1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain IV

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM.

1. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I was referencing corporations like Whetherspoons ,Virgin etc in the "hands out" and I separated them from the self employed and those on PAYE.

However...read it however you choose to.

2. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

Eldest has told me that the police are out where she lives asking “questions”. Right now I don’t have a problem with that.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Were they keeping a very safe distance? I have to admit being pulled over on my late night cycle ride occurred to me and I’d really not want to get within quite a few metres of police who could have interacted with anyone given my health risks. I saw some TV footage of them stopping cars and getting within a couple of feet of the driver talking. I’d not be happy with that at all.

4. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Political sniping isn't pathetic when it comes to the exceptional 2008 banking crisis, is it? Tories have been pathetically politically sniping (in fact lying) for 12 years blaming Labour for what was a world wide problem. They have used this lie to justify austerity and we are paying the price now. How come I've never seen you complain about that pathetic political snipe?

It can't be ignored that there was plenty of warning of this virus yet no preparation for dealing with it was made.

It can't be ignored that when this virus hit us, the govt did not implement the standard approach for dealing with an epidemic, choosing instead to hope millions would contract this disease and that many thousands would perish, possibly even millions. What kind of foo is it they've been believing?

It can't be ignored the tories are now unable to acknowledge they have done the u-turn of all time, although a number of weeks too late. It's obvious why they are in denial of that fact.

Sorry if that's political, but their actions are costing lives and it needs to be shouted loud and clear.

Thanks. I just did. They plan to continue with normal collections as long as possible.

5. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

That would be really quite funny if it wasn't really quite not funny.

6. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Brings the best out in people, this kind of thing!

7. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

According to https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...sinesses-that-pay-little-or-no-business-rates you may be getting a bung for your premises.

The self-employment bung is taxable, so it makes no difference, it's just income.

80% of profit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a...ovid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

8. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Very kind of you to say so. ;)

It was a rhetorical flourish; I wanted it to contrast with the rest of my post. I believe in reasoned, evidence-based debate (precisely what the post we're talking about offered) but have no qualms about the occasional use of targeted profanity. Of course, I bear Joe no grudge, especially at a time like this.

Stepping back, I object to repeated attempts by some people - on this forum and in the national debate - to police the tone and content of the discussion. It comes across as an attempt to stifle debate, even if that is not the intention. It is quite deadening and it gets my dander up!

So yeah, not having that, and I don't care if it bugs people. It's important to continue to ask questions and to hold the government to account - especially at a time like this.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Newsnight suggesting the dose-level/exposure to C19 probably does impact the severity of illness, i.e. its not as simple as a binary catching/not catching it. This would explain why some otherwise young and healthy health workers the world over are getting very sick/dying, and obviously how important adequate PPE for the frontline is. How this relates to immunity post infection wasn’t touched on.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

An how important self isolation is for minimising exposure.

11. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Yup, get a tiny exposure, immune system kicks in before virus multiplies too much, mild symptoms. Seems like an obvious solution. Dont need a vaccine, just a tiny controlled exposure...

12. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

I’m not at the front of that queue.

Covkxw likes this.
  13. Joe

Joe pfm Member

And I bear you no grudge....but.....

I hate to be the bearer of this news but....you are not holding the government to account.

You are talking to ,maybe, 30 people on a minor sub-section of a hi-fi forum. 12 of those people think you are great ( I will grant you that no one thinks that I am )

You said..

and I merely tried to point out that the stuff you chose to post was just "re-tweets" of articles ,graphs and diagrams that you were selecting in a very partial partisan way to damn any thing that the government was doing.

I ,like you, think that they have been utter tools in the main but it was that fact that all you were posting was to reiterate again and again the point that you had made time and again that I was commenting on.

"it's valuable information" ? ....this is a hi-f/ music forum... this is not the UN and you/I/we are not broadcasting to the world. I think that your mathematical modelling has let you down there.

Please feel free to tell me to fück off any time you like. :) I really don't mind.

Big Tabs likes this.
  14. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Yes 80% of profit which in itself is taxable and I'm sure will be deducted from any tax rebate you might be due at the end of the next tax year.

Also self employed National Insurance contributations will also be raised to help pay for it. At present we self employed pay a lower rate of NI but we are not entitled to any sickness or unemployment benefits.

15. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I ran a shop with a partner...we made about £2,000 a year profit and barely earned the minimum wage. If I were still working the governments offer would be useless to me.

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

OK Tim, maybe I slightly over employed the concept of FACT.

But are you really telling us that the NHS has not been restricted to below inflation funding rises?
    Are we really to interpret waiting times and bed shortages as Acts of God?
    Is the shortage of Doctors and Nurses really just a fiction?
    Is the quiet 'privatisation by proxy' not happening? Are we really supposed to be fooled by NHS England being resolutely 'non privatised', while it quietly dishes out private contracts for delivery to all and sundry?
    Was nurse training and the bursary really not cut?

As if the already weakened and beleaguered state of the NHS after 10 years in the 'care' of the Tories was not bad enough.. can you really in all conscience seek to endorse or justify the pitifully inadequate and tardy response to Coronavirus by Boris and his Ship of Fools?

It may well be true that Coronavirus has the potential to overwhelm even the best health service in the World. But if that is the case then it is certain that it will overwhelm one already crippled beaten and hobbled by politicians whose agenda is driven by anything but the actual health of the nation.

Covkxw, twotone, Brian and 2 others like this.
  17. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I'm no economist but let me put it this way:

The Tories already did a back flip on public borrowing/spending via the budget, which delivered zillions to the already rich. It seems that they concluded that pragmatic public borrowing/spending at a time of crisis, especially if done to support their wealthy friends, was OK after all.

Obviously, in contrast, public borrowing/spending by Gordon Brown in order to try to rescue the British economy and banking system post the 2008 (caused by international financial speculators) crash, was entirely wrong.. and it was necessary to punish not only Gordon Brown... but the entire population of Britain via 'austerity', so that they would not allow any politician to do that again.

Unless. of course.. his name was Boris Johnson.

When the bill for this shit show comes in.. it will not be repaid by the businesses which have already pocketed zillions of borrowed money, or by the market speculators who are making fortunes on the 'Bond Markets'. It will be repaid by those who suffered most throughout... the ones who were the last thought in the mind of Sunak whilst he was wondering what to do with the spoils of all that lovely borrowing... Ordinary working people of Britain , many struggling to make budgets stretch from one week to the next. And most of them will be the very same people who worked to try to maintain health services,social care, food delivery and retail, transport etc., etc.. while Boris waffles blusters and hides, Cummings becomes invisible etc.

Once more with feeling..

WAKE UP PEOPLE YOU ARE BEING ROYALLY SCREWED!!!!!

Covkxw, ff1d1l, twotone and 1 other person like this.
  18. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

If you find a way to get a controlled tiny exposure please let us know.

Woodface likes this.
  19. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

20. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I’d strongly caution against trying to move the pigeon, glove or no glove. They’re vicious little buggers.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.