1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Jun 2, 2015.

1. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

I don't see many Pinarello's in London or Kent. Cervello's are quite popular. I understand the reason that British Cycling teamed up with Cervello for their Olympic Track bikes was the fact that Cervello are ahead of the game aerodynamically.

2. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

There’s not a great deal of difference. It’s mostly marketing bullshit. The trend now is for aero bikes. Everybody does them. In reality, unless you can bool along at 40kph (and few can) then an aero bike isn’t going to make any difference.

These days I’ve sacrificed speed for bling and good looks :)

3. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Three mates can testify to broken ones. One very recently. Fantastic VFM but I’ve been put off by problems my pals have had. The after sales service seemed really crap as well. I do like the look of them though.

4. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Pathetic low mileage, but today just passed 4000 miles since new on my lovely Wilier which I've probably had for about 10 years!. It's a great bike, fits me like a glove. I love it.

We're having a great week just North of the Loire, easing into longer rides with my wife on her De Rosa - this suits her well, with a smoother ride than mine. We'e done almost all our cycling on the tandem in the last few years and it has taken her a while to get confident riding on a good fast solo bike but she's having a great week on the amazing French rural roads. I tend to go ahead for a few km then loop back.

Hers 'n' his ( from a couple of years ago)
    [​IMG]IMG_5265 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

5. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Had a go at the new Bolton Iron Man bike route today. 75km and quite lumpy with 1300m climbing, and the Iron People do 2 laps bracketed by some other exhausting nonsense. We did have a slight diversion off route up Ramsbottom Rake, 25% of top 100 climb which nearly did for me, and found a new coffee stop where you can buy posh scotcheggs.

I have ridden lots of it before, the main climbs part of my regular routes, but I learnt some new little links. Trouble with the IM is that roads I use a lot will now be filled with super athletes testing the course and helping make me look even slower and fatter. Bastards.

Weekender, ian123running and HarryB like this.
  6. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

4,000 miles in ten years. That’s criminal :) I like Wiliers. What size is it? If it’s my size you should give it to me so it will get properly run in ;-)

My oldest Pinarello is also ten. Last month to be precise. I don’t know how many miles it’s done. I dread to think :)

ian123running likes this.
  7. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Tough session today. Did two hours hard at 30kph and then went for steak pie peas and gravy before a sedate 20kms home at an alarmingly slow speed :)

Weekender, ian123running and Ibbots like this.
  8. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

I did say pathetic... but in my defence we also do about 3000 miles a year on the tandem - much of it towing a trailer with camping gear. I do recommend that for resistance training. Fast downhill too.... 50mph-plus a few times which quickens the pulse a little! I do love both bikes. The tandem has a momentum and pace on the right terrain that is pretty hard to beat especially once we are both cycling-fit. We've ridden it across the USA (two sides out of four, so far...), France, Corsica, the Rockies etc etc.

But this week I'm really enjoying re-connecting with Wilier, It's an old Izoard btw with mid-range Campag. Been faultless and brilliant since day one.

HarryB, Ibbots and Weekender like this.
  9. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I've always been a Campag man. Longevity and reliability is the best in the business and if something goes wrong it can be fixed and spare parts are generally available.

That said, I rarely see anyone under 50 using Campag. If I was starting again I don't think i would

10. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

I’m a Sram man, myself. I find the hand position on the shifters really comfortable.

11. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Tried SRAM a couple of times but struggled with the single tap thing although I know guys that really like it. Probably needed more time to adjust. I've always had Shimano.

12. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Yeah, SRAM has always been ranked third by me. But if I was staring from scratch I’d go for their latest ETap. Absolute genius. The range of gears is just amazing.

13. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Is that the wireless one? I saw a version of this on a tandem which seemed a great way to go - avoids the long rear cable and, on ours, would simplify the process of breaking the frame (S&S couplers) when we chuck it in the car or pack it for flying. The conversion price was a little eye-watering though and I think would mean converting from triple to double chainrings. So we're sticking to our conventional Shimano shifters for now until we win the lottery.

HarryB likes this.
  14. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Yes, the new AXS groupset looks amazing. very tempted.

But the SRAM Red groupset on my BMC has been near trouble free for 50,000 km and shows no sign of going wrong, so I guess I'll keep it for now.

Ibbots likes this.
  15. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

My best cycling pal has just bought the AXS for his Cervelo. Be interesting to see it in operation.

16. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

This morning we did our 5th ride this week, and the best yet. The wind has finally dropped making for more consistent riding. Outstanding roads just north of Saumur in the farming and woodland countryside of the Parc Naturel Regional Loire-Anjou-Touraine, Almost no traffic - in the first 30 mins I counted 2 cars on the road.

35 miles at about 16mph including a fair bit of looping back to support my good wife. She’s cruising around 14mph and now really learning about consistent effort - she used to get tense and discouraged on the solo but now seems to have found her groove.

17. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Despite best intentions only riding I am going to manage this weekend is going out with the bin lid and her little pal for a potter around the paths of Rivington followed by icecream for them and coffee and flapjack for me at the Greathouse Barn cafe.

HarryB, NeilR and ian123running like this.
  18. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

Local ride from near our house to the coast, we're just starting road biking again after decades of MTB. 22 miles yesterday, my back feels a bit stiff this morning, not used to the roadie position. We plumped for Specialized Roubaix as wedding anniversary gifts, happy with the purchase, so much more responsive than my 20+ year old steel framed Trek with non index shifters!

Weekender, Ibbots, HarryB and 2 others like this.
  19. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Back on the bike today after nearly three weeks off the bike due to illness.

Did a couple of hours, was great to be in the saddle again.

20. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Big group out today and a hard climb thrown in. About 145kms at 30kph. Average would have been higher but we had a number of slow taps to allow the fat lads at the back to get back on. Second biggest week of the year at just under 500kms. Getting some form back after illness lay-off.

Weekender, Ibbots and ian123running like this.