1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Jun 2, 2015.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

2. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Yes, they kept that quiet! Hopefully they'll scrap HS2 as millions of folk will realise they can work from home. Everyday seems like a Sunday before they allowed Sunday trading.

I hope the boffins are studying the reduction in C02 and its environmental impact during this global lockdown, like heat maps etc

windhoek likes this.
  3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

sean99 likes this.
  4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Bell. Use it.

5. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I suppose if we have a war with Europe and all our towns are flattened, we’d have a starting point like the Dutch had.

6. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Just a short ride today, battling the wind along the coastal road. Distinct drop in temp, too.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

"Every day is like Sunday...Every day is silent and grey..."

Yes they are. NOx is right down.

Paulicus likes this.
  8. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Another 30 minutes on the turbo today. Backside felt slightly better this time!

9. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

I always find sessions on the turbo much worse on the backside than riding outside. I guess it's to do with the fact that you move your weight around a lot less on the turbo.

SteveG likes this.
  10. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Most of the bells on the market are pathetic. On my town shopping bike I have large "ding dong" bell which usually does the job. But recently it did not stop someone coming towards me stepping into my path because she was on her phone.

On my other bike I have a Lion Bell

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/

and a Hornit:

https://www.thehornit.com/

I see that the newer Hornits have more options.

The Hornit is loud enough to attract attention from a distance which is the best way to use it. It gives time for people realise that there is something coming and then to react.

ff1d1l likes this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Can't do it...had to go out...just local loops before starting work...6.7miles...felt like further...fingers nippy in spring/autumn gloves about 5c.

Paulicus likes this.
  12. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

I escaped out for a bit this morning while the enemy went to work for a few hours. Quite a cold wind here, too.

Weekender likes this.
  13. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

14 miles today in the frozen North (8c wind 21 gusting 31 according to RAF Lossiemouth). Dropped off birthday card for great nephew then back the long way home. Nice long slog up a hill into the wind then a nice run home with the tailwind.

Paulicus and Weekender like this.
  14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I was out cycling this morning at 7am @ -1C with snow flurries. No winds though (fortunately). Cold rain for the next couple of days - I draw the line when it's cold AND wet.

Snufkin, Paulicus and Weekender like this.
  15. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

My old track pump has developed a fault. It still pumps air into the tyre but it no longer seals tightly in the process so it's a case pump, pump, pump and then remove the connector as quick as possible before the pressure drops down to the point where I need to pump, pump, pump all over again.

I bought a Crevit track pump from Lidl a couple of weeks ago but when I went to use it for the first time yesterday, the connector snapped off. Bloody useless.

Seeing as I plan on cycling for the rest of my days - however short that might be - I might as well buy a pump that will last. What do you guys recommend?

I meant to say, I usually pump to a smidge over 100psi.

16. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Topeak joe blow

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've had a metal bodied Silca since my student days 30 years ago, it's been flawless and is used regularly without trouble.

18. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Having cycled most of my life, I finally bought one of these when I hit 60. What a great pump with a fairly accurate gauge. It did make me wonder why it took me so long to get one. I also use it for the car to add a little air/balance the pressures because the gauge seems more sensitive than my footpump .

19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I have a couple of decathlon track pumps, they are excellent at about £20. I also have a fancy Italian one with a detachable head, also very good but a bit fiddly, I used this when I was TTing as it was excellent for inflating tubs via a lossy valve extender.

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This is the other pump I have. I rarely use it as the detachable head is a bit fiddly but it works well for tubs with extenders. Very well made though, will last for ever.