1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Creek CAS3140 Tuner...

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by chiily, May 29, 2010.

1. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Unusually I'm not after any help, more of a "I fixed it for my tuner!" story.

My little Creek tuner had started to wander over the VHF band, de-tuning Radio 4; very annoying. So I decided to replace all the electrolytic capacitors, both on the PSU and the Rx board and I've fixed it! No more wandering.

2. DarrenW

DarrenW Oxygen User

my creek does this too - was it hard to do or expensive?

3. chiily

Darren,

It was pretty easy...if I'd thought on I would have written down the list of caps and taken pictures. From memory, 3x4.7uF@50V, 2x10uF@35v, 2x1uF@50V, a couple of 47uf@50V and the PSU one, which I did ages ago.

Getting the boards out is straight forward. I de-soldered the antenna connection on the board just to get it out of the way.

4. chiily

24 hours later and the Creek is still on station.

Very happy owner...

5. John R

John R pfm Member

That's great news. They're superb little tuners aren't they? Thanks for posting about your success.

John R.

6. chiily

Really old thread, but I've been asked which caps I changed. Now, I can't remember the values so I've taken a picture of the inside of the tuner and highlighted the caps I changed.

[​IMG]

7. stevecole

stevecole Member

Hi Chiily,

I've just got one of these too, and would echo yours and other favourable comments about this tuner. Mine does wander a bit as it warms up - it will be about 400kHz off-tune when switched back on from stone cold, too far for the AFC to pull it back in, but when fully warmed up it stays put. Is this similar to how yours behaved before you fixed it?

8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

All the circled caps are electrolytic, and physically small at that. As such their capacitance will not be critical to anything - certainly not any kind of timing or frequency determination: normal electrolytic capacitance tolerances would be -20/+50% in those sort of sizes! Almost all certainly for PSU purposes then, with some considerable wide latitude.

If you have an existing tuner to hand, replacing with like-for-like values will work.

Otherwise worst -case one could try googling for datasheets for the IC numbers - these will usually give typical schematic data that's often enough to resurrect a dead device where the parts values are unmarked or unknown :)

9. Linn Naim

Linn Naim pfm Member

Do Creek still service their older tuners???

Chris N

10. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Thanks. Interesting as I have a 3140 and a 3040. I havent used them for a little while but they seem to be holding tuning with a good outside aerial.

My father handed me back my 3040 in mint condition after 25 years. (forgotten he had bought that when I was forced to sell my stuff) I remember it did start to drift but that may be the indoor T ribbon aerial I had to use then. You cant really put an aerial on your parents house :)

Its still working and doesnt seem to drift now when connected to a good external aerial. I have to do a full test on both of them but it is interesting to know that new capacitors sorts it out.

They are lovely tuners.

Oh and Creek once told me to leave one of their early products alone (smacked hands) so I dont think they would service them :)

11. chiily

Agreed that I was pretty sceptical about just replacing the electrolytic caps having any impact on the tuner's stability...well, once I get my hifi out of store (one year and counting) in the next couple of weeks I'll see if the tuner is back to its old tricks.

My new house has an external antenna (three element dipole) so it will be interesting to see how the tuner gets on with a decent signal.

12. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

I have just been testing my Creek 3040 tuner and it hasnt drifted off tune once!

Thats pretty damn good for a tuner my father had stored away for 25 years! Pretty damn good!

The key is an external antenna. I seem to remember it drifting when used with an internal T ribbon aerial which shouldnt really have been used into the 75ohm coax input.

A great tuner and my 3140 is getting fully tested next week