1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DAC for a Supernait 2

Discussion in 'audio' started by wpm, Jan 21, 2019.

1. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Hi

My CDP is off for repair with a faulty mechanism ( Philips CD960 ) and it will be a while before i have it back.

CD Playback was my primary more of music listening.

I anticipate more CD playback problems given the hot / humid and dusty environment here.

My CD960 is old as well so things & people age..

But i have some 2TB of music in wav which i can use my laptop to foobar to USB DAC and onward to Naim Supernait 2

Looking for musical DAC ( without pre amp ) and a max budget of USD 1500

these are the choices i have

Rega DAC R - USD 1000 here - new with 1 year warranty
    Naim DAC - used - USD 1500 approx here

My amp is a Naim Supernait 2

U think the Naim DAC ( Jan 2010 model ) is worth the extra USD 500 ?

regards

2. a dca

a dca Well-Known Member

3. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Hi

Thanks for your response

I am not for importing into India.

The Rega DAC R ( new ) and Naim DAC ( used ) are both available locally

regards

4. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Would it be easier if you mentioned which DACs you have access to in India?

wpm likes this.
  5. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Hi cerealkiller

Metrum is avbl but the Amethyst has a pre Amp and headphone out which I don't want

The price is higher too

6. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

wpm likes this.
  7. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

Can you explain what you mean with "behind the current curve"?

8. wpm

wpm pfm Member

maybe he means it doesnt have the latest features modern DAC's have - streaming and the ability to handle hi res etc..

regards

9. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

FGPA, NOS DACs, there are a myriad of advances since the Naim DAC came out. I owned one and found it bettered by a Hugo TT which in turn I found bettered by a Holo Spring DAC.

YMMV.

.sjb

10. wpm

wpm pfm Member

SJB

can i connect my laptop USB to Naim DAC front panel USB input directly ?

what cable will i need ?

am not much of as computer guy

inputs welcome

regards

11. wpm

wpm pfm Member

SJB

The Kitsune is out of my budget

I may look at the used Naim DAC due to reasons of compatibility and Naim family sound with the SN2

The Rega DAC R OTOH is cheaper and might be easier to pass on to someone who has a non Naim amp

Auditions are not ( sadly ) possible for me

The purpose of my getting into DAC territory ( despite me being a CD guy is my CD player is broken and will take time to fix - my turntable Lenco L75 will take a couple of months ). So i need something to get the music playing - something musical and with some PRAT.

I dont have any hi res music and i do not intend to stream.

regards

12. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

No the Naim DAC is not a USB DAC, that port if for an iPad (or USB stick).
    You will need a USB / SPDIF converter to get USB to the naim DAC.

You won't go wrong with the Rega but like most DACs it will lose more resale value than amps etc.

.sjb

13. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

You could get a used Philips or Marantz CD player off eBay to put you on and have a spare - even get one with a CDM-1 in it.

Get a decent £100ish USB DAC as a stop gap, something like the Schiit (stupid name) would do fine - loads of other makes. You could keep or move on with little loss in £.

I've have had both the nDAC and Rega, I thought the Rega was as good and better value, the Naim though will visually match and is still good, but as SJB explained, behind the curve on features. Make sure the seller has it on the latest firmware, I remember it being a faff updating it.

Chord DACs are popular with Naim users - some of the older ones like a 2Qute may be worth a hunt for.

Gus

wpm likes this.
  14. wpm

wpm pfm Member

I prefer not to add another box ( USB to SPDIF conversion )

I dont know how the USB to SPDIF will affect the Naim DAC

regards

15. wpm

wpm pfm Member

My CDP is the Philips CD960 - has the CDM1

sadly it has a tray loading issue and is with my technician

Technicians here prioritize jobs based on the income from the job and i guess i am in queue

regards

16. wpm

wpm pfm Member

The Chord 2Qute - is this very clinical and revealing ?

would rather err on the side of being a bit mellow but fast PRAT

hope i am making sense..

regards

17. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

Hope he gets it fixed and something simple like greasing cogs

Yeah so if you buy one off ebay with the same exact mech you have a spare, one of the cheaper Marantz/Philips for example, some have CDM-1 mechs

I don’t think a USB to SPDif will cause any problems, lots of guys use them, it’s a small device easy hidden

No idea how the Chord will sound in your system/room/setup. Best get a home demo and if that is an issue, which I have too, buy used and live with losing some dosh when you sell on, not always but usually I have taken a small loss. Going on reviews it does seem to aim at Hi Fi rather than PRaT but you need to hear one yourself.

18. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

Thank you. Bettered in which way or only different like most things in hifi.

19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I swapped a Naim Dac + Teddy XPS for 2Qute when I downsized my system a little while ago. The Chord is good enough for me but not a patch on the Naim with the (then) latest firmware. I ran the Naim with an M2Tech USB to SPdif from a Mac Mini mid 2010, which was just a streamer.

20. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

Bettered in that I preferred it, everything else is so subjective, room, ears, source etc.
    Music sounded better to me with the Hugo and better again with the Holo.
    I'm not a great one for noise floors lowering and veils being lifted, mid-range clarifying, bass agility and frequency spacing but you can take it that a bit of all these was most likely happening.....

.sjb