1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Movies

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Woodface, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

All this recent talk about 'The Irishman' has made me think what warrants being called a classic film. I suppose there are certain established works in the cannon but I thought it may be useful to highlight some selections which are about to be shown 'free to air'.

My first selection is 'Bunny Lake is Missing', this is on 'Talking Pics TV' tomorrow at 10pm. A nice overview can be found here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Lake_Is_Missing.

I tended to find Lawrence Olivier's on-screen performances rather hammy but he is brilliant in this. Hope you can find the time to watch & enjoy it.

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Olivier was also wonderful in ‘The Entertainer’ which was on TV (maybe Talking Pictures) not very long ago.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Not a film I’ve heard of, but I’ve set the recorder!

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I don't think I've ever seen it.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, quite a cult film, brilliant Director & rather unsettling.

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i just love this film on talking pics , lunatic driving

irons1965 likes this.
  7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, very good film that. From memory it has an excellent performance from Syd James who is a fine actor in 'straight' roles.

Is Stanley Baker the lead?

8. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Great Expectations.

12 Angry Men.

White Heat.

9. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Yes, Stanley Baker. Some seriously sped-up driving sequences in Hell Drivers!

I remember lying on a hotel bed in a seriously post-prandial state many years ago - around thirty-five probably - watching a midnight movie called Joe MacBeth (Macbeth set in the ‘30s US underworld) and wondering how I could be hallucinating so badly as to imagine the Banquo character was being played by Sid James.

I’ve also watched a lot of Sellers’ films on Talking Pictures recently. Odd how his work splits into pre-Britt (great) and post-Britt (mediocre.) Puts me in mind of someone else.

10. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING is good. Plus there are also clips of The Zombies performing!

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Stanley Baker was only 48 when he died, makes us mortals feel quite inadequate.

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, forgot about that.

13. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I used to enjoy stumbling over films I'd never heard of and finding a gem or two.

'Sleuth' springs to mind as one of the first ones I saw totally by chance and thoroughly enjoyed, avoid the remake by Branagh with Jude Law though, utterly terrible.

Woodface likes this.
  14. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

King Pin.

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Is that the one with Bill Murray & the comb over?

16. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Top Hat, with Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers. It was on BBC 2 yesterday. I kind of watched it by accident. What an amazing pair they were.

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He was quite a decent singer also, didn't have much of voice but phrased well.

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

"Le Mans," the one with Steve McQueen. Saw it last night, and in its unique, strange way a masterpiece!

hifinutt likes this.
  19. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

Certainly was. Woody Harrelson was excellent throughout.

20. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

And that Tag watch!