1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations that surprise you by working ridiculously well...

Discussion in 'audio' started by Nic Robinson, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

At the holiday house I've collected some odds and ends, including a serviced 33/303, an old Linn Classik Music (non-tuner) and my trusty old Spendor SP2s with new tweets.

After a bit of a move-around I ended up with the Linn and Spendors together to give a basic CD system without the need for other sources...not bad but nothing exceptional. Then I got to thinking...there's a pre-out on this thing, let's give the 303 a try (I happened to have a suitable lead).

All I can say is WOW! This sounds amazing. I think the CD player in the Classik must be far better than I imagined and its pre-amp section is no slouch. Partnered with the lovely Quad and Spendors the sound is rich, detailed, enormously sweet and smooth but with enough bite for those transients and for music of the popular idiom.

What a fabulous combination, true serendipity.

I bet others will have stories of unlikely combinations that...just worked.

2. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Linn Axis/LVX/Goldring Eroica/Linx Nebula/Shahinian Compass.

UQ2/Nait2/SL2.

3. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

A bit left field but l tried my Ortofon 2M Red in my Maxxed out Gyrodec/ SME V and the combo sounded blooming good.:eek:

4. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Nic

When I give it some thought, not really surprised. Some combinations just jell together and we forget how really good some older equipment can be. Unforunately, on a couple of occasions I learned this lesson after the fact.

May I ask where you sourced your replacement SP-2 tweeter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

6. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

naim 62/90 with Klipsch KG 3.5. Oddly wonderful.

Once ran my LP12 into an old Akai receiver and some stand mounted Pioneer things. Boogied all night.

7. radamel

radamel Music Fiend

Lyngdorf TDAI2200 and Monitor Audio GX300.

Here's an amp that seldom convinced me but works very well with the MAs IME.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A £100 T-Amp (Amptastic, Temple etc) and a pair of huge Klipsch horns is enough to re-write the 'front first' system building mantra. It's actually not a bad way at all of spending that money, though I'd upgrade to some tubes later when budget permitted.

PS A 303 sounding lovely driving a classic BBC 2' x 1' box (BC1, 3/6 etc) is no huge surprise to me! ;-)

9. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

True. But what surprises me is the quality of the Linn's CD/Dac/Pre combo. Great stuff.

10. mjw

mjw pfm Member

I have two that really satisfy, the first being more surprising than the second:
    A Koetsu Red Signature on an Amadeus GTA. Included here because of the incongruity of pricing but it works very well, as at least one member of this forum will testify.
    The second is ALAC files on an iPad2 via an Apple camera connector into a Beresford Caiman. It was more an academic exercise based on reading elsewhere on this forum and I had no great expectations but it sounds really good in my 2nd system.

11. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

An old pair of British 2 ways with disproportionately expensive HiFi behind them.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Richard (Lordsummit) had a Linn Classic for a while driving his little AVI Neutron Vs. It was rather good IMO, seemed free from the usual digital glare/nasties and had a nice spacial feel. Much better than I would have expected from a budget all-in-one.

13. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

Devialet 400s and Spendor SP100/R2;

Electrocompaniet ECM 5-Mk 2 and Tannoy Kensington Golds;

Musical Fidelity A1 and Falcon Acoustics LS 3/5As.

Amazing synergy all round.

14. linntroika

linntroika pfm Member

Naim 52/ Dynavector HX1.2mk2

15. badger748

badger748 pfm Member

Combinations that surprise you by working ridiculously well...

Me and my current girlfriend.

16. Joddle

Joddle pfm Member

Despite being a ridiculous mis-match For a while in the late 80s I had to use a little Arcam Alpha 2 to drive Linn Sara 9s. Despite the hard load the little Alpha sounded surprisingly sweet with a Garrard 401 TT and early Marantz bit stream CD - so much so that the same combination was used at a local hi fi listening evening a few weeks later - (I then later used a Rega Planar 2 as the 401 in its plinth was too big to carry around) and received several comments on how good it sounded and requests for a repeat performance! On one occasion we used two Alphas to drive the Saras, one for left and one for right. (a bit silly now thinking back on it and no one could tell the difference!) I still have my little Alpha which although now paired with more suitable speakers and almost 30 years old, forms the basis for a great sounding little system at our holiday home.

17. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Cambridge Audio CD4, Exposure X and Mk1 Kans - my sister's set up. A fantastically, vivid and exciting little system.

Sausage and marmalade sandwiches.

Rich

18. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

A PS1 (playstation model SCPH-1002), and Akai AA-1020 (serviced) running into a pair of Mission M72s - astonishingly good combination, and you can get the whole lot for under £100 if one is patient on bidding sites. The AA-1020 is a real star once recapped.

19. Patcam

Patcam pfm Member

Original Rega Planar 3 with Linn K9, Musical Fidelity A1 in 13 x 11 room AND.......

tell you in a few posts time

20. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Cheese and Marmalade sandwiches. I have converted several people to these over the years...