1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Jun 2, 2015.

1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Above 35 all day at Centerparcs, I'll try and get a couple of hours in tomorrow before the temps rise.

2. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

What is wrong with you people. Cycling and warm weather is a perfect combination. Nothing finer.

My legs haven’t fully recovered from a Sunday epic but I did two hours @ 32kph and enjoyed every minute of it. Helped the tan lines as well :)

3. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

I did 2 hours at 14kph today. Have been riding my cx bike off road on gravel tracks a lot recently. Much nicer riding through shady forest than slogging up long climbs in full sun in 37 degC temperatures.

4. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Rubbish, 15 degrees and spitting on is where its at

foxwelljsly likes this.
  5. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

You obviously don’t have to repeatedly ride up 20 minute plus climbs in full sun risking dehydration and heatstroke. I do and it is not very pleasant. Anything up to about 30 deg is ok but over that? hmmm.

6. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

-5c to +25c is my preferred range. Outside of that I prefer a trip to the pool / gym. With high humidity I wouldn’t want to be riding above 25c.

7. chainrule

chainrule gordon

i was in the alps from mid June to early July. we had 10 straight days of 38+ deg heat. the thermometer maxed out at 48. no AC in the hotel rooms.

glad to be back in central idaho. highs 27-30. lows 8-12. no humidity.

8. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

All my cycling kit says "wash at 30C". So how can I go out cycling when it's hotter than 30?

foxwelljsly and Weekender like this.
  9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Finally got to go out for a proper blast on my new mountain bike today. Having only ever ridden upright short travel full susses and hardtails, this is my first slack trail bike with 150mm travel at each end and 2.6" tyres. Absolute riot, but a bit soft. On checking when I got home, factory setup was for someone 4 stone lighter than me. I think a day off this week for a visit to swinley beckons.

NeilR likes this.
  10. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Lucky to make it home today. Joined a big roundabout on the edge of town to take the second exit. As I approached the first exit I could see a car coming towards the roundabout and I thought , as I passed arrived at the first exit, 'he's not going to stop!'. And he didn't. Only accelerating with everything I had took me clear of the front of his car as he entered the round about behind me and followed me down my exit , beeping his horn at me all the way until he could overtake.

Weekender likes this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

What a ****.

12. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

http://www.weatherbagel.com If you have a file of your intended route enter it and get a weather forecast. Normally works but of course when used it last week it didn't!

13. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Watched the Ride London Classic roar past with about 4k to go. Must have been going 35mph in a very tight bunch. I purposely kept my camera phone in my pocket. The down draft from the helicopter, and the speed of riders had the leaves dancing in the road.
    I've ridden the 100, 5 out of the 7 editions. Most people I spoke to had a good ride. Not too many incidents. One mate did it in 4 hours 5 mins despite having a puncture. Others rode as Ride Safety Captains. A friend who had a baby in the Spring rode it, stopping briefly near her house to feed the baby! Great to see lots of people new to cycling really giving it a go and completing their challenge.

sean99 likes this.
  14. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

One of the weakest riders in our group did 4hrs and 3mins. He weighs over 17st. Just sayin ;-)

15. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

No I don’t. But I’d love it. I’ve ridden in the Alps twice. Did Alpe dhuez in scorching afternoon sun. Time just under an hour. Loved it. And I’d been up Galibier before it. I’ve also ridden in Majorca many times, Spain many times, Portugal and Italy.

Just a few days ago I was cold and wet on top of Buttertubs in the Yorkshire Dales and then got completely soaked doing Oxnop Scar. Never mind though, the 25% gradients warmed me up a bit.

Prior to the Dales I was in Wales. Got soaked doing Horseshoe Pass. Before that I was in the Peak District. It was so wet, dams were bursting all around me.

Enjoy the sun and think yourself very lucky.

16. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

I rode up the Col Des Abeilles on a stinking hot day (10km at about 7%) and had to slow down in order not to keel over. When I arrived at the next town, my wife was waiting with in a cafe. " Hot enough for you?" she said, pointing at a thermometer in the cool of the shade. 40°C. Felt rather foolish. No wonder the roads were empty. I would say 36C is my limit. Feels lovely but does limit performance a bit. Cold weather , forget it. Rather use the gym bike.

17. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Well according to BBC weather forecast the world was probably going to end sometime today. Undeterred I ventured out to see if there were any takers for the club run. Normally there are 50-100 riders who ride out in groups of 12. Today there were only 9 of us! Plenty of sunshine, a couple of showers and the occasional gust of wind. The lanes of Kent do a pretty good job sheltering you from the wind. It felt great to get out there, much better than turbo trainer!

lordsummit likes this.
  18. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I rode to a Parkrun I had not visited before, 20k there, a hilly 5k and then straight back. 10 min slower and a little more climbing but it was fun for me.

sean99, ian123running and andrew d like this.
  19. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Just had my first hit and run. I was cycling home along the road in which I live and a car coming from the opposite direction tried to cut across to make a corner before I got there but the gap just wasn't there. Once I got up off the extremely wet ground and moved my bike off the road and out of the path of his car, he asked whether I was alright and when I said I don't know and that I'd like him to call the police, he pulled his door over then drove off.

Thankfully, there were plenty of witnesses so I've reported it to the police and provided them with the contact info of one of the witnesses. Fwiw, I was wearing a hi-vis yellow jacket and a hi-vis yellow rain cover for my helmet so I was definitely visible. In fairness to the guy, I don't think he was speeding, but he definitely didn't judge the situation correctly. And driving off was obviously the worst error of judgment.

As for damage, I've got a few cuts and scrapes and my front wheel is buckled a bit. Apart from that, I'm essentially okay. Shaken, not stirred...

20. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

The worst summer for years continues. Quite cold and got soaked. First soaking since Sunday :) 79km at 30.4kph and a nice Strava top ten cup and a pb that I’ve wanted all year.