1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

That's a very, very attractive bootful you've got there.

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Milk Tray and Digestives: what peculiar things people miss. But I reckon they are Hob Nobs so that makes sense now :)

3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Blimey, are they? They weren’t supposed to be! I deliver them in eleven hours - if I’ve got it wrong I’ll be lynched...

Off-off-topic but Freiburg has some interesting record shops. A few nice second-hand Thelonious Monk CDs in one of them and a couple of new King Crimsons and the 2CD Sgt Pepper remix picked up in others for below Amazon price. And supporting real shops always gives me a warm feeling, especially those with interested staff. The chap in the store where I bought the live KC took one look at it and asked me if I knew they were playing in Stuttgart in mid-June. And one shop had TTs for sale, including a rather sweet mini Dual for 70€. (I’m not claiming it was a good buy, just rather liked it.)

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

If you have been lynched where is the car and the keys ?

5. Marchbanks

No lynching - I forgot to check the biccies, but I’ve just received an email saying everything was great.

I get it - your beady eyes were on my second-hand Monk CDs, weren’t they? Or was it the Sony? (It lights up!!)

[​IMG]

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Damn. I was after the 'Spontaneous Twin Drive'. The booze was incidental.

7. Marchbanks

Well now. My New Favourite Merchants have decided not to have a Rhône 2017 offer as the quantities are so limited. So it looks like it is back to the Wine Society. I’ll tread lightly with this one. The walls of the ancestral cellars are stretched to their limits already, and there are 30 bottles of 2016 to come yet. Plus I have a strange feeling that 2018 will be yet another Vintage of the Century. Oh yes, and I’m now skint. So two dozen, tops. Beaucastel of course, Piedlong I think and twelve lesser mortals. I had thought about Mourchon, but was disconcerted to read in the list that it had ‘plenty of dark matter.’ Not sure about that, don’t want to turn the area into a singularity. I think I might even prefer crunchy fruit.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Always good picks. I've only tasted Piedlong, which is lovely, and has the freshness you like, I'll try to find my notes. Dark matter in the Mourchon - sounds a bit satanic! Which cuvée, one of the Ségurets or the CdP?

9. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Just drank a Ken Forrester FMC. Possibly my favourite Chenin Blanc. Not cheap at about £30. Would love to find something cheaper in a similar style.

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

So would I. First drank it when it was £18. Haven't had it for quite a while...

11. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I remember those days! I remember Waitrose stocking it and buying it with 25% off! I still have a few early vintages. This was 2016.

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

It was the first vintage Waitrose brought in: the actual (non-discounted) price was £18 so it was more like 10 years ago !

13. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I meant I was drinking a 2016 last night!

14. Marchbanks

It’s the Séguret Grande Réserve that the Wine Soc sell. I’d like to buy 6 and 6 Coudoulet, but they are only selling the Mourcron in dozens.

15. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Have you come across anything similar?

16. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^ well no I haven't but I haven't tried: so many other wines so little time :). It was probably the first time I realised Chenin Blanc could taste that good, but there may be some rose tinted memories.
    The best way to find something similar at a cheaper price is work your way through other SA Chenin Blancs.

17. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Given earlier discussions about forays into French wine, want to split the dozens?

18. Marchbanks

Logistics might be a problem - where are you? (Drop me a pm, perhaps best not to clog the thread.)

19. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The GR would be my pick. It does tend to the dark side of the equation, there's 35% 60 year old Syrah in the blend. It carries bottle age well, I've still got some 2013 floating around, drinking nicely but plenty of room for further development. Very good with roast leg or shoulder of lamb done with lots of herbs.

I remember drinking the 2007 at a restaurant in Séguret at about 8 years of age and it was beautifully evolved. It's a 5-10 year wine if you like those secondary earthy/tobacco flavours.

20. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Fascinating tips here, thanks to all.
    Should this be turned into an Easter wine thread?