1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyrus Unofficial forum : closed

Discussion in 'off topic' started by maro73, Nov 5, 2019.

1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

ah BIGFISH wonderful to hear from you again !!! :):) hope it goes well with buying a new system

2. wicky

wicky pfm Member

Mr Nutt
    Don't worry - be in contact soon to pick your brain - be fun starting from scratch I reckon
    Hope life is treating you well :)

3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Fab, look forward to it

4. jules

jules Member

Update: sold the CD8x and have now got a Chromecast audio, it sounded pretty good for the money (£35!) and had slightly better bass than the CD8x but was beaten in all other areas as you would expect. I'm playing Tidal through it.

Picked up a Schiit Modi Multibit V2 DAC off ebay at a bargin price and now go optical from the CCA into the Schiit. Very happy camper and both together outperform the CD8x.

So looking at the RRP prices:

CCA - £35
    Schiit Modi Mulitbit - £270
    PreVs2 - £600
    X-power - £1000
    Leema Xone - £1600

I think the 'spend most money on the source' model needs at update!

caine and hifinutt like this.
  5. abozo

abozo David H

Very nice, jules. Though, I will always have an odd place in my heart for the CD8x, and the countless number I've repaired - with various levels of success & failure! :rolleyes:

RIP CU.

caine and hifinutt like this.
  6. jules

jules Member

Ha ha yes, I think there are still many people who have a fondness for this era of hifi equipment. I did have quite a few responses to the advert - it was in A1 condition and had original manual, remote (unopened), box, etc. To my eyes it's still a great looking player :cool:

7. maro73

maro73 Member

hello guys
    I've got some cyrus stuffs .. any idea of where to sell them ?
    Cheers

8. jules

jules Member

I sold my cd8x on gumtree... Are you in the UK?

9. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

no , maro is in France

10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

are you coming to the wam show maro ? they have a bring and buy stall . some tasty stuff there

11. angelface

angelface New Member

I have sold some stuff on leboncoin.fr as they are people who like Cyrus gear in France. No fees unless you want to.

12. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

welcome stephen , good to see you on pfm

13. StephenB

StephenB pfm Member

another ex CU member here [TheBurras]

sad to hear of its demise, pretty much what got me hooked on HiFi many moons ago

from memory started with a CD3 with q24 module

last piece of kit CDXT Signature, lost count of how many black boxes I went through :)

14. Marksw16

Marksw16 New Member

This all seems pretty active for an ex website... I haven't been here for years - but does anyone have the CDi? I was wondering if it would be worth 850 to upgrade from an 8x - any views/experience?

15. angelface

angelface New Member

I had a CD8x as a transport and went to CDXTSE2 - massive improvement. I have a friend who went CD8x to CDi and he was impressed.

16. Marksw16

Marksw16 New Member

Thank you. I'm surprised at how few reviews I can find. Only the What HiFi one, in the usual glowing terms.

17. ashsturge

ashsturge New Member

I used to be on the forum around 2013, always a really good place.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the One Cast, trying to pick between that and the 8 2 Dac. The One Cast seems very functional but I'm not sure it's much more than One.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  18. vantheman

vantheman pfm Member

Just came across this thread and I’m another ex CU
    member here [dclong]

sad to hear of it’s closure, it was a wonderful place and helped me so much on my hi fi journey

jules and hifinutt like this.
  19. jules

jules Member

Not heard these components, however after much research my current thinking is to keep sources and amps separate. I say this because amps are generally mature technology whereas (digital) sources are changing / improving in a short amount of time.

Take Cyrus stuff. I've had my x-power amp for 10 years and it's still great sounding. RRP was £1000.

However my CD8x had an RRP of £1000 10 years ago and it can now be beaten my a streaming setup that cost less than a 1/3 of this price.

Similarly with DACs. A £300 Chord Mojo could probably beat any DAC below £1000 from 5 years ago.... I remember reading a post from IanMac (of filters fame) about a £150 Chinese Topping D50 DAC nearly outperforming his Benchmark DAC.

Also these £2.5k Naim streaming pre-amps are all well and good but will the streaming functionality still be supported in 10years time?

Thoughts anyone?

20. ashsturge

ashsturge New Member

It's an interesting point. For c.£1500 there are obviously lots of options and I should perhaps emphasise the need to be single box/small profile. Family friendliness is paramount!

I agree on the point regarding a good power amp lasting a lot longer than any other component, maybe even speakers.

Like I say, the one cast covers all the bases but I just think it'll fall £500 in 6-12 months. On the other hand, maybe more than 1 "normal" size box is not currently viable. Part of me thinks just get a sonos port for the voice control and feed my tv through it as well and keep the Naim XS2 I have at the moment