1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid 19 - Tally

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

As a retired senior nurse with many friends ( Doctors and Nurses) and family working for the N.H.S.
    I think I have a little bit of insight.

I know about some definite cases but I am bound by confidentiality. (and good taste)

What I am avoiding is posting responses on the wrong thread.
    Unlike you, who feel that pitting the U.K against other countries in their response to covid-19 is a valuable contribution to pfm.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

you going back to work?

3. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Sorry, sir senior nurse.

It’s just that it seems there are many people with mild symptoms that don’t fit the NHS definition and are wondering what they should do. Indeed I am one of them. Whatever I have just had, I passed on to 2 family members. Fortunately I avoided my elderly dad in this time period as a precaution, unlike my friend.

Too bad you couldn’t use your insight and expertise to further the discussion. I don’t see how questioning (and seeking greater insight into) what constitutes a case is OT when the only way to get a confirmed diagnosis is when you are serious enough to require hospitalisation.

4. Big Tabs

I am keen on keeping to the original post in this thread, not responding to facetious, sarcastic baiting for effect.

Please start a thread on "questioning (and seeking greater insight into) what constitutes a case."

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

why, all other threads go off track regularly, that is the nature of online conversations - you'll make yourself I'll getting stressed about controlling and owning a thread

chill man

6. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

…it’s just that the faint condescension from those “in authority” seems to bring out my inner facetiousness. Perhaps it's all in my head.

Should go without saying really, I fully realise this is a deadly serious topic and I have massive and total respect for our frontline medical professionals here in the UK.

As you were…

7. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

It's really, really simple. Fever or cough are not definitions of the disease. They are an indication that you should take further action.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

If you have symptoms as described on that page, move on to the Online Service and do what it suggests.

There is a vast amount of information linked on from the NHS link above, I suggest you don't follow it.

8. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I possibly have it at the moment but without a test I won't know.

Symptoms started on Thursday: weakness, aching muscles, shivering. Woke through night with elevated temperature of 38.2C. Took paracetamol to try to stop the shivering. The highest temperature I reached was on Friday afternoon, 39.2C. Took three doses of paracetamol throughout Friday, last dose was on Friday night. Temperature on Saturday and today has been within the 'normal' range, no higher than 37.8C.

As for other symptoms, it's difficult to tell because of overlap with symptoms from my pre-existing conditions. I have chronic acid reflux and post-nasal drip which causes throat and vocal cord irritation and increases my tendency to cough, especially in bed. Since June I've also experienced random outbreaks of a streaming nose, at least twice a week, possibly an allergy or some sort of rhinitis. ENT diagnosed inflamed nasal passages and prescribed steroid spray but I don't use it as I don't like taking meds that weaken the immune system.

My mum (65) was unwell a few days before me with similar symptoms but to a lesser extent (sniffles, weakness, aches, shivers but no high temperature). I usually get things worse than her. As soon as I became aware she was unwell I tried to avoid her as much as possible, but it's difficult given that she's my full-time carer!

Also, given that my dad (63) still has go out to work and go shopping etc, I feel like a sitting duck, and that it's only a matter of time before I get COVID-19 if I don't have it at the moment. I'm in a high risk category as my cerebral palsy means that an upper respiratory infection usually ends up in my lungs.

I've effectively been 'self-isolating' since 2009 when a bout of norovirus and/or swine flu (again only 'suspected' as I wasn't tested for it) had me bedbound for weeks and led to my developing chronic fatigue syndrome and chronic acid reflux and in need of greatly increased care (despite cerebral palsy I was actually managing life pretty well until that point!).

Ever since that bout of illness I've been obsessed about hygiene to proper OCD levels, especially when it comes to food. I haven't eaten out for more than a decade and I refuse to attend public places between October and April (that includes GP, hospital, dentist, appointments as well as any concerts!).

