1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Hildegard is fabulous too, blend of P Blanc, P Gris and Aligote. If you prefer the balance to be red Sainsbury PN is excellent.

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Ah, OK, thanks for the recommendations. I'll give the Hildegard a miss as I suspect it might be a little dry for my ageing internals. But I wake up sometimes to find Silenus glaring at me from the end of the bed, demanding to know why I am suspicious of Pinot Noir. Perhaps three ABC and three Saintsbury (I assume the missing 't' was a little booby trap to fool the PN and California newbie - it took a few minutes to work it out) will mollify him. At least then I can say I gave it my best shot.

(Now I suppose you are really going to throw me by saying 'no, no - I meant Sainsbury Taste the Difference PN... it's great!')

3. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The missing t in Saintsbury must have been the cursed spellchecker, because I deffo included it. I used to keep the wine years ago when Jasper Morris imported it, and it was very good.

It was spellchecker, it just did it again!

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

No way will that silence Silenus. After these are the SA versions (I have, and like, Crystallum Cinema).
    Then eventually you have to do what you do best: find the holy grail in Burgundy at an affordable price.
    If after all that you are not convinced then you really don't like PN and Silenus will depart.

5. Marchbanks

Always pleased to have my card marked. Are you acquainted with this from the same area? L&W sent me a gushing flyer about it the other day, which always makes me look the other way. (‘95 points!! Spectacular!!!’)
    Yes, well, let’s not get carried away just yet. I’ve built up 40 years of Burgundy-aversion.
    That would be a shame in some ways, I think he means well. I just wish he wouldn’t drop grapes all over the carpet. When I get up in the middle of the night...

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ nope never had that one.
    If you've been trying Burgundy for 40 years and don't like it you certainly won't like any NW copies. Apart from that Crystallum I bought some Cru Beaujolais as a substitute until the Chinese economy collapses and they stop buying our wine.
    I was also hoping you would find a hidden gem in Burgundy for £30 less 25% for 6 less another 25% on checkout because it is the third Thursday in the month.

7. Marchbanks

I may have misled you - the aversion was to the Burgundy industry and hype, not the wine. I haven’t tasted it for 40 years. Not big or clever, I grant you. I feel much the same way towards Bordeaux nowadays as well.

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ I sometimes wonder if my stinginess is cutting off my nose to spite my face. A friend had Lafite on his Xmas table last year but he did buy it years ago. I just wasn't organised enough to do that then and I still baulk at paying that much now. Probably don't trust my taste buds to be worth that much. One day I will probably 'do a Sideways' perhaps when the Doc says "no more".

9. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Not so much hype in Burgundy now, far more from Bordeaux. There are more passionate, dedicated and skilled young winemakers in Burgundy now than ever before. The problem is the global demand far outstrips the production of the small domaines there, and prices have gone stellar.

A good village wine is objectively worth £30 or £35, but not £45 to £65, and 1er Crus might be worth 45 quid, but really not upwards of £70. Don't even mention Grand Cru. Even basic Bourgogne from a reputable grower on the Cote d'Or can hit £30, whilst I'd give you 15 to 20 for it.

The values now are in the Chalonnaise, Maconnais and Beaujolais. Some wonderful young growers in the latter now, and aged Morgon, Moulin a Vent and even the lower part of Fleurie has an interesting tendency to 'Pinotise'.

10. Marchbanks

Pretty much sums up my 40-year feelings. If I’m going to spend (say) £30 on a bottle of wine, I would prefer to buy one from a country/region that will give me full value, not £20-worth. And PN has simply taken the collateral flak. I’ll try to change that part.

11. Marchbanks

Excellent, have managed to order a dozen through a splendid lady at a catering suppliers using the Marchbanks charm (which doesn’t get allowed out too often.) The conversation went like this...

‘Are you in the restaurant trade?’
    ‘Well, no, but I could say yes if you wanted me to.’
    ‘Ah, I see. Are you in the restaurant trade, then?’
    ‘Er, yes!’
    ‘Excellent! I can open a trade account for you! How many glasses would you like?’
    ‘Would a dozen be all right?’
    ‘Mmm. It should be a minimum of 48. Tell you what, I’m going to ignore that.’
    ‘Perhaps it’s a special offer for Black Friday?’
    ‘Yes, that’s exactly it! They’ll be with you on Monday.’

So if anyone wants six of them my offer still stands.

Weekender and eternumviti like this.
  12. Marchbanks

I've attempted to quote you in a different thread - hope it works...

No, not yet. All 18 still intact. I do have one 2012 left which probably won't see the month out. Like one of the 98 VTs. And one 95 Beaucastel. Here's to the winter solstice!

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Clever clogs you.
    I've drunk 3 over the last 3 months. Slightly early because they are just such a goldilocks wine: taste great, go with most food and not bonkers special occasion only pricing. Should try to slow down on them now though.
    Definitely time up for the 12s. Would be nice to open with that 95 Beaucastel and the VT to compare... maybe Xmas day itself ... remember to take notes :)
    Another great winter wine is Ridge and I've discovered that their cheaper East Bench is very good too.
    I use Guigal CdR to average the monthly cost down to vaguely approach your canny buying.

14. Marchbanks

I haven’t started on my 2015 Guigal stash yet (27 bottles grabbed over the years in French hypermarket promos), I still have a handful from earlier vintages to finish.

On a different matter, why are Au Bon Climat bottles so bloody - sorry, goddamn, big? They are the only ones I have ever bought that don’t drop fully into the semicircular holes on my racks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  15. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Ironic to have such an environmentally unfriendly heavy bottle named 'Good Climate' isn't it ? It's good wine so they didn't need to proclaim it's importance with weight.
    They are not the only offenders although several producers have already switched to lighter bottles.
    Well done on your Guigals: I should get a few more as I'm down to 5 now. I'm kind of hoping the 2016 will be even better. I suspect we will need plenty of wine over the next 2/3 years...

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I'm an utter philistiine.(sp?) I mostly just find something palatable for under a tenner. Let's be honest.. if it wasn't for the alcohol content, we wouldn't give most booze house room.

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Might shock you to know Guigal CdR is under a tenner. In fact knowing Marchbanks he probably got them for £5.
    You are right if it wasn't for the alcohol content it would be grape juice and we would not be talking about it. And it would be neither booze nor in the house.

Mullardman likes this.
  18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I really hate heavy bottles for all manner of reasons, it so goes against the grain as regards environmentalism, and I'm very surprised that JC is doing it now. All the bottles on my shelves up to 16 are standard Burgundy bottles.

19. Marchbanks

Odd, as it is the 2015 Isabelle that arrived yesterday that I’m talking about. The only Burgundy bottles I possess contain Saint-Bris and Côtes d’Auxerre, and they measure 81mm in diameter at the base, whereas the ABC bottles are 93mm, writes Outraged of Warwickshire. Haven’t I got anything better to do on a dark winter afternoon than go down into the cellar brandishing my measuring calipers? Evidently not - I had to fetch some Pink Fir Apple out of there anyway, that’s my excuse. First World problems writ large, eh?

Ha bloomin’ ha.

In fact the first of the 2015s (bought in January) cost me £5.57, according to CT. The most recent (October) were £6.17. Both en promo of course. When I was last over there a couple of weeks ago the 2016s were coming on stream. They should be well worth hoovering up, I’d have thought. I’ll have a hunt for the during the March wine fairs, assuming we are still in some kind of duty transition period with the EU at that stage.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM
  20. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I'll see your Rhône and raise you an Aussie Shiraz: Art Series this evening. Better get it ready those Aussie corks take ages to extract ;)