1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

dead naim remote

Discussion in 'audio' started by Edwar65, May 22, 2020.

1. Edwar65

Edwar65 pfm Member

Anyone come across the naim remotes and know of their longevity? Mine is the basic unit with pre and cd buttons at top.
    It was working ok,then suddenly stopped altogether. It came with a cd5x. I've checked obvious things like swapping batteries and checking connections,also tried the button for cd etc,but to no avail.
    Are any other options other than naim,that will control the cd and give all the functions,as I assume the naim unit will be pricey??
    Or any other tips to try??

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I’m pretty sure any CD player remote using the Philips RC5 control protocol will control a Naim machine... meaning you could use one a Philips, Marantz, Arcam, Exposure, Cyrus, Rega, Linn, Roksan machines and probability a whole load more. I’d double check but if I’m right, you have a load to choose from... PS, a DVD remote won’t work.

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Your phone camera can see the infra red diode light. Does it flash?

No Quarter likes this.
  4. Edwar65

Edwar65 pfm Member

No it can't. I've tried that with my working TV remote and the camera doesn't show up any diode light??
    Thanks

5. topa

topa Sans CDPs

Maybe it needs to be recapped?

6. linnfomaniac83

If you’re anywhere near me (WS8 area), I have several Linn remotes, you can borrow one to try. If that works (and I very much expect it will), then any Philips, Marantz, Arcam or any other RC5 CD player remote will work.

7. VTA

VTA pfm Member

The remote that came with my Supernait purchased in 2007 died last year. New one was $$$ but I wanted a Naim one. As noted you can use others.

8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Very unusual, these remotes use near infra red in the 850~900nm wavelengths. Silicon is very sensitive to this

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Yip. When I've owned Naim CD players I've used an old Philips remote to keep the Naim one in good condition for when I sell the player.

10. linnfomaniac83

Yep, thought so. I was pretty sure my Linn Ikemi remote operated my Naim CD3.5 but it’s been a few years... that’s that sorted then, loads of options chose from.

11. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Try remotefixer.co.uk.

12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Have you tried hitting it?

13. Oneandtwo

Oneandtwo pfm Member

My cd5i remote didn’t last very long at all. It seemed to get very weak just before it died completely.

14. jimmytwos

jimmytwos pfm Member

I have a similar old naim remote which no longer works, I should try and repair it. I have read that sometimes if they are dropped, the crystal can crack and change frequently? Not sure how accurate my description is but this thread has prompted me to look into it further.

15. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

Isn't that a bit like not shagging your GF to keep her pristine for the next guy?

Bob Edwards likes this.
  16. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Hardly. It's just a remote. It switches the player on and off. It has no bearing on how it sounds so it makes no difference what it looks like. And if you keep the Naim one good it makes the player easier to sell.

The last Naim player I sold shipped with the remote unused, still sealed in the bag. If you sell your player with no remote it will be harder to sell and you'll probably get less for it. Either that or you'll choose to replace it with another Naim remote, which will cost you money.

Do what you want but I chose to keep the remotes good.

17. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Remotes use ceramic resonators, not crystals. But cracked solder joints are the usual reason for nothing working, they normally use rubbish single sided pcbs. A few dead keys is probably worn out carbon pads, harder to fix.

18. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

The 'Solaris' remote that came with my Saturn-R is not great. It's a poorly designed button-fest and clearly not a very robust type. It wasn't very long before the 'next' button, the one I press the most, required a really hard press to get it to work. Just pressing it until it 'clicked' like the other buttons no longer works and I assume it will fail one day. I kept an eye one eBay until I got a new one at a reasonable price and I've put the new remote away for when the player is sold. The remote is essential for this player as there is no way to switch between the CD player and the DAC without it! Which, in my humble opinion, is felin' idiotic!!

19. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Well impressed with naim remotes , lovely precise action and quality feel

20. yeti42

yeti42 pfm Member

Rarely, a button can go down at a slight angle and get stuck locking up the remote. I had this with the remote for my CD5x, have a good look at all the buttons and see if any are a bit lower than the rest and give it a prod if it is, you should feel the button depress, if you don’t wiggle it until it frees up. In the 12 years I’ve used Naim remotes I’ve only had this happen once.