1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackbarron, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Indeed. But they need to be careful how they decline, if they do. It will be spun as Labour 'admitting' not being up to running the country in a crisis, unless handled carefully.

I don't think they should decline, but perhaps should only accept on the basis of a war cabinet with each role consisting of Guvmint and shadow member, not allowing the Guvmint to decide who gets which roles (ie, Labour gets all the shitty, blameworthy ones, while Tories get the fun stuff).

2. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Depends what you mean by 'politics' if you think the government cannot be questioned, forget it. Now is very much the time, not at the public enquiry when it's too late.

Seanm and droodzilla like this.
  3. tones

tones Tones deaf

Probably The Big N (more accurately, The Other Big N, the original Big N being Nestlé). In the notes to shareholders (I have some shares from my days as a Sandoz employee), there was something about being able to attend remotely. Roche never send me anything, but then the majority of Roche shares (about 51%) are owned by the founding Hoffmann and Oeri families. Roche does have an AGM, on St. Pat's this year:

https://www.roche.com/about/governance/annual_general_meetings.htm

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Sorry, I don't mean that - clearly the actions to date of asking and piling on the pressure has ensured a better course of action is being taken in response. But given that Parliament is now suspended, the usual forum for questioning is closing down - being in a cabinet is the only way as I see it. I hope that Gav's view that it's a bad idea for Labour to join with that "It's a trap" is not representative of those in the Shadow Cabinet; they're smart cookies and should know how to deal with the mudslinging that will come in the enquiries and reviews once this is over. By the same token, I hope that the Government are truly seeing the light here and see a 'war cabinet' is the only way.

I hope that both sides decide to put on their big boy trousers and play as one team.

Woodface likes this.
  5. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

You need to run faster to keep up Brian, brexit thread was looking for successes I was drawing a parallel. How many pages on that thread and very thin replies with positives.:)

6. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

All week we have been told, stay at home, don’t travel to second homes or rural areas where you might bring the virus and strain local resources. So then Charlie boy (knowingly infected or not) and his partner decide to **** off to Balmoral, bringing themselves and dozens of security staff into my neighbourhood. ****ing great.

mik_rik and Caledon1297 like this.
  7. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

You guessed wrong :)

8. billo

billo pfm Member

He had to go there to collect his Downton Abby box set, so that he can see how poor people cope

9. billo

billo pfm Member

Well it worked out so well for The Liberals and that nice Mr. Clegg :oops:

10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

That'll be the Tory offer though. Why would they allow Starmer to show BJ up as a buffoon? Similaly, why should Starmer allow himself the lend gravitas to the Tory Government? I was very disappointed in the way Labour rolled over on the emergency powers, the Tories just said thanks very much...

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

You have the understand the nature of the party making the offer. Its leader unlawfully shut Parliament in order to put an end to the voice of opposition. Johnson even employed the term “Parliament versus The People”. His Government has a commanding majority in Parliament and since he as denigrated the current opposition and this, according to his ministers, is The People’s Government, they have all they need to govern. The opposition’s best function is in continuing in its historic role to provide scrutiny.

12. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

One event undoes it all for the majority of the plebs, but you (and me too, but less than you) are blinkered in your contempt for him. Across the country the respect for him is rising fast...yet the Brits are still not doing what they should, are they?

I'd like to pin it all on the donkey, but it's not always possible.

13. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Ideally yes. But, if anything, these plots are likely to flatter the UK since we've been relatively slow to ramp up testing too.

14. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

That's true where I used to live (Småland is as big as the UK with a 750K population—meeting people there was like whales finding each other in the Pacific.)

But the big cities will suffer as any others-especially as 'meetings of fewer than 500 people' are allowed.

Stephen

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Labour have nothing to lose, this talk of it being 'a trap' is just plain daft.

16. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I imagine that, in the event of a nuclear war , he would get a place in a bunker and you wouldn't.

Some things just work that way.

( I wouldn't get a place either obvs )

17. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Apparently, something called an 'internet influencer' decided that there should be a 'Coronavirus challenge'...! :eek: :mad:

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Slightly patronising. These are not normal times, if Labour big hitters can make a contribution then they should. No one cares about the election in 5 years time right now. Would you prefer a bigger pile of bodies as long as LP can make some gains?

doctorf likes this.
  19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Perhaps read it again,

“One Tory MP said there was a political argument that Johnson may be keen to “drag Labour in” so the public do not associate the crisis solely with the Conservatives, if the situation worsens”.

then for context, examine the past record of Johnson’s political actions.

20. Burrells Boy

Burrells Boy pfm Member

Just read Charlie Boy and his trouble and strife have been tested for the virus. Why in this day and age are they taking resources from the NHS when our more important doctors, nurses and health staff are being denied tests. All in this together, really Rant over.

gavreid, Caledon1297 and I.D.C. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.