitou is a chap from the deep south, way down in Provence. He's a robust character but very agreeable.
    M. Savennieres initially comes across as a light and frothy kind of chap, but he's a bit more sophisticated when you spend a bit of time with him.
    M. Muscadet you must know, he's from just near Nantes, he's a brisk, energetic type and very easy to like in the right company.
    M. Chinon is a bit of a dark horse. Not many know him away from his native Loire Valley but he's one of the best of his kind around there.
    Look them up, you'll find them in wine merchants and you won't be sorry you did.

tuga likes this.
  15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

We do have goods tastes. Yeah, I do drink Temperanillo/Rioja on occasion, plus some nice Italian wines, but Burgundy is my favourite French area (I love the Chardonnay grape in all forms except bubbly). Alcohol % s have crept up in the last couple of decades and it's not as easy to find reds (and even P.N.) at or under 13% nowadays. Pity, as I dislike a full-on rich Shiraz type wine. As for Malbec........

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Chinon's just a town, but the whole Loire Valley produces some wonderful wines, at least from Saumur to Chinon

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's interesting, what's the difference between a Chourico and a Chourica? It clearly shares a root with "Chorizo", is there a gender difference between the two?I sak because the French have "la saucisse" (fem) and "le saucisson" (masc) and there are different standards for what can be called each.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Don't forget Anjou and Anjou Villages, which I think are a match for Saumur and Saumur Champigny even if not for Chinon. I lived in Saumur for 2 years, I got to know the wines of the region very well indeed, and you are right that some are excellent.

19. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

I wish I could say the same for the wines of Cahors!

20. tuga

tuga European

In this case they both refer to an identical product but of different regional origin.
    I've looked it up and learned that the chouriça uses mutton tripe for the sleeve instead of pork tripe.