1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Jun 2, 2015.

1. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

It's a simple tradeoff between risk and consequences:

Ride on road:
    Very small chance of death or very serious injury

Ride on footpath:
    Very small chance of a small fine

Not a difficult decision for me. One other important consideration is that I am 'in control' on the pavement, whereas some randomer is holding all the cards when I'm on the road.
    Of course this equation is only valid for high risk, few/no pedestrian areas.

2. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

There's far less risk of my being injured or killed in my 4x4 by taking the Bridleway to Marlow rather than the A404. I don't do that though. It's illegal and irresponsible.

3. S-Man

You admit you've got a 4X4 as well as being deaf?

What will be your next confession - that you wear a too-tight leather jacket and need to raise your voice because of your hearing deficiencies? :)

BTW I'm sure Steven Toy would have some forum speak for what you just did - "reducto absurdum" or something.

4. merlin

Actually I don't drive or cycle anymore but my point stands :)

The law is the law.

5. S-Man

6. merlin

I just think riding a bike on the pavement does no one any favours. I doubt I'm alone in thinking that.

7. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Like.

8. S-Man

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/

"On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. The then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by ‘Community Support Officers’ and wardens.

“CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)"

9. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Do you remember the copper who threatened to confiscate the bicycle of a four-year-old child for riding on the pavement?

10. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

The Ironman race is coming to town next weekend. The owner of the taxi firm I work for is planning to close for half a day given that we cannot get around while so many roads are closed. This should not be allowed.

11. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Why not?

Paul

12. S-Man

I agree Steven. The taxi firm owner should not be allowed to take holiday.

13. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Perhaps I could get the taxi trade together and sue the organisers for loss of earnings. If successful it would stop Ironman coming to town again.

14. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

Well you can always go and watch the Iron man thing and instruct them on how to do it better.

15. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

...or consider the wider benefit to the local economy of a mass participation, international sporting event taking place in your area.

16. merlin

Well S Man - you learn something every day. Thanks. I was always under the impression it was strictly forbidden - as I suspect are the majority of pedestrians.

I would still argue it's both bad for cyclists' image and safety in general. The best way to tackle it surely has to be to prevent situations where cyclists fear for their lives in the first place?

17. S-Man

But look at the hill I linked to earlier (used on the TdY - poor sods hitting that after 200 k of racing!!!!!). There's a very decent footpath next to a narrow road up an average 1:6.5 gradient, mostly 60MPH limit, and almost no foot traffic. Car drivers hate to be held up my me doing 4MPH probably as much as I dislike them screaming past me at 70MPH. I use the path = win-win!

In a local village I often bunny hop onto the path to let cars past - they often give a toot and a wave to say thanks (at least that's my interpretation :D). It's too windey for them to get past normally. I've never, ever seen anyone walk on that particular stretch of path.

I agree, and in urban areas it needs serious attention. However I would never expect them to waste money on it in places like my example - East Chevin Road.

18. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

The road closures mean you have to take longer routes and therefore earn more for the same jobs. I think you might be on a hiding to nothing there.

It's a typically small minded petty view you're expressing here. There is a substantial community benefit to hosting large sporting events. Tangible and intangible.

While I disapprove in principle of triathlon, swimming and running really should have nothing to do with bike riding, if they wanted to close a road around here for an event I'd be quite happy to make alternative arrangements for the afternoon.

Why not go to transition and watch?

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed. Football excepted (as it attracts so many drunken violent idiots) I'd be happy for the town centre to be closed off for any big sporting event. I very much enjoyed going to watch the TdF when it came within a few miles of my home last year and it certainly gave the whole region a boost.

20. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

It isn't in the town centre. It's on several of the arterial routes.

Anyway, I'll lose maybe an hour so I'll have a bit of a lie-in after finishing the night before at 4 am. I may even be busier later as a result.

As for prolonging journeys in distance or time, I actually hate doing that, even legitimately.