1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

compilation help

Discussion in 'music' started by graystoke4, May 11, 2019.

1. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

hi , first i understand compilation cd's are not held in great esteem, but i don.t really need anymore than this , at the moment, so here goes,
    motorhead best of
    ACDC best of
    t-rex best of
    there are so many of these things out there, especially t-rex
    so a picture of the cover would be the best resolution i think, thanks for any help

2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I am not sure what you are after, but I have a Thin Lizzy compilation that I keep in the car. And a Beach Boys comp. as well.

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

This ticks all the boxes for Motorhead:

[​IMG]

Not enough from "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" but very good nevertheless.

4. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

I could be wrong, but aren’t AC/DC famous for their ani-compilation stance? You might have to lump it with a live album if you want all the hits in one package.

5. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

6. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

7. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

Nope no official AC/DC compilation. A few live albums of which 'If You Want Blood' is very good (but Bon Scott era only). 'Live at the River Plate' has the best overview of tracks and is a cracking Blu-ray too.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There were only a few compilations released in Bolan’s lifetime, specifically The Best Of T.Rex, which is the early Tyrannosaurus Rex era stuff, Bolan Boogie, which is the Fly label stuff, and Great Hits, which appears to be deleted and covers the EMI era. These were useful as he was so prolific that huge numbers of tracks only appeared as singles, b-sides etc.

Personally I’d just buy Electric Warrior and The Slider for starters. I’d avoid all the cheesy cash-ins that have appeared since his death anyway.

9. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Bolan Boogie is a very good best of, the only track really missing is "One Inch Rock".

10. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

really don't want any more than the best of's, not a huge bolan fan but he did make some great music, anymore than 20 tracks would be overkill, same for the rest of my choices,
    i am looking for good sound quality though,

11. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Sorta, kinda two!
    Who Made Who
    Iron Man 2 soundtrack

Neither in as many words but effectively yes despite not being definitive...

12. neildalton

neildalton pfm Member

I’d agree with Tony. Electric Warrior captures T Rex at their best - warm, loose, playful, stealing madly from anyone they loved, and enjoying their moment in the sun before the big guns (Bowie, Roxy) arrived. Nothing before or since goes near this.

If you had to buy a second Bolan recording, personally I’d make it Bolan Boogie. It’s got most of the interesting B-sides (esp. There Was a Time/Raw Ramp), as well as other curios.

Like everything about Bolan, they’re way daft of course - but these were the recordings where the charm continues to carry a residual charge.