1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Burgundy is my blind spot. I would think the number of bottles of red and white combined that I’ve drunk in my life would only be in single figures. Not counting Saint-Bris, which is different (and of which I drink a fair amount.)

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Same. We should have thought about that 30 years ago when Burgundy was vaguely affordable. The only problem was I couldn't afford it 30 years ago either.
    I've been trying various NW PN and the best (SA and NZ) so far is very nice but I'm coming to the conclusion I could live without it.

3. guey

guey pfm Member

Whilst in Majestic picking up a mixed case earlier, I was pleased to see they had Main Divide NZ Riesling back in, so picked up a couple of bottles to see if it's as good as I remember. I'm pretty sure the last vintage I tried was made partly with botrytised grapes; but no mention on the label of this one (their Pinot Gris, which I've not yet tried, did though).
    If you've a taste for perfumed, off dry whites, I'd recommend it (on the assumption it's as good as when I last tried it - it'll have to wait until I make a Thai or maybe Szechuan meal to have it with).

4. Marchbanks

Time to deal with some of those ‘CT availability of 3’ bottles. Decisions, decisions.

[​IMG]

Obviously the Vieille Ferme is waiting for a very special occasion. Maybe it will get chosen ahead of the Mégaphone if my horse comes in at Cheltenham this afternoon.

5. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I'd be a bit twitchy about the 1995 Beaucastel. I have some sitting here, a case that has been quietly maturing deep beneath the Wiltshire hillsides at Octavian since shipment. I opened three bottles at a tutored tasting/dinner on a Rhone theme last Christmas, and they were out of condition, one worse than the other two, but none of them the same. Beaucastel had well documented brett problems until they tidied up their act in time for the 96 vintage. I also have some 2000 La Crau, which is even worse. I find VT very oxidative, and often volatile. This was all of that.

[​IMG]

They make a pretty picture though.

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

What a shame. I've only had 2001 and 2003 Beaucastel which were lovely. I'm not keen on oxidative wines: thank you for the heads up.
    You are just going to have to drink those 4 1995s quick Marchbanks...

7. Marchbanks

I had a bottle of 1995 Beaucastel at Christmas and had no complaints other than it was flagging badly on day 2. I won’t make that mistake again - the next one will have to go at one sitting, and I’m prepared to accept the onerous task. As long as I don’t have to do anything taxing the next day.

I tried a 1998 VT quite recently as can be seen from the CT listing above, and can see where you are coming from. Although I can’t do wine-bollocks and make it sound convincing (it comes out as rather apologetic and embarrassed) I can do other-bollocks with gusto... if it had been a colour it would have been a little too brown. If it had been a loudspeaker it would have been slightly lacking in top-end. (Remember this is the man who happily buys white wine that makes him think of Marmite.) The next ones I have to come on-stream are the 2016s, so it will be a fair time before I can see if I think it’s an endemic problem.

PS I ever find myself at a group tasting again I’ll remember some advice I read recently - if the tutor/merchant/organiser asks your opinion just stroke your chin ruminatively and say ‘don’t you think it might be a little closed?’

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

The subject of which wines improve on second day or the opposite is tricky. My reading is that if a wine is too tannic or too fruity it may be better on the second day, otherwise probably not. Older wines in particular do not need much air. I always pump air out of half bottles and keep in a fridge.
    What do you guys think of those Aerator gadgets ? Some people swear by them but surely a good swirl is just as good and easier ?
    The one I really don't understand is the 'close down period' ie you can drink it early, or later, but not in between.

9. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Old/mature table wines really need drinking in one sitting, they will generally fade if left overnight. I don't reckon much of the air pumps, though I have used them. A young/youngish wine will generally be fine for a day or two with just the cork in, and may well improve. If you do want to drink an older wine over a few days, the only answer is to get one of the argon refill gadgets - Coravin is the big name, but I think there are others now. They cost, but then so did the precious bottle. I wouldn't entertain an aerator, but some people just love a gadget. Surely one of the things about really good wine is that it is a slow, contemplative journey, not something to be rushed or forced? You'd just end up missing the point.

Musar is the great open-closed-open wine. It often shuts down for a decade. Better understanding of viticultural and winemaking practices seem to have led to wines that are generally more open and accessible throughout their evolution, but there are exceptions - the Mourvedre wines of Bandol are a case in point, they can take years to get there, and meander a lot on the way!

