1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CHORIZO

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, Nov 30, 2019.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Sobrasada and cheese on toast, in a brilliantly modern tapas restaurant in Barca, a few weeks ago

[​IMG]20191117_133706 by uh_simon, on Flickr

David W Brown likes this.
  2. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

cutting42 likes this.
  3. David W Brown

David W Brown pfm Member

Yup, same stuff, different genes.... ;-)

4. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Oooo, even closer (3.4 miles) might need to pop down soon.

blossomchris likes this.
  5. blossomchris

I have eaten tapas there once or twice, they accommodate my gluten free dining, nice food and people.

The Spanish wine selection is keenly priced and extensive, from memory, I always end up buying a few.

If we both leave our houses at the same time, bet I get there first in my van (good old boy Trump meeting may hold you up a little)

Bloss

6. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Yeah, I am trapped currently, Was tempted to go out for a run to test the coverage but the central heating is on and I simply cannot be arsed.

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Courtesy of an ex girlfriend that orginated from the area, I once participated in a Matanza in Extremadura. This is where several local families pool their labour to facilitate the slaughter and processing of their home reared pigs. These huge black pigs have been grazing, and growing enormously fat, on the golden acorns beneath the evergreen Holm oaks of the region for the last few months of their lives. They are, without doubt, the most delicious pigs on the planet.

They are killed by desanguination, so their blood can be made in to the local Morcilla, their still twitching bodies then singed with a flame thrower.

The front and rear quarters are removed for Jamon (the smaller fronts are know as Paletas), the loin is removed for Lomo. The vast proportion of the remaining meat is then removed and minced for use in Chorizo and Salchichon (Spanish Saucisson) - Although we cut the cheeks out of the head to throw on the barbecue, for a delicious, if slightly chewy, brunch with the local Orujo (Hooch). Some of the fat is preserved for their very fatty, chunky bacon, Tocino, which is key ingredient in the local Chickpea stew, the rest is air dried, minced and added to the sausage fillings.

The uncured Chorizo, or Chorizo Fresco, from this region, is, without doubt, one of the most delicious meat preparations I have ever used in cooking, whether disgorged for use in a Ragu or braised whole in red wine, it is superb.

It is very difficult and expensive to source Bellota (acorn pig) products from this region outside of Spain, but it is well worth a visit to do so. The Acorns of the area provide a terroir to the meat that is more unique than any other I have tasted.

The Chorizo from British Supermarkets is always a disappointment in comparison.

8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

9. blossomchris

^^^^^ I ordered paprika from your previous link, this one I am unable to connect to and my security has flagged this up.

Bloss

10. gintonic

yes I know

11. tuga

tuga European

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Talking of plonk, I had forgotten this outfit, although I have dallied here long and often, I have yet to make a purchase...………… LOTS of cava, which I would drink ahead of any other fizz, any time, judged solely on ££ per unit of enjoyment

https://www.vinissimus.co.uk/en/

13. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

14. tuga

tuga European

I mustn't visit this topic unless I'm about to have a large meal, it makes me very hungry.

15. David W Brown

David W Brown pfm Member

Was that a simple drizzling of balsamic or something a bit more ambitious ? I'm guessing it wasn't L&P or Hendos ? ;-)

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'd prefer L&P or Hendo's to balsamic vinegar or even worse that concentrated sugary brown goop that claims to be reduced BV and that gets shovelled over salads everywhere.

17. tuga

tuga European

Strong honey?

18. gintonic

not this

nor this

it was a sherry vinegar reduction. It wasnt sugary at all, a hint of sweetness, and a pleasant earthy tang to cut through the richness of the other ingredients.

David W Brown likes this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

7pp. Is this the longest salami (or choritzo)?

20. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

They’re building a colossal processing plant near Jubago which has been opposed by many locals but it’s going to provide many jobs. I had a friend who walked into a mobile slaughter unit in one of the villages after hearing shrieking- it was a queue of pigs brought out by the locals.