1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CRASS Reissues

Discussion in 'music' started by Hifi Pig, May 17, 2019.

1. Hifi Pig

Hifi Pig Member

Don't know how many will be interested but Crass are rereleasing all their records that have been remastered at Abbey Road by Penny Rimbaud. They are available through One LIttle Indian and through Steve Ignorant's site. ANOK4U2 :)

gintonic and jackbarron like this.
  2. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Still got my brother's originals but admit I've never played em, just admired the fold out sleeves

We're the recordings of good enough quality to justify an Abbey Road remaster? Not having a dig, just curious

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got one of them, Penis Envy IIRC, must dig it out for a spin sometime as it is rather good as I recall.

4. Hifi Pig

Hifi Pig Member

Penny says they have been done to sound as close to the originals as possible. I already have most of the stuff on vinyl but will get these too by way of supporting them. Steve is a cool guy i'm in the process of interviewing. You can get artwork of the album artwork and other artwork of Gee Vaucher at her site https://www.exitstencilpress.com/ Service is great and prices are very good. We have Oh America, Penis Envy, Feeding and Bloody Revolutions. Will get more as and when.

paulfromcamden and jackbarron like this.
  5. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I had one, the escaped hamster attacked the record when temporarily stored in the loft.

A couple of tracks I liked, but not enough to replace it

Bloss

6. Hifi Pig

Hifi Pig Member

They are an acquired taste, that is for sure. I love them and they played a BIG part in how I approach life.

7. blossomchris

For sure, I bought the record because of their philosophy

Bloss

Hifi Pig likes this.
  8. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Aw, you stored your hamster in the loft?

Crass

9. deebster

deebster pfm Member

That's the opener for tonight's listening sorted then

Hifi Pig likes this.
  10. Hifi Pig

Hifi Pig Member

Cool. Big A little a Bouncing B
    I Djd for Steve once ...he moaned when I played Jewish Princess by Zappa :)

foxwelljsly likes this.
  11. deek

deek pfm Member

I really like Crass, for me Feeding The 5000 and Stations of the Crass are all I need. One of records is 33 on one side, 45 the other which annoys me so I keep the records next to my Clash records to annoy them.

savvypaul likes this.
  12. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Been many years but sure I'll remember some tracks. Will be nice to hear them rather than the wailings of a tone deaf older brother singing with headphones on.

Where should I start d'you think? Got Feeding and Stations

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I only have 'Yes Sir I will' but I like it if heavy going in places. The album has one long track per side and begins to reveal that that Crass was as much an art project as political statement. This was confirmed by the arty as f*** '12 Notes on a Summers Day'.

If you have all of the Crass releases, I would also recommend 'Increase the Pressure' by Conflict.

14. blossomchris

Not when he was caged though

Cross

Bloss

PS: Who am I, not

15. savvypaul

savvypaul Active Member

I have all the originals. I lived a couple of miles from them when I was a kid.

Stations & Penis are the picks for me.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

never been a fan of crass' music (respect the politics more) but did anyone catch the interview by Ian Svenonius with Penny Rimbaud on Vice's Soft Focus show? it was brilliant ...

17. mhv

mhv pfm Member

18. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Wow. I have mountains of stuff from Crass records, including (I think) every 7” they ever put out. They weren’t even the best thing on their own label, that was definitely The Poison Girls. Their crowning musical achievements were the ‘Sheep Farming in the Falklands’ and ‘How does it feel to be the mother of a thousand dead’ singles, although they were all about a whole lot more than music. Steve and Penny have been gently mining their back catalogue for a while and something like this was on the cards for a while. I hope they reproduce the original fold out paper sleeves and that they make a bit of cash out of it, they really deserve it.

19. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

foxwelljsly likes this.