1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Jun 2, 2015.

1. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Bummer

2. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Pinarello have just launched the F12, latest version of the Dogma. The red and black one is possibly the most beautiful bike I've ever seen.

Complete bike with SRAM Red Etap and Zipp wheels will set you back . . . . . £12,000.

I'm a bloke who has spent a lot of dosh on bike bling over the years but this is ridiculous. The world has gone mad.

3. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

4. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

5. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Wants it.

6. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Solo ride to my favourite cafe, The Rusty Bike at Swainby.

Strava had me at 28.8kph average for my 127kms ride but on my Wahoo bike computer my average was 29.4kph. Anyone know why Strava does this? It's annoying.

PhilofCas likes this.
  7. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

28.8kph is fast enough Harry :p

Having said that, I’d look at the respective settings for when riding slow, my mate has his (Garmin) set to switch off when below 6mph (I think), thereby increasing his average speed, he’s also got some kind of elevation cheat thing going on, his always registers a lot higher/more than mine :rolleyes:.

8. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

yes, it could be your bike computer registering starting/stopping at different speeds to Strava

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

sean99 likes this.
  10. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

nice but for that money I'd be looking at a BMC but I'm middle aged and a bit thick round the middle - would look a bit of a nob riding any of these superbikes. In the meantime I'll carry on riding my poundshop Planet X ti (Ultegra 11spd and Mavic Kysrium Exalith), a frame that I have ridden for over 16,000km on without being killed which is not possible apparently, and Dolan temporary bike (Ultegra Di2, Mavic cosmic carbon - bit self concious about the deep rims and might replace these). The Dolan will be replaced in a year or so with something else that takes my fancy, probably on a day I'm bored at work or had a puncture or something else annoying. The PX will be rebuilt yet again at some point assuming can still get parts to fit. The commuter, a GT Grade with Mavic all road wheels, will be replaced when it is knackered -usually get about 3 Winters out of a commuter before the grit and rain effs it up to the point I can't be bothered sorting it out and just buy something new.

11. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Phil, I guess most cyclists my age would kill to ride that fast over such distance but I'm very competitive. Always have been. It's just the way I am.

Re the Garmin thing, yes adjusting the pause settings so it stops when you drop below a certain speed is a legitimate change or a cheat, depending how you look at it. I use a Wahoo Bolt and it isn't allow for any change. The auto pause is a bit annoying and you can't change the settings. That's its only fault though. In every way it knocks spots off my previous Garmins. The new Garmins do look the business though.

PhilofCas likes this.
  12. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

A couple of mates have PX Tis. They're nice. I had a set of Ksyrium Exaliths and loved them. I'm after another set. Cosmic Carbons are lovely as long as they're not the alloy braking surface ones ;-)

You'll always be able to get parts to fit your PX :)

13. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

14. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I wouldn’t even have that if it was half the price. Too many bad stories about Canyon.

15. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

I'm a recent convert from Garmin 820 to Wahoo Elemnt- so much better. Can't fault Garmin's after service which made me stick with the brand longer than I would have.

HarryB likes this.
  16. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Love my PX ti, just the proliferation and rapid changes in groupsets makes finding (new) components a pain. Needed to replace the brake calipers, ended up buying a new Ultegra groupset last time. Not a fan of second hand bike parts having suffered a catastrophic failure at speed in the past.

It's the Mavic Cosmic Pro disc on the Dolan (DR1 like top picture but in matt red and grey, Ultegra Di2: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolandr1.html), you are right about the none disc alloy braking surface but also I am not sure 28mm Gaterskins currently on are the appropriate tyre really. Ideally I'd have shallower and lighter rims - not sure deep rims are a good look at the speeds I travel at these days and I need all the help I can get on the hills.

17. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

The pinarello looks the part, but you've got to have the motor to back it up or you look foolish - and I most certainly don't have the motor. At least with my $1k TT bike and the 25 yr old 531c road bike there are no false expectations to meet.
    For £12k I think my best cycling investment would be some PEDs.

Ibbots and HarryB like this.
  18. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

I've had a Canyon CF SLX 9 since 2011. It's brilliant. Lots of my mates have them. There was a supply issue with Canyon a few years ago when they were expanding but I've had nothing but a good experience with them.

19. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

I did a big corporate ride over a few days last year. Apart from a few oiks like me on Px's or other 'budget' brands, Canyon and Enigma were the most evident expensive bikes. Also one very nice Colnago C10 and a full spec S-Works. There were no Pinarellos which surprised me given that all the riders were property professionals, lawyers and architects (ie loaded, unlike me). Colnago boy stopped speaking to me when I told him that after studying all the bikes I had decided his was the one I would steal. The only rider who did any proper racing was on a lowish spec Trek I think.

20. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I expect that if you are racing and not sponsored you need something that can be fixed / replaced for sensible money - plus the bike is a pretty minor part of the equation, provided it fits well. I'm sure that Pinarello would be a lot faster than my 531c road bike, but I don't expect it would be much quicker than a $2k Trek.

Ibbots likes this.