1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Bonne Maman makes a marmalade good enough to give Les Anglais producers a poke in the eye.

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Actually I never did connect it to HB. I stated, accurately, that Blason is the second wine (of Larrivet Haut-Brion). It is to the profile, prices and score of Larrivet itself (the first wine) that the OP linked when he first mentioned the Sainsbury deal. I was merely pointing out his error.

To further muddy the waters, the second wine of Haut-Brion itself, now called 'Clarence de Haut-Brion', used to be titled 'Bahans Haut-Brion'. No idea why they changed it.

And then there's La Mission Haut-Brion.

Weekender likes this.
  3. wacko

wacko pfm Member

If there was any confusion it was probably in my mind. It has been dispelled !

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

4 weeks to go. There is a vague chance of a Frenchman at the Xmas table. My best French wine is maturing slowly. So to avoid any embarrassment I've bought a Giscours 2004: it better be good.

5. MVV

MVV pfm Member

So I got 6 of these at £15.00 each and had to open one last night purely fo QA reasons. Very nice too although as ET comments a bit young. Now the chances of 6 bottles surviving in my house for longer than a month are zero so sadly I will never find out what it could be like. ...And I have three actual vaulted cellars. Bought that other 'Blason' thing reduced to £16.50 but only bought one cos in my ignorance wasn't sure what the conclusion of the advice was. Anyroad all fun, thanks.

6. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

The trick is to buy more than you drink!
    Put the Perrins away in the cellar and buy something to drink now would be my advice...especially with that 25% offer.

7. Spike

Spike pfm Member

sounds stupid but I’ve broke three Rieldel Magnum decanters. Two sober! They are far to femor for me. They Crystal thickness is very inconsistent. However, never broke a Riedel Sommelier glass!

8. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Now I am absolutely certain that is %100 the right advice so thank-you.
    My mind drifts into wondering if it is possible to buy more than I can drink and then inevitably to the idea that I'm 61 in spring and it seems a bit presumptuous to think I may be around is a few years to drink it!
    How many years would make a significant difference?

9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Not many...3, 4, 5...though I am no expert...our resident staff will be along to confirm.

eternumviti likes this.
  10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I'd try the next one in about eighteen months. If you like it you can drink the rest or give the next one another year to see if you notice a difference - then repeat. I wouldn't worry about them being over the hill for another decade.

Don't worry about your age, either. I'm older than you and have bought more wine this year than any other in my life.

eternumviti likes this.
  11. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Thanks both. Could someone explain the end take on that 'Blason thing' in Sainsburys?

12. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

The kids have dressed some of my Perrin Les Sinards with the wooly hats that Innocent smoothies put on their bottles this time of year. Perhaps I'll have to buy another dozen to see if it ages better with or without a wooly hat..

13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Overpriced at 28 quid. Bit of a bargain at under 13.

14. Marchbanks

It is described in some places as the second wine of Larrivet Haut Brion. But then again so is Demoiselles de Larrivet Haut Brion if you look elsewhere. However, Blason is an export-only wine. Are they the same wine with different labels? They are certainly a similar blend, although that doesn’t prove much. As Weekender suggests, the going rate for a bottle is about twenty quid. Larrivet HB itself is described as needing 5-7 years minimum bottle age, the second wine a little less. I would say that means (taps frantically on calculator) - ooh, start drinking around now! So you could buy some to enjoy while you are impatiently drumming your fingers waiting for the Châteauneuf to mature in the vaulted cellars (we need pictures, BTW.)

Weekender likes this.
  15. Marchbanks

OK, I don’t know much about Californian wine and I don’t own a single bottle of pinot noir (all right, one.) Perhaps it’s time to change that, and Au Bon Climat is a name that crops up regularly. It did again today on a flyer from Majestic. I’m not sure I trust their ‘Black Friday’ marketing, but the prices seem competitive.

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/au-bon-climat-chardonnay-18032
    https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/au-bon-climat-pinot-noir-isabelle-18958

I’m a member at L&W so I get 10% off, making £37.12 (Isabelle) and £18.98 (Chardonnay.) Do the vino-Yankophiles among you reckon that would be unmissable/average/not worth bothering?

My wallet is awaiting your answers with trepidation. Thank you!

16. wacko

wacko pfm Member

You buy spectacularly well in France so not sure you should go for these. But with the discount a couple of each just to try ?
    I've had a sprinkling of ABC and although a few were just lovely not all were great (maybe just an off day for me). Nearly all my Californian wines are Ridge.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  17. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Have you broken through into next door's cellar yet Marchbanks?

18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Crazy good prices for those mixed hald-dozens, dammit.

Are these Black Friday deals, or are they their standard mixed case prices? If so, they are working on some low margins.

19. Marchbanks

Are you suggesting I leave them something decent to add to their Blossom Hill?

It would be three of each. That sounds like a maybe no...

That sounds like a maybe yes. Casting vote, anyone? (No, not me, I don't know enough.)

Their mixed case prices are rather fluid but they are claiming that these, at 25% off the single bottle price, are BF specials.

20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The 15 Isabelle is superb.