1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

All evidence supports my view, the WHO have pretty much said the same. What stopped other viruses and diseases spreading is irrelevant, Covid-19 is already spreading, now across Europe. My view is based on pure mathematical logic which I do indeed have a qualification in.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Have you a source?

No it's not, it's central. All diseases spread. How far and how long varies. They stopped. If this is to continue, what's different here?

Yes, it's a disease. They spread. Not all become pandemics.

In which case you will know that the mathematical equation for transmission-recovery-infective dose-other variables and mathematical model is key to what's going on. How does it work?

3. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

4. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

5. Joe

Joe pfm Member

No...it will merely be pan-global .

Pandemic requires a whole other set of things to happen.

6. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Pandemic — pan being the word to hone in on — simply means the disease isn’t confined to an area. It’s from the Greek word that means all or every.

In contrast, epidemics are confined to an area by geography or by time.

Joe

tiggers and Jonathan like this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

'pan global' ??

is that from the department of redundancy department?

sean99 likes this.
  8. Joe P

They teach that in the Department of Redundancy Department.

Joe

9. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

All my wife keeps talking about is whether we will be able to go on holiday in Spain in July...bless her...

10. Joe P

A case of the shits doin’ the rounds at the office? That’s an epidemic. Sucks to be you if it’s you, but it likely won’t make the headlines, except in the office newsletter.

I should qualify that. If it’s a deadly case of the shits,* it might make the news, but this example is more about the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic.

Joe

* Deadly as in high mortality rate, not as in “I wouldn’t go in there if I were you” warnings after leaving the loo.

11. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes, we have couple doing post graduate students (who are epidemiologists) in my department in Data Science, really interesting to talk to them. They tell me that some epidemiology teams are multi-discipline teams due to the complexity of understanding the problem domain - they work with mathematicians, medics, computer scientists etc etc

Spike likes this.
  12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Good time to book a cruise...

gassor and gintonic like this.
  13. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Cheapish and quietish sort of thing, all in it together.

Bloss

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's certainly a different beast. Spread via respiratory means where IIRC Ebola is more bodily fluids/close contact.

I'm not interested in being right or wrong, I'm interested in what the model looks like and how it works.

It certainly does appear to be spreading out rather dramatically, which is alarming. However in the graphs shown the epidemic curves appear to show a decline in cases originating in China. How reliable these figures are, and whether they are the result of reduced movement or another factor, I doubt anyone here can say. It all remains to be seen.

15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

mull, it's all good. a man can speak his mind now that the UK is free again.

16. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

"In lighter news, Health Sectary Matt Hancock has confirmed that Britons forced to self-isolate will be allowed to claim sick leave"

I'm sure small business owners will be laughing all the way to the bank if this becomes the only way to deal with this...:(

17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I once had a pandemic after a seriously hot curry.

18. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Colin L, ToTo Man and sean99 like this.
  19. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

I'm saying nowt.

20. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.