1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus profiteering

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Natara, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:33 PM.

1. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Just paid £3 for a cauliflower in Hove East Sussex. Either that or join the cue at Tescos 50 to 60 people strong.
    I did that a few days ago only to find bare shelves.

2. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I expect to pay a bit of a premium at smaller ‘corner shop’ grocers and the owners are providing a really valuable service but that’s one thing and then there is out right taking the piss.

3. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Even the supermarkets did this at the beginning, capitalising on the Governments uncertainty/ slow start.

4. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

The fella who runs my village shop told me that when his suppliers presented him with his bill for his last veg order it gone from the previous £650 up to £1100. Apparently this was explained as being down to 'market forces'. He now has to explain to his customers (many of whom are elderly and he delivers to) that their veg boxes have increased in price by 40%.

5. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Prices are going to go up. There is a severe shortage of labour out on the farms!

6. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

That's nearly 70%.

7. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

CEX put up the prices of their Xboxes and PlayStations by £50 last week, in anticipation of parents not being arsed to homeschool their kids properly and wanting a way to keep them occupied. They’re flying out of their shops/warehouse.

8. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Yes, a big increase. The overall cost to the punters has gone up by a lesser amount as part of that is the delivery charge, which he hasn't put up.

9. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Sports Direct raised prices on a lot of 'in the house' items like dartboards, dumbbells etc a few days ago. Why am I surprised - it's just being used to backfill the lack of funds now they have had to begrudgingly accept the instruction to close.

10. myles

Cor, what ****ing scumbags....or am I just being naive?

11. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Bit of both I suppose, those kinds of stores will always charge what the market will stand.

12. garyi

garyi leave blank

I am not sure what you would expect a shop selling for profit to do? Last time I was in there I asked if there was really still a market for DVDs and he said they did 70 million trades of them last year. Couldnt believe that.

But yes, ultimately if everyone suddenly wants Xboxes the price will go up, its inevitable.

Wilson and Linds like this.
  13. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

I really hope Sports Direct and Wetherspoons are named and shamed. For ever.

domfjbrown likes this.
  14. myles

Well everyone wants Xboxes at Christmas and all the stores compete using low prices to pull in customers. I'm not having demand being a driver, unless supply is a real issue, which for the likes of Cex isn't an issue.

15. myles

I think they'll be marked for what they are in the same way that The Sun is regarded in Liverpool. Or so I hope.

Weekender, koi, Rob998 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I hope they disappear.

Weekender likes this.
  17. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

I was thinking of profiteering by buying all the E45 cream I can find. There's going to a plague of dry skin and eczema what with all the extra hand washing. That'll show all those goons that jumped on the bogroll and sanitiser bandwagon.

guydarryl, Alex S and TheDecameron like this.
  18. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

How much was the cauliflower in a Hove independent shop before? £2.50?

matt j likes this.
  19. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Yeah but for £2.50 in Hove you get an organic, artisinal chou-fleur.

Weekender likes this.
  20. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I am still waiting for Jez to have one of his rants...and rant about his beloved 'Spoons.

He has been strangely silent about them.

Wilson likes this.