1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain IV

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM.

1. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

A quick medical question:

I'm taking my daily constitutional and find myself walking behind a smoker (or e-cigarette user); should I take evasive action to minimise the risk? Or is the incremental risk near-zero?

I don't remember reading anything about this but, logically, inhaling secondhand smoke might be risky.

2. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

I can’t see smoke being a problem unless it’s imbued with spit but vape could be. I vape but not outdoors, for myself and others.

droodzilla likes this.
  3. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

I think zero is pretty close to the mark.

tqineil and droodzilla like this.
  4. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

That scene could serve as a public health information film to illustrate how what we exhale disperses

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Trade: Mark Grant Cables

On the TV tonight on ITV2 at 21:00 Contagion, worth watching as will make people think what they are touching.

6. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Trade: Mark Grant Cables

Getting ready for full lockdown which cant be far off.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  8. Joe

Joe pfm Member

The government doesn't have any money...you do. The government will tax you to raise the money that is now being spent and will be spent.

Money to the self employed ? the paye people laid off ? ... everyone else with their hands out ?

It will all have to be recouped when the crisis abates.

Call for as much money as you will.....it will all have to be clawed back and I suspect it will be brutal when that happens.

9. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

We gave the handles of the bin a clean so that the refuse collectors can pass on less lurgy.

We will clean the handles when bringing the bin back in to the garden.

(we clean the bin handles fairly regularly anyhoo, but every time now)

sean99 and Brian like this.
  10. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Two days ago I would have completely agreed with you, but the traffic on the road at the bottom of my property has declined massively in the last two days and is generally now just occasional commercial vehicles. I had to go out to get a few supplies this morning (milk, bread etc.) for my elderly neighbour and I was very impressed at how diligent people were about the social distancing and how few people were around on top of which the local Tesco Local is superbly organised with a sanitising station and a member of staff keeping an eye in how many people are allowed in the store etc. I'm in Norfolk btw and was expecting most people to be ignoring it all so I'm quite encouraged right now. That said I expect the likes of London may not be quite as obedient sadly.

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

What’s your local hospital?

12. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

It appears that the US will surpass Italy's confirmed case count, and both will exceed that of China, before the day is out (-05:00 EST).

As of 4:29PM (-05:00 EST):
    China 81,782
    Italy 80,589
    US 80,021​

If this were 'Jackie' Stewart reporting, his voice would be near super-sonic by now.

(Source: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center)

13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Weren’t you calling for us to lay off the politics Joe.

14. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Sean.... whoever would be in power would have the same future to face.

My comments were as such apolitical but if you see chiding me as more productive to the debate...go ahead.

15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

check your local council too.
    Greater Manchester has stopped green bin collections.

16. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

17. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Our District Council have been posting updates on their Facebook page. Very reassuring, and professional.

18. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

Characterising people depending on the government for support as having their ‘hands out’ is very politically tendentious - it’s a hard right trope.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  19. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

The USA just 'Trumped' both Italy and China with 82,404 confirmed cases! (source Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center @ 3/26/2020, 5:37:36 PM (-05:00 GMT).

'People are really surprised I understand this stuff.' Donald J. Trump
    [​IMG]

20. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Here in Trafford with no green bin collection we can’t take the green bin contents to the tip as it’s not an essential journey....so a bit stuck. Trafford were missing green bin collections before C19 so it’s a bit too convenient.