1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Colophony Free Solder?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by cjsims86, Mar 24, 2010.

1. cjsims86

cjsims86 pfm Member

Found some reels of 4% silver solder at work after a clear out. The reels say it contains colophony free flux. Does anybody know the merits of having your flux free of colophony? Does flux normally contain colophony? What the hell is colophony?:confused:

Sounds like a problem with the lower intestine.

"How's your Ted keepin' Mrs Arkwright?".

"Ooh he's been up all night, he's a martyr to that colophony he is. Say's it's like a blood orange he does".:D

2. ClaraBannister

ClaraBannister pfm Member

Colophony is an alternative term for natural rosin, derived from pine trees which grew in Colophon in Lydia, now part of Turkey. It was highly esteemed for applying to the bows of stringed instruments from ancient times, and more recently as a flux in soldering. Presumably there are modern, synthetic alternatives. Rosin produces quite insistent fumes, which can cause respiratory problems.

3. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

Clara speaks the truth. There is health + safety lore that people can 'suddenly' become allergic to resin [which they choose to call 'Rosin'] fumes when they were fine before. If your job requires soldering, you could switch to 'colophony free' - which usually smell worse.

4. ClaraBannister

When I soldered a lot, I used to suffer something chronic from the fumes. Has anyone with some knowledge of Greek noticed the interesting alternative derivation of colophony, ie. something (rosin for a violin bow) that produces sound from catgut (sheep's intestine)? Very serendipitous.

5. Jiiim

Jiiim bodger extraordinaire

I wonder if it is possible to get cacophony free solder?

6. ClaraBannister

If you go to B and Q, you can buy metal-free steel wool. Seriously.