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Hmm that will account for why Musar sometimes underwhelms. Tks for another tip.

11. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Marchbanks, the 2016 Vieux Telegraphe and Pallieres Gigondas - the two Brunier wines that I think suffer intermittently from this problem - were whistle clean and very lovely when I tasted them in November 2017. The 2017 VT, tasted the following November, seemed to have reverted, but in fairness I think that the sample (served in London by one of the Brunier freres) was tired - Jancis also tasted it, and noted it on jancisrobinson.com. I also picked up oxidative characteristics in VT and Pallieres 2015 at their initial cask sample tasting in London in 2016, but again, could have been tired samples.

I have never seen this oxidative trait in Piedlong, Megaphone or Le Pigeoulet, the other Brunier wines.

12. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Musar is quite notorious for doing that. They used to say drink it in the first 5 years, or wait until it is 15!

13. Marchbanks

That’s partially reassuring. The ancestral cellars have stocks of 2016 VT but also 2015 Pallières. I went for Saint-Cosme Gigondas in 2016 - time will tell if I should have got those vintages the other way round.

I’ll ask Jancis for an in-depth report of her experiences with Brunier wines. She owes me one after last week’s fracas at the greyhound track. Even though you know how she gets after five or six Stellas I still thought the constable was a little over-zealous. That one took all my powers of persuasion, I can tell you.

Hopefully I will get my first experience of Piedlong with the 2017, Wine Soc allocation system permitting.

14. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Ha! JR on the Stella again, always spells trouble...

There isn't much 17 of anything southern Rhoneish, sadly. We didn't even do an offer. I've already got 17 Megaphone in though.

Which Pallieres, Racines or Terrasses?

15. Marchbanks

She’s a martyr to herself, that woman...

Racines. 6x 2016, 6x 2012.

Several of my normal en primeur outlets didn’t bother with 2017. I’m a little worried that I won’t get what I asked for from the Wine Soc, even though I deliberately steered away from the obvious names. I listed what I have asked for here, and I’ll get the answer next week.

I’m off to France at the end of next week and have spotted 2017 Mégaphone at online merchants over there at around 15€ inc delivery. But since I’ve already committed myself to 12x Guigal CdR 2015 and am hoping to get some Lapeyre l’Amourier I really shouldn’t let myself be tempted. Doesn’t mean I won’t, though.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  16. Marchbanks

No reply from the merchant after firing off a couple of emails so I took a deep breath and rang them this morning. I’m not fond of speaking in a foreign language on the phone, it seems ten times harder than face to face. It was worth it though, I now have twelve bottles of l’Amourier put on one side for collection next Saturday at the price of - wait for it - 8.50€ each! What a bargain...

‘We also have his San Brès’ said the merchant, who could obviously detect a lack of willpower even when it was 500km away. Oh noooo...

eternumviti likes this.
  17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ how many times did you say "L'Amour" instead of "L'Amourier" to him ?

18. Marchbanks

I think I got it right yesterday - next Saturday might be different. I’ll be knackered when I get there... 0535 train from Folkestone, 0800 Noel Cuvelier’s for a couple of crates of Rochefort, then Delhaize supermarket in Poperinge to clear their shelves of this (I bought jars of it back for friends and neighbours a few years ago and now have standing orders for more stock every time I go back to Belgium - the PRW is full of crazed Advocaat addicts and it’s my fault), then on to the northern suburbs of Lille to check for wine bargains at Auchan and only then to Bondues. Three countries before coffee - if I manage to use the right language it will be an achievement.

BTW if there is something else on the Bondues list that anyone thinks merits a punt, I’m all ears. I am hoping their price for Glenfarclas 15 is startlingly low, but I’m not holding my breath. Ditto the Mas de Daumas Gassac (fat chance.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:45 PM
  19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Had some Ch d'Aussieres last night and very nice it was too. It is a Corbieres but they have stuck 'Lafite' in brackets on the label. A bit crass IMO. It needs no help from its snobby relative and I would be happy to drink it again.

20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Marchbanks, (and anyone else travelling through Calais) this company was recommended to me a while back. He is apparently ex-BBR. There are two shops, one in Marquise, between Calais & Boulogne, and one in Ardres, just south of Calais. Certainly some good producers on his list.