1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain IV

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM.

1. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

No. Whether we like it or not, the crisis isn't a freak accident but has deep political roots.

From a party political perspective Labour would be crazy to go into a formal coalition. I doubt that Keir Starmer is that daft.

From a "national interest" perspective it's also wrong: it's vital that Labour can continue to hold the government to account and push them to make better decisions.

Meanwhile, Labour can cooperate with the government where it agrees with what's proposed. This is already happening behind closed doors, I'm sure. Lisa Nandy proposed that Labour and other opposition parties have seats on an emergency co-ordinating committe (maybe even COBRA). Again, there's a case for that.

However, I agree with SPT that, if the offer's made, Labour need to be careful about how it says thanks, but no thanks.

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

According to Clarence House they met the criteria for NHS testing.
    Must be at death’s door then...

tqineil and Caledon1297 like this.
  3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

If you're of my generation, you would have known it by the names "bell-end", "oxygen-thief", or "roaster"

Ponty and Caledon1297 like this.
  4. Joe

Joe pfm Member

No offence intended but......

My increasing reaction to nearly everything you post is "so what " ?

You seem to spend all your time amassing evidence that 'the government' are useless and failing at every step. You made that point many many days ago.

We get that.

So what ?

How about posting an equal measure of good news ?...these are shit times and if all you want to do is to be able to say "I told you so " then fūck it...find something better to do with your time is my reaction.

Gaycha, doctorf, webster and 2 others like this.
  5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

And indeed, it was gratifying to see the Health Minister acknowledged in Parliament yesterday, the support he had received from the Shadow Health Secretary. A functioning Parliamentary democracy needs a strong, effective opposition.

6. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

That made me laugh (literally) - thanks! :) :cool:

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

You'd like to think that they are skilled enough politicians to understand this, if they have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to the outcome then they should. A formal coalition is probably not necessary.

Gaycha likes this.
  8. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Our society has always been built on the have & have not's. When this all blows over I hope a new way of thinking comes to the fore. Things will need to change ( must change capitalism is not working )

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Fair point, but it is one MP, probably not speaking for the Govt. If a formal approach is made & LP can make a positive contribution to the outcome then they should. I don't believe that party politics should be in play on either side at this stage.

Gaycha and Seeker_UK like this.
  10. Seeker_UK

That's sort of where I was thinking. I don't really care how the joined up working occurs, so long as it does.

Gaycha likes this.
  11. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

12. Seeker_UK

When the house is ablaze, it's no comfort to the owner that the electricians are being held to account for dodgy wiring, getting on with putting the fire out is.

I'm not saying that the state of the NHS doesn't need to be looked at (along with a lot of other stuff like contingency planning etc) but not over the next three weeks. There'll be plenty of opportunity in the next four years after the outbreak is being managed, to discuss the NHS and point fingers across The Chamber on who's (not) done what etc.

Big Tabs likes this.
  13. Richard Nichola

Richard Nichola pfm Member

OTOH, it might bring it home to stupid people that this is real.. So overall a net benefit from testing them.

14. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

But, sadly, probably won't... :(

I.D.C. likes this.
  15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Help slow the spread of #COVID19 and identify at risk cases sooner by self-reporting your symptoms daily, even if you feel well.
    Download the app

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

No. It's a discussion forum.

I'm a physicist with a strong interest in mathematical modelling. My posts are substantive and evidence based and relevant so I see no reason not to share this stuff. It's valuable information.

I'm also reasonably fair-minded: I think the government has responded to the economic crisis quite well, although there is still more to do. Some of the decisions taken must go against everything they believe in, but they're getting there (aided by pressure from the opposition etc.).

But the government's response to the public health crisis has been a disaster, both in terms of its timeliness and the communication strategy, and this failure has deep roots in the Conservatives' ideology. By the time this is over thousands of people will have died preventable deaths, as a result.

If my pointing this out irks you so much, maybe you should **** off.

mattgbell, matthewr, ff1d1l and 11 others like this.
  17. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Amen to that.

irons1965 likes this.
  18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

It's important to realise that it's the Tory backbenchers recognising that the need of some cover from Labour to get through this for themselves - they haven't said it as a matter of respect or charity for goodness sake.

Caledon1297 likes this.
  19. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Agreed. Labour has no need for a formal coalition. Contribute where they can. Challenge where they must.

20. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

One test I saw was quickly taking a deep breath of air and holding it for at least 10 seconds without any coughing or spluttering.