1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Richard Hemming's (MW) brief note on the 17 Coudoulet. He scored it 16.5/20;

Fragrant, spicy, fairly light compared with Famille Perrin's Gigondas and Vinsobres cuvées. Still a closed book, but the clarity of fruit is very promising. Drink 2019-2026.

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

General/all purpose wine thread, or similar?

3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I’m having a crisis of indecision. I was thinking of getting the Coudoulet, leaving the Beaucastel and buying Voge Cornas VV instead for a change. But reading that the 2018 Beaucastel will be, er, unusual, maybe I should go for the 2017 after all...

Blimey, no wonder I’m rubbish at this tasting lark, I didn’t start until I was over 20.

4. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Tried a number of SA Chenin Blancs but none come close. Was hoping the French experts here might point me in the Loire region for similar style.

5. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

:)

What's the story with the 18 Beaucastel?

6. Marchbanks

Mildew.

7. canonman

canonman pfm Member

This is superb, around £8 in most SA restaurants but not found in UK yet. Not may wines ever cost more than £10 there. Complete bargains.

[​IMG]

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Top SA wine costs a lot more than £10 even at shop price in SA. But many are still complete bargains compared to French prices.
    Very laudable anti-poaching message on that wine though.

9. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

[​IMG]

My favourite SA white by a long way

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Not surprised if you get that much in the bottle.

11. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

12. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Ooh. Coulure in 2017, mildew in 18. The organic challenge for 2018, spray synthetics and have a crop, or don't, and accept no crop. With the bank manager breathing down your neck because of poor revenue from the previous vintage.

The key to having a high Mourvedre vintage is in getting the Mourvedre properly ripe, not easy anywhere much north of Toulon.

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Interesting article. Didn't know we buy far more wine from Italy than anywhere else. Also seems unlikely Belgium is a larger market for Bordeaux: maybe they re-export a lot of it. Anyway not to worry EV has assured us that wine at least will be freely available at the same price as now.

andrew d likes this.
  14. avole

avole A wise man reflects

At last ! Good to see we have a genuine wine maker amongst us at pfm.

Do you consult, ev ?

15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

When did I assure anyone of that? Customs duty will add to the cost.

Belgium is traditionally a big market for Bordeaux. As with the Brits and the Irish, quite a number of Belgian names in the Medoc.

Lots of vineyard and cellar work in France when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but I've never made wine.

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No shortage of whine makers on here...

17. Marchbanks

Right, the 2017 vintage will be Perrin-free at Marchbanks Towers.
    I’ve gone for

Piedlong
    Mourcron Séguret Grande Réserve

and in the spirit of diversity moved North for the others

Crozes-Hermitage Albéric Bouvet, Domaine Gilles Robin
    Cornas Vieilles Vignes, Domaine Voge

Now to hope the Wine Soc let me have them. I haven’t gone much for the North since being very underwhelmed by the 1985 La Chapelle (I sold what I had of it last year - I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse) and having several bad experiences with Jaboulet bottlings. Time to try again.

18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Lucky you.

Jaboulet went through a long so-so patch, having been the standard bearers back in the day. The quality was slipping through the mid-80s onwards. The business was sold out of the family in 2006, to a Swiss financier by the name of Frey - he also owns La Lagune, and has an interest in Billecart-Salmon. Big investments since, mainly in the vineyards, reports that I have seen are still a bit mixed. I haven't tasted any of the wines for years. I've got a half a case of 1983 La Chapelle lurking somewhere, and have been recently advised to offload it by an MW mate who ran a masterclass on La Chapelle in November.

19. avole

avole A wise man reflects

Yes, same here, but in a different location where friends still produce good quality wine. Demonstrated, when I went there to help last year, just how much you forget - although I tried to pretend techniques have changed. Also, palates change, and taste buds fade.

Location now means I prefer perhaps the most difficult of wines to make, given that climate change is having a big impact.

20. Marchbanks

I remember a tasting with Gérard J in the early 80s which was terrific. Then I bought a mixed case of 83s en primeur. The Thalabert was OK, the La Chapelle uninspiring and the Côte Rotie just plain unpleasant. I think I sold two of each of the last two at an auction. All downhill from there IMO.