1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - Making Your Stuff Last Longer

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Stemcor, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

In these challenging times when there’s very little in the shops, how are you going to make what you have last a little longer ?

Mrs S told me that when she was a young girl that her mother would take a 2 ply tissue and then divide it into 2 x 1 ply tissues so they would last twice as long. Brilliant.

Anybody else got any advice or tips for maximising their resources ? Let’s get thrifty !

2. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Eat less, $hit less

linnfomaniac83 and Shadders like this.
  3. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

Use the bread loaf crusts, eat the things that are slightly out of date that you used to throw away, eat grass.

4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Tinned and dry goods - bugger the use by dates!

darrenyeats and cctaylor like this.
  5. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Meal plan with what you have to make sure you waste nothing, especially perishables. The amount of food that most people throw away every week is disgraceful.

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Crusts are the best bits.
    I have never taken any notice of BBE dates on anything, just used my nose. I have eaten stuff 2-3 (probably more) years after BBE and it tasted fine.
    Apart from trimmings from veg', VERY little gets binned here and not much veg' gets peeled either.

More suggestions?

Nic Robinson and Alex S like this.
  7. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

They usually have best before so you're usually OK. Two days ago, Mrs Seeker and I had a tin of chicken and sweetcorn soup that was BBE 07/2019 and we're still alive.

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Turn tired veg, brocolli stalks, cauli stalks, etc into soup.
    Boil with a stock cube.
    Whizz up.
    Jobs a good un.

Nic Robinson, andrew d and Rob998 like this.
  9. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Rather than buying meat, get some pet lizards and just eat the tails.

If you peel vegetables, boil the peel to make stock.

A lovely lady I used to work with used to remove snails from people's gardens for a fee, keep them in a bucket for a few days until their digestive tracts were clear x then cook them up. They tasted OK.
    https://www.misssnailpail.org/

sam_cat likes this.
  10. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

There is no food shortage and there won’t be any.

admittedly, supermarkets are a bad place to hang out these days, so I might buy more often from local farms. Essentially potatoes, carrots, cabbage. Why not make cabbage wraps now we’ve got the time for it !

11. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

Be careful of eating mince that has been just left out sat there for a few days. Soon go through your toilet rolls.

12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

we dont bother with the dates either

we had a broccoli stalk stir fry with our dinner last night

13. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Broccoli stems can be sliced up and steamed with the rest. Perfectly edible.

[edit] I’m not the first to mention this!

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Absolutely correct. BB and BBE are advisory. It will be past its best but edible. DO NOT ignore Use By, eating after this date can make you sick. Not every time, and probably not on the first day after, but it depends on if you feel lucky.

darrenyeats likes this.
  15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Cook proper meals from basic ingredients. You'll eat better and waste very little.

16. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Be careful of eating mice that has been just left out sat there for a few days. Soon go through your toilet rolls

tqineil and gintonic like this.
  17. gintonic

cant reply in other thread -

when we had milk we used to freeze it in icecube trays or bags

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I can't believe anyone ever throws food away anyway, it just doesn't compute.

I mainly live off my own fresh batch cooked meals that have been frozen, partly due to laziness and partly down to restricted time/energy during the week to cook meals after work so there's little, if any waste.

Nic Robinson and Cheese like this.
  19. gintonic

me too, our food waste levels are exceptionally low.

We plan our cooking carefully, buy accordingly and then cook and freeze at the weekend.

20. matt j

matt j pfm Member

It's also not hard to keep track of what is on the way out and use it before it needs to be binned, I don't get it...

gintonic likes this.