1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Thanks Steven. I'd have a few beers with you anytime :)

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I always seem to encounter cyclists going round blind bends or on the approach to a blind bend on country lanes, you have to hold back and wait to pass in those circumstances, it'd be dangerous to do otherwise.

3. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Common sense should prevail. Obvs.

4. linnfomaniac83

This made me smile, the reality is that I often have polar opposite views on things such as cars, politics etc (HIFI doesn't usually crop up), to those of the people I drink with... How often do you go into a pub and here a group of guys all agreeing with each other? You'd just get bored and go home.

5. linnfomaniac83

Yes of course, I always like to give cyclists plenty of space though... Id rather use both lanes where possible but I can certainly see where Jezza is coming from... I do my best not to make cyclists feel uncomfortable.

Although I did get accused of being a blind idiot when an elderly geezer pulled out on me on a small roundabout the other day :rolleyes:

6. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Oh well, my cycling log for today is: cracked frame.
    Cycling log for tomorrow is predicted to be: buy a new bike

7. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

That's not good but a cracked frame is better than a cracked body :)

Cheaper to fix/replace too.

8. markt

markt hello

Sorry to hear that.

On the upside, could start a new thread and let us at PFM vicariously spend your money for you. :)

9. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

First spin on new Ksyrium SLE's, new chain and cassette tomorrow : ) !

10. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Lolz.

If you buy a bike from a shop that assembles them from scratch as I did three times during my youth and 20s you could salvage the buts apart from the frame and have them reassembled on a new frame.

11. andrewhockley

andrewhockley pfm Member

My cycling diary for the weekend was:
    Follow a bunch of ignorant pigs on the Lincolnshire Arrow ride, who were intent on dumping every piece of arbitrary packaging crap that they had managing to hoard over the previous week onto the Lincolnshire countryside. What is the disconnect here? I just don't understand; cyclists respect the environment, it's why they ride bikes, no??? I'm just trying to minimise the stain I leave on the planet when I depart, so what on earth is going on when a bunch of cyclists just strew litter like confetti as they cycle along? The organisers tell me that the problem is so bad that they have to use a clean up crew following the ride. Grrrrr. Baffled.

12. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Cuz it's pro, innit!

13. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

It's not though. The pros now have zones where they are expected to unload their debris. Other than the tradition of chucking bottles, but you don't see sportivists doing that.

I don't understand the littering. It's vile.

Paul

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It certainly is and it gives the sport a poor image. When I cycled up Ventoux there was litter everywhere. I wanted to say it wasn't cyclists but a lot of it was plastic from energy gels, and passing motorists are hardly eating them and throwing them aside.

I do think that it comes from the image of the pros throwing bottles aside. Yes, we know that these days they only throw them in dump zones or in towns where the fans will pick them up, but the ignorati don't think this far. It's something the sport needs to address, others do. Leeds climbers have a cleanup evening at popular local crags at the end of the summer, and my running club had held a race where the route was marked by tape on trees. The marshals had cleared it away afterwards but we still went round again on the next training night to pick up any stragglers. If you don't do this then you have no grounds for complaint when your favourite sporting area is festooned with crisp packets, drinks cans and dog turds.

15. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

It's OK it's done 5 years of twice per week MTBing. You can't expect a 25lb bike (incl pedals) with 100mm X 2 travel to last forever. I ride it to its limits - 4 or 5ft flat landings on an XC/race bike. I used to change my bike every 2 years but the Anthem X was so much fun I never felt any desire to change,

Not fixable. Alu can be welded but it will not last - it mucks up the heat treatment. Might be able to find a 2nd hand frame.

A bit frustrating because the Crossmax SL wheelset is 26" and that's about as legacy as all our speakers now :).

New thread coming up.....

16. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

I still have a pair of Crossmax SL's in the loft - one of the first tubeless compatible wheelsets.

26" with the right tyre is no different to 27.5 in many cases. It's just marketing IMHO. Sadly bolt through axles screw things up for many of us.

I have a Ti frame. It's lasted 13 years so far and is as good as new :)

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm out of touch on the new MTB styles, mine standardised on 26" wheels. The new vogue for 29 and 27.5 (has that caught on?) strikes me as just the manufacturers inventing a new genre, as if we needed one between MTB, c-cross and flat bar hybrid.

You can of course sell on the tasty bits, I know of more than one person who buys broken bikes and sells them for spares. I myself have done the 1-good-from-2-bad trick with a knackered Halfords £100 special and some dismal BSO that was so useless all the moving parts I wanted were unworn. I've also bought a dogeared pile of cobbled together junk and restored it to health with bits from the bits box and sold it on for a reasonably good price. More desirable bits though go for decent money, so you could do this to offset the new bike cost.

If you want to keep the goodies from your existing bike because they are still good, I would imagine that a replacement frame needn't cost a hill of beans if you like that model and want to keep the other mechanicals.

18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

So I will jump in...beautiful afternoon yesterday and did my usual ride to Arley Hall car park and back. Traffic back through Carrington a mare but managed to make good time through it. Nearly run off the road in my own street by a nutter in an open top Audi.
    Fine, warm and windless this a.m. Female in twenties pulled out of a side road in front of me. Massive adrenaline rush and may have improved some Strava segments.
    On the subject of Strava - any PF users? Was thinking of setting up a PF group.
    Also may get a Gopro to document incidents and as outlet for all the righteous indignation I am feeling!

19. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Yesterday was Tour of Cambridgeshire Gran Fondo,

[​IMG]

(Photo lifted from SportoGraf's public Facebook page)

I think I've qualified for the UCI amateur worlds in Denmark in September...

Everywhere we passed where people live they were present beside the road applauding and cheering, even though the road closure must have been an annoyance. Undoubtedly there were moaners, but generally the positivity and optimism was awesome.

And since this was a race there were groups travelling at very high speed, very close together, which is actually quite an experience to witness at close quarters, (better to be inside the group though...).

Paul

20. jp55

jp55 pfm Member

Does he make loudspeakers?