1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

classical music pointers please

Discussion in 'classical' started by jan tomczak, Jun 3, 2019.

1. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

hoping some of you guys can point me towards some dramatic and exciting classical pieces (instrumental) preferably...my fav at the moment is 'summer presto' from vivaldi's four seasons.

tho i'm familiar with the usual famous pieces from various composers, i'm not sure who to search for in the exciting and dramatic range of this genre, any pointers will be much appreciated.

many thanks jt

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

3. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

4. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Shostakovich's 5th Symphony is fairly dynamic - especially when the finale is played as fast as this: most of the time the closing bars are played at a sort of ceremonial walking pace whereas this is Usain Bolt-fast. This is my third-favourite symphony behind Mahler's 2nd and 3rd symphonies and I don't expect it slip down the rankings anytime soon if ever!

jan tomczak likes this.
  5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

Shostakovich is a very good place to start, especially if you like a mixture of the gaunt, the cinematic, and all the Gestalt shift "was he a sap or a rebel" background. The 4th Symphony is a personal favourite, but the violin, cello and piano concertos (especially the 1st Violin Concerto) are superb. The chamber music isn't bad either - I suggest the Sonata for Violin and Piano Op134 in particular.

Slightly more conventionally, Mahler, Beethoven symphonies (choose performances carefully).

jan tomczak likes this.
  6. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

Mussorgsky - Night on Bare Mountain certainly sounds like it’d fit the bill.

I like Shostakovich’s second cello concerto, and his dramatic 5th symphony mentioned above also has the dubious distinction of being a dead ringer for the tune Cameron hummed after his resignation speech.

There are different modes of dramatic, too - some of Allan Pettersson’s stuff is lesser known and very dramatic, but it’s definitely not jolly. Here’s a taste:

jan tomczak likes this.
  7. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

thanks windhoek, will listen...

8. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

thanks tim

9. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

cheers dave...

10. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

11. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

No messing. Get Shostokovich Symphony 11 and blow away the cobwebs. Non classical friends of mine have been mighty impressed by the sheer power and scale of an orchestra doing a decent battle scene. Some of hits as hard as any rock music.

As been mentioned - Mahler 2 and 3 are good too. I think it was written many years ago that Mahler only became truly popular when hifi systems came along that could play it well. Then yo u could appreciate it.

Much Bruckner is on a big scale too. Got a certain grandeur about it!

Something more tuneful? - try a drop of Finlandia (Sibelius) for a change.

Try all different versions of Mussorgy's Pictures at an Exhibition. You might recognise some of the tunes. Piano, Orchestra and Tomita and ELP versions are all worthy and fun.

jan tomczak likes this.
  12. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Just get any "twenty classical faves" CD box from WHSmith or anywhere else, note down the ones you quite like, then come back and ask here for recommendations for full recordings.

I have to take issue with some of the recommendations here. You don't tell someone who has just bought their first pair of walking shoes to climb the north face of the Matterhorn.

jan tomczak likes this.
  13. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Liszt and Enescu rhapsodies worth a try.

jan tomczak likes this.
  14. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Tchaikovsky Pathetique Symphony and symphony no 5

Wagner Orchestral Excerpts, including Ride of the Valkyries and Siegfried’s Rhine Journey

Copland Rodeo, Appalachian Spring and Fanfarenfor the Common Man

Korngold Film Music

Khachaturian Gayaneh/Spartacus

Rachmaninov Symphony number 2

Beethoven Symphonies 5 and 7

Mendelssohn Italian Shmphony

Tchaikovsky 1st Piano Concerto

Grieg Piano Concerto

Saint-Saens Symphony number 2/Danse Macabre

Schubert Unfinished Symphony

Richard Strauss Alpine Symphony

Holst the Planets

Elgar Enigma Variations

You could get Tidal or Qobuz free for a while and try some stuff out. Tell us what you like and we can better tailor suggestions.

For instance as the Vivaldi is your current favourite, I’d say you should definitely have a listen to these two CDs:

Corelli: 12 Concerti Grossi, Op 6 /Pinnock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001CKR1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zZJ9CbCVE2ATD

Biber: Requiem Battalia Choral Works Sonatas https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00005BCCG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O3J9CbZ8PS6Z2

The second one particularly for the awesome and mind blowing Battalia! Music written then just shouldn’t sound like that.

15. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

I disagree, mostly. I suppose some people might be put off if their early experiences are incomprehensible to them, but recommending the kind of boring ‘no bits you can’t hum’ stuff that I was often exposed to when wanting to know more about classical music as a kid can be no less frustrating. Not that I’m saying you’re recommending boring things, just that it’s not necessarily useful to tentatively creep into this stuff. I’m sure we’ve all come across something like an artist who says ‘yeah as a kid, all, this Rembrandt etc left me cold, and it wasn’t until I saw some Munch (or whatever) that I realised what art could be’.

It’d have been far more interesting to me as a curious teenager to know that Pettersson existed, or to have read about Shostakovich sleeping outside the front door so that if ‘they’ came for him in the night, his family might be spared, than to hear yet another boring (subjectively, obvs, not necessarily to anyone else) Classic FM confection.

Anyway, something a bit less dark and a bit more excitingly exuberant, the finale from Tchaikovsky’s 4th, and by many accounts one of the more exciting renditions of it:

16. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Mravinsky’s Great!

PsB and Barrymagrec like this.
  17. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

Some from just outside the standard popular repertoire that might fit the description:
    Walton 1st Symphony, the first movement in particular.
    Vaughan Williams - Job
    Holst - Perfect Fool ballet music
    Britten - Four Sea Interludes
    Debussy - La Mer
    Mendelssohn- Hebrides overture (but may be known already)
    Schumann - Manfred overture

jan tomczak likes this.
  18. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

nothing more dramatic than this:

"The piece Hekla, Op 52 (1964) by Icelandic composer Jón Leifs, has been called the "loudest classical music of all time". The requirements for a performance of Hekla include four sets of rocks hit with hammers, steel plates, anvils, sirens, cannons, metal chains, choir, a large orchestra, and organ."

Only available on cd! (THEY DON'T MAKE RECORDS DEEP ENOUGH FOR THIS ONE)

Takes a bit to get into...

herb, Dave***t and jan tomczak like this.
  19. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

excellent, thanks for taking the time to make that list...i use both tidal and qobuz so i will have fun searching

20. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

lovely thanks helen