1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Songs Top 10

Discussion in 'music' started by Colonel_Mad, Dec 17, 2019.

1. GJO

GJO pfm Member

This always gets a spin on Christmas morning.

Tarzan likes this.
  2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Cheesy (essential on christmas morning with family)
    Frank Sinatra, Let it snow
    The Ronettes, Sleigh ride
    John Lennon, Happy christmas (war is over)
    Bony M, Mary's boy child...and after that it's carols for me.
    Aretha Franklin's 'Joy to the world' and, there may be better but then I just find a 'Carols from Kings' album and bung it on.

Gaycha likes this.
  3. neildalton

neildalton pfm Member

This has been my favourite of recent years:

Historically, it would otherwise be James Brown’s Hey America, Louis Armstrong’s Christmas in New Orleans and much of Ray Charles’ album, The Spirit of Christmas.

Have a lovely Christmas, everyone

4. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

December will be magic again by kt bush

and stop the cavalry obvs

blackholesun likes this.
  5. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

A small informal survey amongst people I know in real life turned up this as quite a few people's favourite. It is also Ellie Goulding's favourite, she claimed in an interview.

What annoys me about it is that the spaceman came travelling and, you'd have thought, given the arduous nature of the journey, that he either had a very important message to pass on, or at least that he had plenty of time to think about it on the way. So, what does he come up with? Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na !!!

My favourite is the quite unoriginal choice of Fairytale of New York. (Fun fact: the NYPD do not have a choir.)

The worst Xmas song in my survey was, unanimously, Paul McCartney's Simply Having a Wonderful Xmas Time. Out of tune and out of time. Simply dreadful.

Kind regards

- Garry

Rockmeister likes this.
  6. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

And I thought it was just me!

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

some xmas drill by daina

8. Paul Gravett

Paul Gravett Good Bot Gone Bad

9. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

In fairness to the spaceman, it wouldn’t have taken long observing earthlings for him to realize that ‘na na na na’ was probably the trickiest concept they could grasp. In fact if he came down amongst the Christmas shopping crowds at the Kingfisher Centre in Redditch he probably didn’t bother fully materializing, just buggered straight off to somewhere like Aldebaran or Betelgeuse in order to give his real message to a more intelligent population. And who can blame him, especially when he had a neat arpeggiator to play with?

Macca’s song is awful, I agree. It sounds like someone down to their last few billion, sitting at a synth and desperate to turn out a cash cow sometime before the end of November. The only one more depressing is the Pogues’ heartwarming tale of a pisshead loser and the long-suffering partner he is dragging down with him. If it had been called Fairytale of Ladywood, Ken Loach probably would have bought the film rights by now.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  10. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

My favourites!
    ( someone has already posted Low, Just Like Christmas )

11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Just been listening to this:

12. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

We're three pages into this thread, it's Christmas Eve, and no mention of The Hybrid Kids album Claws. Worth hearing if only for a very squeaky cover of John and Yoko's Merry Christmas War Is Over.

13. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Imagine being Peter Auty. Sang 'Walking in the Air' on the Snowman only for Aled Jones to hijack it and spend his life conning people into believing it was him.

He's no better than Milli Vanilli.

14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

There's an idea for a Christmas album: Carol King Sings Carols from King's.

15. Steve Catterall

Steve Catterall pfm Member

16. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

I'm going to go with Sun Ra's "It's Christmas Time", which can be found the Sun Ra Singles set, volume one.