1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CHORIZO

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

From one European to another - tripe is stomach lining (currently FAR more popular in Spain than here in the UK, although formerly reasonably popular in N England), "natural" sausage skins are intestines ;) :)

tuga likes this.
  2. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I gave you my PayPal address and a 50% discount. Where's the money?

3. tuga

tuga European

Oops. I need to polish my vocab...

4. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Think I may as well just keep buying from Waitrose, I will look for others as I am on the search for varieties of paprika.

Bloss

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Paprika - use the link above to the paella co. Plenty to choose from the last time that I used them, although a quick browse suggests that the range has been cut. Browse noras too.

https://www.thepaellacompany.co.uk/paprika-seasoning.html

blossomchris likes this.
  6. tuga

tuga European

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Konteebos likes this.
  8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Interesting. I think that in France "saucisson" has to use natural intestines, saucisse can be manufactured casings. IIRC. The French do a tripe sausage, called andouillette. In its traditional form it has layers of tripe stuffed into a casing of pig's intestine. I find it varies between acceptable, albeit with a somewhat heavy animal odour, and utterly revolting. Aficionadoes say it is the food of the gods. My view may be coloured by the fact that some years ago I had to clean out a cow's stomach to turn it into tripe. That was a bit unpleasant. There were a surprising number of stones to fish out.

9. tuga

tuga European

Sorry, mistakenly said tripe but I meant to say that the skin was made with intestine.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, I understood. The tripe sausage was just something that came out of that. As I say, sometimes it's OK, sometimes it is shudderingly awful. It has a sweaty animal odour which is tolerable in small doses but too much of it is horrible.

11. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

I buy Cantabrian Chorizo from Lupe Pintos, it's the best I have ever found in the UK;
    https://www.lupepintos.com/about
    They have shops in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I.D.C. likes this.
  12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

More off subject stuff.........
    There was an interview on R4 a short while back with the manager of one of or the last tripe processer in the UK. The business had been through 3-4 generations of the same family. I wish that I could find the item or remember exact figures, but 50 years ago, they processed umpteen tens of tons of tripe every week, but were now down to a very few tons per week with the huge majority going to Spain for tapas, which the interviewee reckoned thousands of Brits ate it, completely unaware of what it was and who would never go near it back home.
    The interview may have been a consequence of the first link (it may take a while to load and/or need refreshing once open, alternatively, Google Barnsley tripe closure). The radio interview was associated with a tripe market stall closure, from memory, the last one in the UK.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/offal-news-for-tripe-lovers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41734108

13. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

I like popping a whole Chorizo into my Caldo Verde, which is a Portuguese soup made with potatoes and greens, with the greens rolled and sliced into extremely thin ribbons. Delicious.

14. TheDecameron

I’m heading there later this week. One of the people I was sitting at the table with in that pic suggested it.

Konteebos likes this.
  15. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Talking pigs, what was in the sausage. There are no people at the table, only bits of arms.

Bloss

16. TheDecameron

There was an old guy at the next table shouting at the top of his lungs to the people sitting next to him- and it was only 2pm. I felt like putting him into sausages. In the top left corner you can see blanket hanging down- that goes to the floor and there’s a charcoal burner under the table to keep the customers warm.

blossomchris likes this.
  17. David W Brown

David W Brown pfm Member

Chorizo, salami, anything cured, smoked, spiced and formed into something resembling a sausage wins in my books. Game changer for me was discovering Nduja many many years ago. A wonder ingredient that I add to lots of things. If you're not au fait then its a soft spreadable picante salami from Calabria (Spilinga to be exact). You can spread it on toast, add it to soups, melt it into pasta for a wonderful sauce, add a lump on a baked potato, mix it into homemade burgers (my fave), I also mix it with a little butter and cook fish with it on the BBQ or in the pan, just a totally awesome and versatile ingredient. I'm a little obsessed I must admit, to the point of going to the Festival of Nduja in it's birthplace Spilinga a couple of years ago. I have a local man in Swindon who imports it from direct from his uncle who lives in that part of the world so I don't have to pay deli/borough market prices to feed my addiction - which is very handy !!

[​IMG]

tuga likes this.
  18. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Things have moved on a bit, try a bottle of Nyetimber, probably our fizzy for Christmas morning.

19. tuga

tuga European

Sorry, no fizzy drinks for me.

20. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Sobrassada