1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cramp.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

In recent months I have suffered increasingly from cramp. Mostly, but not exclusively at night and in bed.
    Thing is, it is not just getting me in the traditional places (Calf muscle )

Last night I first awoke with cramp high up in the inside of my left thigh.. whatever muscle that is. A little later it was the outside of my right leg, just above the ankle. It can often be the inside of my forearm, just above the wrist, or my left index finger will suddenly go into spasm and point to my left little finger. All pretty odd.

FWIW, and for other reasons, I recently had the full hit of blood tests. It seems my Liver Function, Blood Sugar, Cholesterol, Thyroid Function, Pancreas, etc., etc. are all normal.

So WTF is going on?

All sensible ideas considered. :)

Mull

2. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

A doc once told me it was down to not enough salt and recommended a small increase in salt intake. Worked then and also for my wife who used to have very bad cramps at night.

I know no more that that, could be BS or new age bullocks but hey!

Jonnoshore might get you to raise your bed head.

3. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

I'd be inclined to do stretches during the day, especially when you wake and before you go to sleep. Things like lifting yourself on tip toes to stretch the calf and thigh and try and do the opposite by lifting your toes whilst lying down. Or place one foot flat on the ground and lunge forward to stretch it or even use the step of a stair - you could place the ball of your foot and try and push yourself up and then lower your self and your heel down below a flat level.

Stretch your arms, turn them, try and bend them backwards etc.

Exercise can cause cramps as can drugs like statins apparently so if the above doesn't relieve your cramps, you may need to see your GP.

4. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

That is a bitch of a muscle to cramp up. Hurts like hell and difficult to stretch.

5. coxybabe

coxybabe pfm Member

I regularly get this and in exactly the same places. It has started really as I have got older and I think that this is common, ie., an age thing. My Brother, who also suffered, says that taking Magnesioum tablets has cured his night cramps: I haven't tried this as I don't like taking pills or supplements. Alos, drinking lots of water does help: trouble is, you end up getting up during the night to visit the loo!

6. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

Are you on a diuretic for blood pressure? These screw your salt balance, which causes the cramp - perhaps magnesium as above. A GP should know, but probably won't.

7. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Bugger!!. Just woke up with it in right thigh and left foot.

8. Mark Pope

Mark Pope Senior Moment

I occasionally suffer and take something called Crampex when it's particularly bad. It's an over the counter medication.
    The quinine in tonic water is supposed to be good for alleviating or preventing cramp.

9. billo

billo pfm Member

The arch of the foot is a swine to have cramp in. Problems could be caused by
    Simvastatin.
    Poor circulation
    Low electrolytes (salts)

10. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

Cramp can be a secondary issue to a main problem.often associated with the liver. Repetition over a prolonged period should mean a visit to gp

11. bor

bor queue jumper

Mull,

It could be Lupus......

12. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Mull, do you drink much in the way of wine? It may just be coincidence, but I've noticed occasional bouts of cramp after white wine which I don't often drink. Salt seems to help.

13. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

I used to suffer quite bad.
    Changed quite a few things in my life and now very rare

Key points might be
    Going vegetarian
    Drinking loads of water
    Gentle stretching and Yoga every day
    Cycling most days
    Listening to music as much as I can :)

14. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

My daughter has cramp a lot. She is 30 and lives with us because she has Williams syndrome (Infantile Hypercalcaemia) She has medication for cramp which is basically quinine. But still gets it quite often. When she was younger she used to call it "Frank" because she has that cute habit of getting words ever so slightly wrong.
    SWMBO also has the inner thigh cramp and has been known to roll on the floor in pain with it. She uses salt a lot more than me and is in good health. It must be an age thing as she is 5 years senior to me.
    I don't use salt at all. I rarely get cramp.
    You never see George Clooney leaping out of bed with cramp do you? I think the answer is to be George Clooney.

15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Mull

I have exactly the same problem

Unless your diet is deficient I doubt it is a lack of salt.

My answer - Magnesium supplements and a glass of tonic water works for me.

16. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Used to get it in my jaw really badly when yawning, a serious problem working long shifts.

We don't use salt but that doesn't seem to have caused me to get cramp again.

17. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I had cramp like this in bed. As soon as I turned out the light it would start, and it lasted for maybe two or three years to the point that I just accepted it eventually as the new normal.

Then it stopped.

I have no idea why. There is no reason that I can think of at all except for an extended hot season and being out in lots of sunshine. Maybe it's vitamin D.

18. jimpey

jimpey pfm Member

Sulphites in wine can be a major contributor. I tried to go organic but can't afford 'good' organic wine:)
    Doc prescribes Quinine sulphate for me. It doesn't cure it but he asked me to try with out and it came back with a vengeance so it definitely helps.

19. Dougie2404

Dougie2404 pfm Member

Funnily I have to agree with both Mark and Bob, I occasionally have bad cramps and find that A glass of tonic water a couple of times a day until a large bottle is finished does the trick. It has to be Schwepses though as it is still made with quinine and not some chemical mix, If required a stiff gin may be added.

20. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I've been getting cramp in bed recently, generally it's just in the arches of the feet but sometimes in the calves.

Bloody painful though.