1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cricket - The Ashes 2019

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Andrew C!, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Post Brexit Interregnum, ready for the Apocalypse?

It is better, but the team still has one opener and four numbers fours. Root suggested Stokes would bat in the top four.

2. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Agreed , plenty of batters but one opener ,hopefully one can step up to the mark . It would be good if Archer can refind his mojo to pepper the ants in his pants Smith batting style

3. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

I caught Strauss the Ashes on Sky last night. I was. surprised to have very little memory of the 2009 series. He remarked on how he is/was very similar to Cook in batting and his approach to captaincy. I think the ECB should at least see if he is interested in the Coach job after Bayliiss goes.
    Ray

4. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Agree ref Strauss, but I cannot help but think his recent family bereavement will remove him from contention.

5. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

The weather looks set fair for next four days at least so we should get a result in this one.

I like the look of the team. Woakes is back and I have been banging on about the all round combativeness of Sam Curran being exactly what you need against the Aussies.

I don't know where that leaves Overton though. He was parachuted in for Old Trafford and probably would have retrained his place if he had batted to the close and yet he only took two wickets in the test and was picked on the strength of his bowling.

Strange game cricket; strange people selectors.

Ray

6. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

The England set up's ability to ruin confidence and potential knows no bounds. The treatment of Roy, thrown in to Test opening then slid down the order and finally discarded is a familiar pattern. He is that type of batsman that should have been introduced lower middle order and allowed to develop in Test cricket. When confidence increases, his defence improves and when his tail is up he can destroy attacks. Trying to solve an opening bat problem by ruining the potential of a later order destroyer makes no sense to me.

Weekender likes this.
  7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Mrs BM is off to the Oval tomorrow - she particularly wants to see Archer bowing at Smth. I told her if England bat first Australia will be batting tomorrow, if Australia bat first Smith will still be batting tomorrow so either way she should be in luck.....

Weekender likes this.
  8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

It's true that people are jumping on the bandwagon since OT. I've never liked him as a captain, they way he uses and treats some of the bowlers (Woakes & Rashid spring to mind), the over-cautiousness he learnt from Cook, the dreadful one session batting collapses, his own drop in batting form, etc etc. Did you see it was Graham Thorpe setting the declaration at Lords from the dressing room...

9. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Any forecasts as to the resut?

I will take a wild shot and say England will win it..........

gavreid likes this.
  10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Same with Moeen and most of the openers - even dropping people after they've got test centuries, rather than giving them time to iron out any problems. I totally agree

Eyebroughty likes this.
  11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Looks like a sunny weeked in London, so they're going to have to score some runs. Any overheads might be today so it could be a good toss to lose ?????

12. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Smith has got that Steve Waugh era Aussie ruthlessness and will grind our faces into the dust despite having already retained the Ashes.

(My pessimistic side is in the ascendant today it seems).

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Australia won the toss and chose to bowl, much to everone's surprise. It look like a good pitch, consensus is that it will spin so the Aussies need to take advantage. Conditions look to be overcast. As I said ealier they'll need to be at their best batting today, especially this morning, then hopefully it will ease a bit.

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

It certainly looks pretty overcast here in Morden, about 7 miles SSE of the Oval.

15. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Post Brexit Interregnum, ready for the Apocalypse?

Strauss appointed Bayliss as coach when Director of Cricket for the ECB. And then left due to the illness of his wife. But it would be a step down from his previous role. Senior MCC or ICC role probably his next role.

16. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

0/27 is the highest opening stand of the series

17. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Australia will be very disappointed at lunch after chosing to bowl and then dropping two chances. First Session to England, nearly a 100 runs and only 1 down, but they need to do better in the early afternoon.

18. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

7000 test runs. Only the 12th english man to do so. Fastest in time. Rooooot.

gavreid likes this.
  19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Great stuff!

20. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Oh dear, it`s all falling apart - still at this rate there`ll be time for Broad to get Warner out tonight.

gavreid likes this.