1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Thank you. I’ve stayed in a hotel on the outskirts of Ardres twice in the last twelve months but haven’t ventured into the centre yet. Oddly enough there was a party of Brits eating in the hotel’s restaurant the last time I was there. From their conversation it was obvious they had spent the day buying wine. They tried to negotiate a discount on their meal by mentioning the name of someone named Guy...

More coincidence!

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I like this pfm thread best. It's comfortable, and familiar. There are no special places in hell, only in a nicely humidious cellar.

Drinking 2017 Le Ronsay from Jean-Paul Brun. Humble gamay, but it sometimes does a modest dance on a Chambolle-Musigny theme for a few months, hinting towards it now.

BTC3 likes this.
  3. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

@eternumviti do you have a view on Coravin and similar systems? Are they effective ways of dragging a bottle out over a week or two?
    Thanks!

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ ET is that the Terres Dorees ? I find the notes on CT confusing: 'beaujolais' and 'Tastes like zin': aren't they almost opposites ? Always useful to find a low alcohol that tastes good.

I don't expect too many Brits will be getting discounts in France in future. Anyway have a good trip tomorrow Marchbanks and I guess you will buy as much as you can carry.

5. Marchbanks

Thank you. I have a day’s work and a three-hour plus drive to Folkestone tonight to contend with first! I’ll try to post a picture of my progress over a coffee tomorrow morning.

I think the return next Friday will be tinged with more than a little sadness - maybe the last time in my life without the red channel. But it’s been an enjoyable couple of decades. I will remind myself that nothing good lasts forever and home is where the Tannoys are.

And still no word from the Wine Soc on the 2017 Rhônes (‘you will hear by March 21st at the latest.’)

6. mhv

mhv pfm Member

Have a look in the 'My Wines' section on your account. Mine appeared there yesterday, well before the email confirmation.

7. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

They are popular, despite being dear. The only report that I have had was from a young entrepreneur who has a wine shop with a busy on-licence in Birmingham who has severeal of the machines (as opposed to the little devices for individual bottles) who told me that they're not quite as perfect as they are pumped (..) up to be. I don't think he would have recommended more than a week.

Yes, Terres Dorées, Brun is a quiet genius, we were the first to bring his wines into the UK most of 30 years ago. The zin comparison betrays CT as American. I've certainly never noticed it.

BTC3 likes this.
  8. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Thanks, EV. We don’t often manage to finish the bottle we’ve opened, so something to help keep it for another time would be handy.

9. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I wish I could find a way of not finishing the bottle...

wacko and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  10. Marchbanks

Thanks, did that but it looked a little ambiguous. Contacted them and they said all orders have been fulfilled unless you have been informed otherwise. Invoices will be sent out on Monday.

11. Marchbanks

The flesh was weak, which will come as a surprise to no-one. Six bottles of San Brès not shown.

[​IMG]

I had convinced myself in advance that anything under 30€ for the Daumas Gassac would be tempting, so when it turned out to be 26€...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ good thing Brexit is upon us to save you buying a car with a larger boot.

13. Marchbanks

Too late - I’ve ordered my next one and it will have removable rear seats. Either over-optimism or bloody-minded determination to keep going even if Brexit costs me £2.50 extra per bottle in duty.

wacko likes this.
  14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Continuing exploration of Italian wines found Le Volte dell'Ornellaia. It was a 2016 so I probably drunk it too young but a relatively cheap way into some Italian voluptuousness. Hmm I like that word: just roll it around again. Which I can do as I kept half the bottle for tonight.

15. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Oddbins gone. Majestic rebranding to Naked, closing branches and moving more to online. What a shame. Less and less interesting places for interesting wines. I know online gets best prices but it is a soulless way to shop. Part of the reason I never did en primeur and leave it in some bunker somewhere for 10 years to be delivered and drunk is I find that process too detached for something as lovely as wine.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    eternumviti likes this.
  16. Marchbanks

You are reminding me of Craig Brown’s Jilly Goolden parody - ‘I want something long, I want something that’s firm, something I can roll around on my tongue.’

I’ll try to find it when I get home.

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ You still marauding around picking up bargains here and there ? Chevauchee....

18. Marchbanks

Yes... Guigal, jam, seed potatoes and French jazz went in the saddlebags today.

[​IMG]

Perrin CdR is 6.49€ in the local Intermarché. Red and white. Do you want some? If yes and you think we can arrange a handover somehow, send me a pm. Didn’t note the vintage but would check before purchase

19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Thank you no nothing for me.
    Strangely enough we ended up with a glass or two of Guigal CdR this evening and .... I really don't like the dusty opening. Yes it fades away and gets better but I'm no longer so sure about buying more.
    And Bonne Maman jam is available everywhere. Surely you found better booty than that ?

20. Marchbanks

I apologize. As you had asked for bargains - and the jam was - I thought it would pass muster. The CDs are great, highly recommended. Think a more playful Liberation Music Orchestra. Apart from that there was the en promo Gorgonzola (currently being washed down by M. Lapeyre’s San Brès) and the Monoprix paté à la bière (‘if you take the lot you can have it at 8€/kilo’) but as I’m going to be in en primeur hock to the Wine Soc for £650 in the next few weeks that’s it for wine for now. ‘Now’ probably meaning until I drift by the Auchan Calais on Friday...