1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cosey Fanni Tutti

Discussion in 'music' started by Cereal Killer, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Not for the faint hearted. she's still smashing it, literally ....

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

That album is like a smash and grab of the best of the dark side of electronica from the '70s and early '80s... and I like it!

3. windhoek

Link to vinyl @ Amazon

4. windhoek

I'm now on my second listen of the LP and I really like it. The sky blue vinyl is beautiful to behold and the music just makes me wanna... makes me wanna live (in the same way Memory of a Free Festival* makes me wanna live)!

* Don't read anything into the reference other than the upbeat desire to live as expressed by Bowie matches the feeling I experience when I'm listening to Tutti - there's no musical connection here whatsoever.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  5. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I bought the CD on release as I thought the vinyl was too pricey. But I like it so much I'll probably end up buying the vinyl as well.

6. windhoek

Although I don't buy records as an investment, I wouldn't be surprised if this LP becomes highly collectable once it's out of print. I mean, how many copies are they going to print - a few thousand? I don't know for sure but I don't see it being enough to make it a chart topper.

7. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

not know , but will watch the prog sounds interesting,

8. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

It’s a masterpiece IMHO.!

Reminds me of Alva Noto / diamond version

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I bought the vinyl yesterday, it really is rather good. Shame the download is only an MP3 though. Her book Art Sex Music is well worth a punt, a remarkable and somewhat disturbing document. She’s the real deal for sure!

10. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

I'd say it's excellent. Pretty much the album I hoped she might have made when I was trying to explore the Carter Tutti oeuvre last year.

11. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

I've listened to the album three times on YT. Totally absorbing and I keep thinking about it between listens. 10/10!

The LP is rather expensive, as good vinyl does tend to be these days, I guess. I wish it weren't an option...

12. windhoek

I don't know how much the LP was when it was released but I hesitated when I saw the current price tag of £23... but only briefly because I'd rather get a copy on the first floor rather than pay through the roof once it's out of print. And the first floor price is probably only about £5 more than the original ground floor price so to forfeit a fiver for a lifetime's pleasure still seems like a bargain all things considered.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Seems like a decent enough pressing too. I bought mine from Piccadilly as I was in Manchester anyway and doing it that way meant I didn’t have to risk a dinged sleeve from mailing. I always wet-clean records on my VPI 17i before playing them, especially ones in card inner sleeves like this one, but with that caveat it seems flat and very quiet. I’ve not compared it to the digital MP3 version yet. To be honest I went the vinyl route as I suspect it may become collectable, otherwise I’d have gone CD as vinyl limits me to just the front-room system!

14. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

IIRC Amazon are now paying far more tax and working more ‘nationally’ with regards to warehousing/supply-chains etc, which has bumped up prices to the end-user somewhat. There was some structural change a while back, but I can’t remember the exact details. They don’t seem to have the unfair advantage they once had anyway. FWIW I paid marginally less at Piccadilly for the vinyl than the current Amazon price (£22.something).

16. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Just ordered a copy, fingers crossed it’s a decent pressing. I’ve never had a decent coloured record before. I suppose there’s always a first time?

Thanks to @Cereal Killer for the heads-ups.

17. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

That surprises me as I have quite a few. Back in the late 80's Ryko made a point of using a translucent vinyl for their Bowie issues and they are exemplary.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Standard vinyl is coloured with carbon to make it black! Some companies got this slightly wrong, e.g. Pye, so many of their pressings either for themselves or others on contract (Elton John, Donna Summer, and famously Joy Division) are actually a translucent dark red when held to a light!

PS Just played this again earlier, I really like it. It kind of takes what were always my favourite aspects of TG and builds on them. It is *very* TG, but very ‘now’ too. I’m surprised not to see a Chris Carter credit anywhere though!

19. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Really? Every single coloured pressing I've bought has been paints! Then again lots of (new) Black vinyl has been poor too...But let's not derail this thread on the state of vinyl.

20. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The noisey interview with Cosey Fanni Tutti is great, as is some of her music. She answers a couple of difficult questions in a very straightforward manner.

It is interesting to hear her mention Gen, his manipulation and abuse. I interviewed him once at his house in Beck Road, Hackney for NME. He was obviously interesting to talk to. I questioned his approach to some things though and wrote what I thought was a balanced piece.

Months later I spoke to someone involved with PTV, who came around - at their insistence - to my flat to be interviewed. They went absolutely mental and started screaming at me about how I'd lied in the feature and insulted Gen and PTV.

Oh well.

Jack

Tim Jones and Cereal Killer like this.