1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordless Drill

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Vinny, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM.

1. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

I bought a DeWalt 18v drill with 2 batteries a few years back at Screwfix for £99, they still come up at that price - just checked, there's one now. It's never missed a beat and has very sporadic use. The batteries don't self-discharge (I think they're still NiCd at that price, but no issues).

My dad still wanted to know why I didn't buy Makita - he being a chippie, swore by them. The drills were indestructible and batteries readily available.

2. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Funny I was just about to say... my Ryobi “One+”impact driver, and round sheet sander have had a pretty severe life here for DIY kit ( huge deck with many thousands of 80mm screws, and sanding the whole exterior cladding. Very very pleased and on that basis I would not hesitate to get the matching cordless hammer drill . It’s on the list.

hifinutt, Spike and window-licker-65 like this.
  3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I've had a Makita 18V combi for a few years. Still going strong - it has a hammer function but it doesn't make holes in brick very well.

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

My Maktec must be approaching 20 years old, it is certainly well over 10 and one battery is still just about usable. Maybe now defunct but Maktec was/is the hi-spec'-DIY label of Makita with orange bodies instead of the usual grey-blue-greenish.

Prices can be misleading as what they are for varies - body only, plus one battery, plus more than one battery, plus battery and charger...……………..

Well, after searching both Dewalt and Bosch professional, I found that one too, and it should arrive tomorrow. (Extra batteries start at around £35 each.....)

Thanks again.

5. Spike

Spike pfm Member

hifinutt likes this.
  6. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I am a big Makita fan I have 6 cordless drills plus routers, saw biscuit joiner, chop saws sanders etc all work faultlessly.

Pete

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Makita are very good, but very far from cheap.
    I am a big Axminster White fan, but Axminster seem to have dropped the line a long time ago.

I have a mother of a router and a big compound mitre saw (not easy to lift and move around), both of which cost relative peanuts maybe 10-12 years back. Both will see me out.

8. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

I'm sure you will be happy. I have been absolutely amazed by the cordless kit (as a recent adopter) - My Ryobi impact driver is just ridiculously powerful. I almost never never need to use power level 3 even for big screws. The chainsaw has been great too - used on far bigger stuff than rated but its been a lovely thing to use. I have a couple of hedge trimmers and pole chainsaw. The only lemon so far is the handheld vacuum - it sucks or rather doesn't - primitive design. The batteries and chargers are expensive but after that the tools not too bad.

Spike that looks like a fabulous bargain. Not sure I trust the postage or anything at the moment but that's exactly what I need to fill a gap!

9. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

Bought SWMBO'd a set of Ryobi 1+ - this was some years ago and frankly not terribly impressed - but I'm comparing it to their sister companies Milwaukee Tools which are my daily users. I initially purchased these because of their red color -work in high crime areas and kept comin' around corners with my black Panasonic drills in hand and scarin folks who thought it was a pistol -not a good thing in neighborhoods where carryn' is routine. I have decades of using their cordless tools in at this point and am particularly impressed with both the durability and ability to buy spare parts as needed. The whole cordless drill biz is a bit peculiar - I eventually replaced several of the Ryobi tools with Milwaukee's -simply because seasonal "packages"-that came with multiple battery packs and a charger were within 20-30 bucks of just buyin the two battery packs ? ALL the cordless tool companies seem to do this periodically - almost give away the tool to get you started on addiction to their battery system.Another variation on the give 'em the razor -sell 'em the blades idea.

10. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

I have their middle size pull saw, brilliant.

11. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I have the Ls1013 and the Ls1013 chop saws total beasts.

Pete

12. DuncanF

DuncanF pfm Member

I've found Hitachi to be reliable and tough.

13. jagdesign

jagdesign pfm Member

I've got a Bosch Blue which is great for the occasional use it gets at home, there's some run-out on the chuck which does annoy me a bit.

At work, we've got some brushless Makita's which are a delight to use, but not cheap.

14. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

I ended up with brushless DeWalt, giving longer battery life between charges.