1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

"Coltrane's Sound"

Discussion in 'music' started by PaulMB, Aug 18, 2012.

1. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

When I was 16 I bought the LP, and over the years it has always been one of mt favourites. A few years ago I bought the CD of "Coltrane's Sound" and it sounds terrible! Dull, wooden, lifeless, like listening to it from the other side of a door.

Anybody know if there has been a better issue of the CD? This one is "Made in Germany," I can't find any other data or release dates on it. and there are a couple of "bonus tracks."

It might also have been a bad recording to begin with, since it seems to have been recorded in 1960 and only released in 1964.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Some details of the CD would be useful, e.g. label, catalogue number etc. Jazz is very widely pirated at present in the EU due to a 50 year copyright loophole.

PS certainly shouldn't sound bad at all, it's one of his classic Atlantic albums, which were all recorded in just a couple of sessions and released over a period of several years. I've got them all in the Heavyweight Champion box, which I've ended up owning on both vinyl and CD.

3. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

The sound quality of my cd copy has always been a great disappointment for the reasons that Paul states; especially on Equinox - the best track on the album, but very dull and recessed on the cd. I'm away now though so can't give you the cat number, but it was a standard UK Atlantic issue from the 90's. My cd of 'Coltrane Jazz' is excellent in comparison.

4. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Ah, good, or rather ah bad, I'm not the only one.
    The one I have is Atlantic, obviously, and the number seems to be 7567-81358-2. But it was Made in Germany and seems to have been aimed at the continental European market, with lots of text in German and French in addition to the basic English.

Ah well, can't win 'em all. Though it seems strange they could not produce a decent CD if the LP was good, unless the original tapes were lost or damaged.

5. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Ah, good, or rather ah bad, I'm not the only one.
    The one I have is Atlantic, obviously, and the number seems to be 7567-81358-2. But it was Made in Germany and seems to have been aimed at the continental European market, with lots of text in German and French in addition to the basic English.

Ah well, can't win 'em all. Though it seems strange they could not produce a decent CD if the LP was good, unless the original tapes were lost or damaged.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I've just quickly listened to Equinix from the Heavyweight Champion Apple Lossless CD rip I have on my MacBook and it sounds great to my ears via HD600s, certainly not dull or recessed at all. Wonderful in fact - I agree it's a great track!

PS Heavyweight Champion is up on Spotify.

7. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Hi Tony,
    So are you saying that you have a CD of "Coltrane's Sound" that is good quality? What is Heavyweight Champion Box? Is it an LP+CD offer?

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It sounds fine to my ears, no different to the rest of the Atlantic recordings. Heavyweight Champion is the Rhino / Atlantic box set of the whole Atlantic recordings plus out-takes. I've never had an original of 'Sound' to compare it against, but I can't hear anything not to like. The only annoyances are the CD box is in chronological rather than album order, and the vinyl is now long-deleted and crazy expensive!

9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I've had a look around Ebay, and it seems there have been 2 CD releases: One in 1988 on Atlantic, and another in 2004 on Rhino (which from what Tony writes would seem to be an offshoot of Atlantic). So perhaps Elephantears and I have the 1988 Atlantic issue which is not good, and the others have the 2004 release which is good.
    Certainly the 2004 version has a completely different catalogue number to mine.

10. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

This inspired to dig my black plastic copy out too. Sounds great and my long lost copy of psychocandy was in the same box !

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Coltrane's Sound can also be found in this bargain price Original Album Classics box. No idea which master it is though, but they tend to be very good IME.

12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

The Rhino one should be infinitely better SQ-wise.

13. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I have to confess that I hate "box sets." Perhaps because of my advanced age they remind me of Reader's Digest collections of "Beethoven's 9 Symphonies" or "100 Great moments in Music."
    Its purely neurotic, I know, but I've decided to go along with (some of) my neuroses.
    So I'll look out for the 2004 CD.
    Thanks everyone! PFM is really nice!

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

LOL, I'm the opposite - I'm a real sucker for a quick and easy way of buying a label's entire catalogue of an artist assuming it's someone of the stature of Coltrane, Miles Davis etc - my aim is to have all the major works of these artists on my laptop hard drive so I'm never without them.

15. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Yes, I certainly see your point. Much more rational than mine. But then I don't use a computer for music and I like the idea of "The Album." Of the finite assembly of tracks, even if it was, at the time, simply determined by the size of the 2 LP sides. A bit like if you know a certain photograph by, say, Man Ray was originally printed 10" x 12" you want to see it that size. I know it doesn't make much sense, but if I wasn't neurotic I probably wouldn't be here.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I'm with you on that. The box sets I like the most simply collect the albums, e.g. the huge Miles Davis Complete Columbia Albums box, which is just a big box with all the albums in their original sleeves inside. I find things like the CD version of The Heavyweight Champion or for that matter the Impulse Coltrane Classic Quartet box rather irritating as they've completely lost the album format and the tracks are simply presented in chronological order. Less of an issue on a computer than on CD, but I'd still prefer the original track order.

PS the Original Album Classics are just five original albums in mini card sleeves. I strongly suspect the Coltrane one I link to above is the 2004 master as I can see a Rhino logo on the rear of the box sleeve.

17. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

The 2004 issue of the album (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coltranes-S...2KOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345331329&sr=8-1) stems from the same re-mastering as the 1999 issue (http://www.amazon.com/Coltranes-Sou...d=1345331020&sr=1-2&keywords=coltrane's+sound) by Atlantic/Rhino, which was released with some fanfare at the time due to the new remasters (along with other Coltranes and some Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus etc in tatty grey paper cases -- and at full price).

The Heavyweight Champion set came out in 1995 and a re-masterer is mentioned in the booklet: Gene Paul/dB Plus. If anyone has one of the later incarnations, it would be interesting to know if these are the same remasterings.

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Getting more and more complicated....

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

And to make it even more complicated Steve Hoffman thinks the original CD issues are the best digital copies (link), and he'll have heard the actual masters.

20. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Just found that I have my 'Coltrane Jazz' cd with me on my travels. It is a French edition of Atlantic 7567-81344-2. Someone on Steve Hoffmann prefers the 'Atlantic Masters' edition of this, which I've not heard, but I think the original Atlantic is excellent. Perhaps the most satisfying and coherent of Atlantic Coltranes, if not the most ambitious. My favourite track has always been 'Like Sonny' - wonderful freedom and swing.