1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Thank you for bringing us back on track. If you don't get brett in '95 Beaucastel you are lucky.
    I'm still not wowed with the Paul Cluver PN. In fact I'm very much less than wowed.
    This wine game is not a walk in the park.

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

You got away with it, with that one at least. You might still find bottle variation amongst the last three, maybe you've struck lucky.

I was offered an acknowledgement and an apology in relation to the 2000 Vieux Telegraphe the other day from close to the bouche of the old cheval. The cash might have been even more welcome!

3. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Currently in the land of wine super tax, i.e. Norway. Picked up a few bottles of duty free Perrin CDR 2016 and Coudoulet de Beaucastel 2012 for under a tenner each. Thanks for the recommendations.
    ( yes I know the latter is not the main deal )

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Coudoulet 2012 for under a tenner is a great buy. I bought some from a bargain bin in France for 15€ last year and thought I was doing well!

5. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ Norway duty free is only 2 bottles (or 4 if you swap the spirits allowance into wine). I wonder what the Norway+ option will allow for Brexit Britain...

6. Marchbanks

I'm rather hoping a CU arrangement would leave the present system unchanged. But I imagine everyone has worked that one out already.

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ CU doesn't cover agriculture or services. So would it cover wine ? Internal between UK and EU ? Or just a common external tariff ?

8. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

If you want wine, it's six bottles of wine and 6 small cans of beer. Or https://www.toll.no/en/goods/alcohol-and-tobacco/quotas/ Whatever you do, use the quota!!!!

9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Having banged on about France still being the best wine producer I realise that my own usual choices when price comes into it are:
    Sauvignon Blanc from NZ.
    Chardonnay from Argentina or NZ or California.
    Syrah becomes shiraz from Australia.
    Pinot Noir from NZ or SA.
    Bordeaux blend from Italy or SA. (I don't like cheap bordeaux and it just seems easier to remember the best bordeaux blends from outside Bordeaux.)
    Primitivo becomes zinfandel from California.
    OTOH my Italian wines are all from Italy. :)
    There are some French but not that many...
    Riesling is the next one to focus on and that will just have to be from Mosel or Alsace.

10. Marchbanks

Between us we are well-balanced on a global level. CT tells me I have 94.7% French.

Germany has now not only appeared on my chart but has joined Uruguay in joint second place thanks to my expat friend giving me a present of six bottles of Pfalz Kabinett when we met up in Alsace. Then we have NZ and Spain (4 each), Argentina and Italy (3), Oz (2) and a solitary bottle of Oddbins Roussanne representing SA.

11. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Scandinavia has high tax on wine with that puritan flex, and Norway is the highest. But UK is in third place after Ireland. :(

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

You should be able to get through the next 2 years of Brexit negotiations without even having to add to that stash. Best be prepared for a 'No Deal No Wine Deal' though.

13. Marchbanks

A heads-up - Sainsbury’s have a 25% off six bottles offer going. I had a quick look along the shelves and would have been tempted by the 2017 Perrin Châteauneuf les Sinards at a reduced price of £17.25/bottle if my Record Store Day spending hadn’t been quite so over-exuberant. It reads rather like a Perrin version of the Bruniers’ Télégramme.

The 25% off six offer is on until April 23 (happy birthday and RIP Bill.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I don’t have the resources you or Marchbanks do, but I broadly find myself following your choices above. I would add, though, that I prefer Syrah from SA to most Oz Shiraz in the everyday decent drinking price range (by which, say £10-15 or thereabouts). The Oz stuff tends to be big and powerful but not as subtle or complex as the SA for similar money, IME.

15. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Oz wine has, rightly, been criticised as overblown in the past. However over the last decade many Oz wine producers have reacted well and changed their wines. Of course nothing wrong with good SA wines either. I don't really care about the country, but try to find out about the individual wine or just try a single bottle before buying more.

eternumviti likes this.
  16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Hugely more subtlety in many Oz wines now.

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I knew someone (not really a friend) who had a very expensive walk-in wine cellar and filled it with wine from every country except France :rolleyes:. Twerp.

18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

"I don't like French wine."

19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ He knew nothing about wine, let alone French wine. It was all for show: the wine cellar cost more than the wine in it :confused:
    I think he just didn't like the French or France or something weird like that.

20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I get it a lot. It really makes me wonder why I bother sometimes. Running a wine business does not make you rich.