I thought I was beginning to feel a little better going to bed on Friday night but woke up at 4am with what felt like a lump of rock in my throat and a completely inability to speak, attempting to do so resulting in an involuntary 'bark'-like cough, albeit of feeble proportion. The same thing happened last night, again around 4am. Whether this is a symptom of COVID-19, or my voice box is simply being overly-bombarded by my blocked nose, post-nasal drip, acid reflux, and tendency to 'mouth-breathe', I don't know.

I think that as well as frontline staff, all those in high risk categories should be eligible to be tested if they display genuine symptoms. However there's no way I'd risk a trip to the hospital for the test!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Ponty, Wilson, Weekender and 2 others like this.
  9. Big Tabs

@ToTo Man

I am not sure of the value of definitive diagnosis, as there is no specific treatment for the virus.

Take care.

Feel free to pm me.

Remember, there are no stupid questions in this situation.

Feeling anxious on top of everything else is no fun.

Mullardman and ToTo Man like this.
  10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Hope you feel better soon ToTo Man.

sean99, TheDecameron and ToTo Man like this.
  11. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Quite. I've just come back from a 9 mile dog walk on the Ashridge Estate. They've shut the main car park and people are turning up and parking just anywhere. We always go off the beaten track but there were still a huge number of people out this morning. We all kept well away from each other.

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I flew my wife to Auckland (I am dual citizen) because she is a severe asthmatic (stable on daily Serotide) days ago as I was certain she would not get an NHS ICU and at the time NZ had only 6 cases. In fact still until today NZ has no Covid ICU case. We could not isolate 100% properly where we were. Obviously we should have left earlier but this moved so fast and my wife even tried to persuade me to leave a couple of days later.
    We are in self-isolation and do not meet anyone. We still have no temperatures (we are not taking Panadol) but today she had diarrhoea (some report it is a lead indicator) and a fairly mild sore throat. No continuous coughs but my wife has asthma coughed all her life time to time. I feel tired/listless and a very slight sore throat but mainly a unsettled stomach (no diarrhoea).
    I am so stressed out but trying to be calm in front of her as it is only 3am here. I feel our (mainly mine but our 2 adult children agreed) decision to come here has backfired cruelly. I feel so guilty.
    My wife will freak out and say I should have left her to die near our kids.
    How strange to be pouring this out on PFM before anyone except our adult son knows.

ian r, ToTo Man and Big Tabs like this.
  13. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Thanks. :)

I suppose it could go two ways. Knowing for sure that I have COVID-19 while I'm still feeling unwell may make me psychosomatic and worsen my condition. On the other hand, assuming I recover successfully from it, knowing I've got it and will therefore have potential future immunity from it, would help alleviate months of future anxiety and eliminate my need to minimise contact with everyone including my carers (i.e. parents).

I hope I'll have access to this antibody test that's supposedly in the pipeline.

Nick_G and Weekender like this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Ride out the storm, ToTo Man. Although not saddled with your ailments, except occasional acid reflux (was worse), I have chronic e.n.t. prob's (and radiotherapy on my nose 3 years ago) and am rarely able to breathe easily through my nose. If I awake with my mouth open, my throat, mouth and lips are very dry and this does affect my voice-box. I'm 79 so can't complain but having just more or less recovered from a really nasty ordinary viral infection (6 weeks), I empathise and wish you a speedy recovery.

ToTo Man likes this.
  15. Big Tabs

Deal with what you know, not the unknown.

Easy said, hard to do.

ToTo Man likes this.
  16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

So sorry to hear this. I hope it goes better than you fear for you both.

eternumviti likes this.
  17. Big Tabs

Deal with the Now, and worry about the rest later.

Very easy to get a sore throat on a long-haul flight.

18. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

hey, you've shifted from "there is no such thing as society" to " herds are the new societies". incrementalism. be patient.

Seanm likes this.
  19. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

My brother, who has had a dry cough for a week, has just reported loss of taste and smell.

He has underlying issues.

20. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^ so sorry to hear that EV

eternumviti likes this.