1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Clive G: RIP

Discussion in 'audio' started by bonzo75, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:40 AM.

1. bonzo75

bonzo75 horns, planars, tannoys

Hi all, Clive's wife Christina contacted me that Clive G has passed away, and his equipment will have to be sold. Clive was a long standing audiophile and real gentleman, and had been suffering from cancer for a few years.

I had written on his system in a blog after a few visits here. http://zero-distortion.org/schopper-thorens-124/

I know that he still has the Schopper TD 124 (which was preferred by us to his Shindo Garrard, the Audiograil 301 in BobC plinth, and he previously had an SME 30/2 and a Brinkmann Lagrange with Davinci Grandezza and preferred the Schopper to all). It was the full Schopper shabang that he had got at 9k euro from schopper, with the power supply, and had mounted an FR 64s on it and a Brinkmann 10.5 on a mount made my speedy steve next to it. If the conditions for Covid 19 etc improve I will buy this myself, but in the meantime, if anyone is interested, PM me and I can put you on to Christina

He had a Shindo Giscours preamp with built in phono which I understand is the best in the Shindo line-up. He also had their top monos.

He had Tannoys with 15 golds in them, and also red drivers he had up for sale. Not sure if sold the drivers.

He had bought the Radford 100 from montesquieu, and a great collection of LPs, many originals, mostly classical, some Jazz.

When I can get there I will get some pics up, and list in the classifieds section. If anyone else is in contact with Christina here, feel free to help.

2. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Sorry to read this. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

He has some great audio kit there - it's good that someone like you can help his wife with the eventual sale.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  3. DAVEDWACK

DAVEDWACK pfm Member

Oh dear, such a shame.

R.I.P. Clive, my commiserations to the family.

4. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Very sorry to hear this sad news, condolences to his family.

I went to see Clive last year when I bought his other Thorens deck. A real gent and a great system, the Shindo pre, the restored decks and his collection of EMT/SPU carts was pretty amazing. RIP.

5. bonzo75

I had heard his zyx universe 2 and Miyajima madake and the zero. Which EMT and SPU did he have

6. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

I'm not sure but I think I may have purchased from Clive around this time last year via ebay, if he was parting with a few cartridges and headshells at that time? He was a gent to deal with if it is the same Clive, very sad to hear of his passing.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's sad. Still, if you are able to help with the sale of some lovely items then they will be sold to someone who appreciates them and will use them accordingly, and they'll pay the right price so everyone gets a fair deal.

8. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Sad news. Glad there's someone close to ensure his widow gets a fair market price for his kit.

hifinutt likes this.
  9. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

He had them in a box all together. There were some vintage ones and newer ones too. Not sure which models now.

10. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Clive was one of the nicest blokes I've met, popped down to see him last summer when he went back into hospital and he wasn't optimistic but still had loads of fight in him.

Bought an Io Gold off him and got the FR64s for my TD124 on the basis of hearing his TT.

11. is this Clive Groom? if so a gent and kind man, I bought my speakers from him back in 2015 - Wonderful system

RIP

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very sad news indeed, RIP.

13. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

For me, it's terribly sad to hear of anyone passing and leaving a grieving widow. RIP and I hope his widow is getting all the support she needs.

14. Orbe Chaser

Orbe Chaser pfm Member

Very very sad news, I am proud that I could call him a friend of mine, a lovely man who will be very much missed.

15. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Very sad. Total gent who also knew his onions. Will be missed for sure.

16. sjs

sjs Trade: SJS Electroacoustics

Very sad to hear this, Clive was a really lovely guy with so much knowledge and enthusiasm for his kit. I met him in person this time last year when I bought his FR-64s. I hope his widow gets all the help she needs.

17. Down in Devon

Down in Devon New Member

Sad news indeed.
    I believe he had sold off a number of items some mentioned above, plus the Cusworth 301 (to Mik), the Brinkmann, and maybe the red drivers and crossovers...

bonzo75 likes this.
  18. bonzo75

Yes the Garrard was sold that I know