1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CNC for MDF cabinet panels

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Adam N, May 18, 2020.

1. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

I'm just wondering if anyone here uses a CNC or has access to one and can machine some 12mm MDF panels? There are a few places online but many won't take the order as it's relatively small or the costs are prohibitive.

I wanted to cut and route some test panels in 12mm MDF which I could probably do with the rip saw and router but wanted to try here first before I dust off my wobbly Black and Decker workmate!

Cheers

Adam

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

The cost will be in programming and set-up, so for what you want, the cost will be totally horrible. You might cut the cost somewhat if you can give them a file that they can generate a program from (can't remember the file type).

3. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Usually a DXF file, find a local CNC firm to save postage.

4. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Even if you can provide a DXF they'll need to produce the code for the cutting and work out the tool paths. So a one off will still be expensive.

5. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

I'd still get a quote if I were you. A signmaker or sign trade supplier may have a flatbed, an outline with driver holes is pretty basic stuff and you could add finishing touches with your own router etc at home.
    For 2D you should be able to provide them with a suitable vector format file which they can rip to a cutting file.
    I think Tenson of this parish had a DIY flatbed on which he cut the panels for his Kickstarter kits, he's maybe willing to advise and maybe help you get the files into the correct format.

6. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Find your local kitchen fitter. I got my Tannoy front baffles cut and rebated by a local company from my plans. £40 the pair.

7. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Ah harrrr.....and here's me thinking jeez John is a dab hand..;-)

orangeart, Fatmarley and Rockmeister like this.
  8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Damn...I did do the rest tho

cooky1257 likes this.
  9. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

I once jokingly said that pfm should club together and get a CNC router table. The cost for a basic 8'x4' machine used to be around £10k but I saw this DIY version recently http://sheetcnc.co.uk/

They are quoting under £3400 to get it up and running. I just need a bigger shed.

Adam N likes this.
  10. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

The other potential way to get your work done is to see if you have a "maker space" near you. They often have CNC and experts willing to teach you how to use it. There will be a membership fee and a usage fee but usually not high.

Adam N likes this.
  11. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Great idea, thanks!

12. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Those cheap/DIY CNC machines are usually not stiff enough so you either end up with a bad finish because the bit chatters around or you break a lot of bits.

13. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Yes, some do have too weak a frame if cheaply made but for most, it also depends on what speed you're trying to route a particular material at and the router itself. They're not AXYZ's but I've seen a couple of well built DIY jobs do a good imitation.
    Having said that, seeing an AXYZ 6010 in action is great, it just looks so effortless.

14. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Before I bought a decent one, I had one made from aluminium extrusions, which was just about stiff enough, but you were forever tweaking all the bolts tighter.

JimmyB likes this.
  15. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Try Wilmslow Audio, they'll do it no doubt!

Adam N likes this.
  16. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Quick question, what gap do you leave between panels for push fit and for glue? Currently I'm leaving 0.25mm so a total of 0.5mm for two edges, but that may be a bit mean.

[​IMG]

17. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Depends which glue you use, water based PVA shrinks and liquid or gel PU glues expand.

Is 0.25 mm really that critical on speaker cabs ?

Does the CNC machine compensate for wear on the cutter for example.

18. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Out of interest, what did you buy in the end? Was looking at these when I ran my own business but decided I couldn't get the throughput to justify it.

19. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

It's not quite that, the panel has to drop in to a frame so needs clearance. If it's cut true it won't actually fit or would be difficult to push in so I was wondering what sort of tolerance all the way round for the panel to go in but not be too loose.

20. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

.25mm all round so .5m O/D

Adam N likes this.