1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus masks?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Ragaman, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Anyone know of somewhere to get these, in stock.

AlphaFlow moulded AMF-3V FFP3 respirator mask

Seems it's the best mask to stop the virus entering the nose & mouth when out & about.

Desperate.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

if that worried dont go out.......

3. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Not so simple in my case, hence the need for the mask.

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You can't get them. The hospitals and emergency services are grabbing all the P3 masks.

5. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Oh the few people I saw walking around with masks, several wore them below the chin... very useful isn’t it. It looks like they aren’t very comfortable to wear and breathe through.

6. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

7. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

8. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

check for stock - I took a look at 100 mile radius and none in store, none for delivery

9. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

No local stock.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Improvise. Cut a cuff out of a pair of tights, place round head, over nose and mouth with a suitable piece of filter material.

11. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

And the "life" of these, as in how often they have to be changed?

My total shot in the dark guess - 45-60 minutes? I just cannot be bothered to look it up.

13. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

They're single shift masks then 8 hours. You can re-use if you store them in a sterile environment

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'd have thought a P3 mask could be reused a few times if you're in a low risk environment i.e. not a hospital ward.

Good luck buying one though. London paramedics responding to suspected C19 cases are currently rationed to one mask between two...

Lots of people seem to be making these DIY cloth masks. Honestly no idea how effective they are but if it stops people coughing over each other that at least is a good thing. https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/

15. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I've just taken a look at the link...……………

I have spent hundreds of hours working in various forms of mask, aimed at protecting against mildly toxic and nuisance dust in the main. I'd not want to spend an hour in one of those. They clog with moisture from your breath and the sweat that pours off you inside one of them for a start. If you don't sweat profusely you aren't using and/or fitting it correctly. Even air masks, fitted with a compressed air flush, make you sweat.

I really am unsure of the sanity/common-sense of most people.
    How many fold has the demand for masks increased across the world? 1000-fold? Probably being conservative at that. Does anyone REALLY think that the manufacturing facilities across the world have been sitting 99.9% idle since they were built?

16. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Most masks are only effective for 20 minutes and then need replacing so certainly not enough available for this . They are a help to stop transfer as it would help to stop peoples coughs from spreading out , presumably that was the idea in china with plenty of masks worn

jackbarron likes this.
  17. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Comfort blankets suspended from the ears.

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

if they are coughing they shouldn’t be out!

Covkxw likes this.
  19. billo

billo pfm Member

And as an added bonus All the money you want from the bank or Post Office

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  20. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I see lots of people wearing masks the wrong way.
    To be effective masks have to provide a tight fit.
    beards are a no no. You needs to be clean shaved
    The area around the nose must be pressed to provide a tight fit.
    There are 2 types of disposable masks
    D - disposable after a 8h use
    RD - re usable disposable. These can be used several times (check manufactures guidance)