1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus profiteering

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Natara, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:33 PM.

1. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I've lived in Hove my whole life and there is a very large working class community here who unlike you unless of course you googled it probably wouldn't know what a cho - fluer (in italics) was and for your information I normally shop in Aldi where a cauliflower is usually less than £1.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  2. garyi

garyi leave blank

Yet CEX at christmas don't lower the prices of their xboxes. Its second hand goods, they will sell them at lower than new prices and if they can get more for them they will, I dont understand the issue here, its not life saving food. Demand is higher they can charge more. I have just check the prices of switches as we purchased one from their last year they are up, but also their trade in price is up also.

3. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Hove must have changed from the days when I lived there for a few months as a student in 1976.

I always though Brighton was odd - in most cities the smarter end of town is/was the West. In Brighton it seemed to be the East. Apparently something going back to coal fired days - the West was more upwind of smoke.

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Apologies. I thought Hove was rapidly becoming the next Brighton as people couldn't afford to buy there.

Or am I thinking Shoreham? :)

BTW - chou-fleur is one of the few things I've remembered from o-level French.

5. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

Wetherspoons tw*t now saying he won’t be paying suppliers until his pubs reopen. I really hope all his staff get jobs at Tesco and there’s a mass boycott of his pubs.

domfjbrown likes this.
  6. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

They are usually shit holes and best avoided, even more after these recent events.

Weekender likes this.
  7. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

He wont give a toss as I expect he has shedloads offshore.

8. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

There's no Aldi in Hove (actually)

You'll be thinking of Porta-Sladé

Big Tabs likes this.
  9. Natara

Natara pfm Member

No need to apologies. You are partly correct as parts of Hove have always been a bit posh with the 'Hove Actually' brigade and other parts have become gentrified but there are also some traditionally working class areas too and we do have a posh deli/grocer called The Black Radish along the road who probaby does sell the odd cho-fluer.
    The same is true of Shoreham some very working class and some very middle class areas.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  10. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Yes by about 3 metres one side of Boundary/Station Road (the Aldi side) is Portslade and the other side is Hove and nothing at all wrong with Portslade by the way which ironically gets called Porta-Slade because it's residents are actually normal and not at all like the pretentious knob heads who look down on them that have moved to and populate neighbouring Brighton & Hove.

Exciting Hifi based fact Exsposure when it was still buit in England was built in North Street Portslade.

domfjbrown likes this.
  11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I suspect the repairs needed before he can reopen will cost him a fortune.

12. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

In Malaysia farmers have been dumping their crops and fishermen throwing their catch into the dock
    The supply chains are broken.
    Meanwhile the supermarkets are looking very sparse.

The planet has very little food reserve these days, this virus can easily cause famine

13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Can’t we just get in some labourers from Eastern Europe?

14. cpg

cpg pfm Member

The price of out of season (UK) vegetables will be going up significantly in the next few weeks as most of them are imported from Spain where they currently have a serious virus problem and lockdown.
    Perhaps the virus issues will show us that we should adjust our eating habits and not expect fresh tomatoes etc to be available all the year round.

With a bit of luck the world supply chain of herbicides will also be affected and stop the farmers from spraying everything and polluting the enviroment. If you eat potatoes, they will have sprayed with a herbicide a few weeks before harvesting to kill all the leaves above the ground and make the potatoes bigger. Unfortunately the herbicide is also stored in the potato. Perhaps our farmers should start changing their production methods.

Ponty and Weekender like this.
  15. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

If Waitrose raised the prices of chicken breasts, for example, because the demand went up due to the current crisis, would that be ok? If you are happy with sellers making money solely due to the crisis, and not because they are having to spend more to get the products in, then I'm happy. But I'm not happy with sellers cashing in on the situation.

16. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Draw a line from the West end of Hove Cemetery to the West end of Hove Lagoon, anything to the West of that is Portslade.

A genuine UK audio hotspot, exposure in Portslade, B&W and SME in Steyning and Audionote/ Audio Innovations in Hove

17. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Indeed it is Dan K, I grew up in West Hove and Portslade we lived in Ingram Crescent off Portland Rd our House which no longer stands backed on to Hove Cemetery after which we moved to lower Portslade just south of Vale Park and my grandmother lived on the Knoll estate just to the west of Hove cemetery on the north side of the Old Shoreham Rd.

18. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

I spotted 4 tins of Heinz tomato soup for £6 and shrugged, got home and found out farmfoods are doing 6 tins for a £5a buy one get one free 12 tins for a £5a so I've got 36 tins now. Just need bread now I'm sorted.

19. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Please don't get Heinz tomato soup poisoning in these troubled times.

20. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

I will wear my white tuxedo as I'm tucking in , Barry humphries style :).