1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain IV

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM.

1. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

over here in the land of the free there is no bin collection. We either have to pay a private company to pick up our bins or do a weekly drive to the dump. I guess the nearly $9k a year property tax I pay doesn’t stretch to waste collections. Being cheap I take my own - try to combine with other Saturday errands.

2. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Yes.. this is what I've seen described as the 'Viral Load'. If true, it clearly has major implications for co-habiting people, as the first infected might have a relatively mild case, whereas the 'viral load' and therefore infection severity imposed on the second could depend upon how much they protect themselves from their 'housemate'

Well yes... sounds plausible.. but I doubt it's quite that simple.

3. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

What a completely ****ed up country you live in.

kensalriser, Covkxw and Brian like this.
  4. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I agree. Unfortunately the UK has been playing catch up for the past decade.

5. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

Although a pigeon in the hand is worth two in the bush, shooting it with an air rifle from a safe distance may be better.

Keep the bird's breasts. A friend tells me they're delicious pan fried rare.

6. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

To be fair, in Switzerland we have to pay way more property and local council taxes than Sean does and we don’t get our bins collected either.

Wilson likes this.
  7. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

We pay zero council tax (taxe d'habitation) in Alsace AND we get our rubbish collected by the council with no charge.

Brian likes this.
  8. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Lots of bin posts around lately. I'm glad I mentioned it, gives people something to focus on in these difficult times. :oops:

Would be great and let's hope it's the case, however, I too am not at the front of that particular queue. Or at the front of any queue, right now.

I check daily but there are never any Tesco delivery slots (or even "click and collect" slots), it's now through to 16th April and it's not getting any easier here. I'll be eating the neighbours dog if it comes to it. We ageed to do the "right thing at the right time", which means swapping dog. I'm not too happy, mine is a bigger dog, though to be fair, he has 4 to feed and there are just 2 of us.

£2,000pa was a lot in 1950 though, Joe. ;)

MikeMA and richgilb like this.
  9. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

German hospitals are flying in French victims from Alsace, as Strasbourg, Mulhouse and Colmar hospitals are now overwhelmed. We now also have military tent hospitals in the region. We've been in lockdown for 11 days now. 365 deaths yesterday in France. I suppose / hope next week the daily death figure will drop dramatically, as we will have been home for 2 weeks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...e-deal-covid-19-patients-200326143043559.html

Covkxw likes this.
  10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

My local expert reckons 3 out of 4 carriers are non symptomatic & those with symptoms are 50% more contagious. I think I have that right.

11. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Know your place drood. Only professional politicians are allowed to discuss politics.

12. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

You can understand why people who supported austerity, backed Hunt in his 'battle' with junior doctors or looked at their shoes while Johnson wasted valuable time exploring options that might involve him doing less, suddenly don't want politics discussed.

MikeMA, Mullardman, colint and 8 others like this.
  13. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I can't do a forum "like" of this post, given the news it's passing on.

We'll be there soon in the UK, rich. Keep well.

14. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Yep, rip off Britain is the land of the fee.

15. Richard Nichola

Richard Nichola pfm Member

Malta has no property taxes and six waste collections per week.

16. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I don't give a monkey's how much you discuss politics ...It's the self aggrandisement that I see as wänkery.

And Steve,,,you know f all. I have said many many times on here that I have only voted Labour in the near 50 years that I have been voting. Your fantasy attribution of my political views is just that

Carry on with your blathering ..but know that you are just a small group talking to each other...you are not the revolutionary movement that you dream that you are ..just a few long beards on a hi-fi forum.

AND..... nowhere in any post that I have made have I ever said that politics should not be discussed or even should be discussed less.... but don't let inconvenient details get in the way of your narrative ...... It's the lies they will remember in the end isn't it ?

Big Tabs likes this.
  17. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

When this method was used in the past to provoke an immune response it would have been with a weakened form of the infection. The modern method is to obtain the genetic sequence and to clone part of that to perhaps find a vaccine candidate because it can be done so rapidly nowadays.

18. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I only know what you post, if you didn't mean it.....why give that impression?

19. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

A small group trying to talk to each other but being policed and lambasted by a handful of belligerent posters telling us that we’re w—-kers, we’re deluded, we’re self-righteous, we’re bullies, we’re just all round terrible and pathetic people.

Joe, what’s in it for you? What goes through your head when you decide that This Will Not Stand, you just have to let these people know that they’re wasting their time and are awful human beings? In every context, long before C19 existed? Take a break. Stay well.

colint, gavreid, Covkxw and 1 other person like this.
  20. odd question