1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackbarron, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I noticed this, although the price was at a 30-month low. I ordered a week ago just as the price was starting to climb (I paid 44p + VAT) and it was delivered yesterday (usually only 2-3 days.)

2. Richard Nichola

Richard Nichola pfm Member

I dare say that famous folks will be disproportionately infected as they come into contact of a wider circle of people than most of us.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

N or R?

4. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Heading out today (Wednesday) for the first time since Friday morning. Very tempted to keep my full motorcycle gear on while shopping, my local post office may object though!

I have a funeral next week which I believe if it goes ahead will be limited to ten people.

5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Oxford University has just launched a government response tracker to faciltate international comparisons:

https://www.miragenews.com/oxford-u...s-first-covid-19-government-response-tracker/

https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/research/research-projects/oxford-covid-19-government-response-tracker

I got a warning when I clicked the second link, but it's safe to procede.

Anyway, here's an interesting graphic:

[​IMG]

The black line represents the growth in the number of cases. The red lines should be read from left to right and and interpreted as the stepping up of countermeasures as the disease spreads. Together, these plots support the view that the UK's response has been sluggish (literally "behind the curve") compared with some other nations. The USA was also very slow to do anything but dramatically ramped up countermeasures recently. Italy comes out of this comparison surprisingly well, despite the current crisis - which doesn't bode well for us.

Of course, many other factors come into play and, I guess, a key one is the level of compliance. As we're witnessing here, merely announcing countermeasures doesn't mean that people will follow them.

Nevertheless, this looks like a valuable resource and I expect the data it pulls together will play some part in the inevitable public inquiry, when this is over.

Seanm, Sue Pertwee-Tyr and gavreid like this.
  6. TheDecameron

Are they putting him in charge of administering the hardship payments?

7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I can't imagine any of them to be doing essential work. Most of them are probably so tied up in their own celebrity to be able to function at home

8. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

There's reports that he travelled to Scotland to self-isolate! If true, FFS! :mad:

9. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

I wouldn’t waste a precious hospital bed on the idiot. At very least, he should be given a bill for the full cost of treatment.

Brian, Caledon1297 and andy831 like this.
  10. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Apparently, this particular idiot is in America, but there are, sadly, plenty 'fellow idiots'' around the world... :(

Ponty likes this.
  11. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

They`re going to need a JCB to dig the grave...

12. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Yes, plenty in the UK. Seen pictures of them licking car door handles and tube train doors etc. Beggars belief.

Caledon1297 likes this.
  13. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Man who has made a career out of flippancy and being short on truth, spending last couple of years telling people that experts can be safely ignored and then wonders why people don't take him seriously. Just re-visit his early press conferences. You think one script (no doubt so he didn't gaff any more) undoes all that?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Caledon1297, Covkxw and TheDecameron like this.
  14. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

That doesn't really work analysed against cases. It should be deaths.

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

****ers. Oil is cheap as chips - good job it's not autumn going into winter.

16. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Valid point, we’ll see if it goes ahead next week!

17. TheDecameron

A coalition government on the cards?

“One Tory MP said there was a political argument that Johnson may be keen to “drag Labour in” so the public do not associate the crisis solely with the Conservatives, if the situation worsens”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-senior-conservatives?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is exactly what I was expecting them to do and entirely for this reason. Johnson’s infamous “Operation Political Last Gasp”

stephen bennett and Caledon1297 like this.
  18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I hope not - it's a trap for Labour to share the blame when it's being dished out later on

Caledon1297 and Brian like this.
  19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Isn’t this a good thing ultimately? If other parties can make a positive contribution they should be brought in to the tent? I appreciate that political capital can be made of this on all sides. Labour saves the day or ‘it wasn’t just our fault’.

20. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Keep politics out of this until it's over.

If our politicians can't lead by example and come together on this, what chance is there that the rest of the population will?

Big Tabs and webster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.