1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealer Integrity

Discussion in 'audio' started by graystoke4, Feb 14, 2020.

1. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

Hi, if say, you was at a hifi store looking seriously to purchase, let's say speakers, you really liked them and was committed to the sale, and the dealer knew there was a new pair mk2, of this speaker coming out in 6 months, which will supersede the pair you are looking at buying, should he inform you of that ?, or should he carry one with the sale, knowing in 6 months time your purchase,would be worth 50% of what you paid, or explain what the deal is, and let you make up your own mind, maybe wait, or carry on and buy the pair you have your eye on, this could be in the thousands ££, but this thread is about integrity and not the cost,

2. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I think it would be a nice gesture and the "decent" thing to do if the dealer was to let you know there was a new 'Mk2' on the way, however, the dealer may think he's under no obligation and may be concerned about losing the sale

3. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

How would you expect him to behave? Me, I’d expect him to tell me there was a new pair coming out, and I could have his stock pair at a great discount because he wanted to make way for the new model. But then there’s dealers and dealers.

igor_xxxx likes this.
  4. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

me personally, i definitely would want him to tell me, and would see him in 6 months, for a sale,

5. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Depends a lot on the manufacturer's frequency of updating models.
    If we're talking annual or near enough model changes then no, the dealer would not need to.
    If however the frequency is more like five years then yes, it would be the decent thing to do.

6. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

who update's models every year, ??, if they did i would not touch the brand with a stick, they would be out of business, with a model like that, very soon

7. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

You raise a very good question and I expect that it is why, when I dealt with manufacturers like Linn and Naim, they kept their new product plans/launches very close to their chests - even to their retailers.

Darren likes this.
  8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

If you really liked them that much (so they suited your system and your room and your budget and made you smile and love your music again), then why are you worrying. The MK2's will be different, maybe less suitable.
    Not everything new is better.

Tigerjones, gx502, 2ManyBoxes and 9 others like this.
  9. Cav

Cav pfm Member

He has a business to run and a living to make.

Speaker purchase is, for me, a once in 10 year or more incidence. So a dealer would not expect much repeat business on speaker sales. Same goes for other items.

As was said up-thread, manufacturers do not always share new release dates.

10. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

The release of mk2 doesn't make mk1 any worse in absolute terms, and certainly won't make it obsolete.

So long as you were happy when you got them, and don't suddenly decide to sell because mk2 came out, you shouldn't be significantly impacted in the long run.

11. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

They are a retailer, which means they will sell what’s on the wagon.

Rack Kit and Caledon1297 like this.
  12. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Given a mk3 and 4 will eventually be released you should probably hold off indefinitely.

Tigerjones, Darren, DavidS and 6 others like this.
  13. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Maybe, if the dealer is rich and you are poor. Otherwise no.

14. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Now there's a catch 22!

If the dealer is rich they probably didn't get that way with uncompromising integrity (at least to the degree the OP wants). :)

littleaudioco and Heckyman like this.
  15. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

yes , but YNWOAN, they can't just show up with a truck of new models, at your shop, and also i would think they would want to push sales,so most of the older gear has gone,

16. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Well, they didn’t used to turn up with a truck of anything but they did just suddenly announce MK2 or new models totally out of the blue and expect you to order stock and demo models - and, as a retailer, most blooming annoying it was too!

In fact, I well remember Linn’s exceedingly irritating foray into the manufacture of amplification. At one point I had three generations (perhaps four) of their pre-power amp combo in stock - worth next to nothing and they didn’t offer any sort of discount either. In the first couple of years they updated the amps every other week!

17. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

in 1986 linn introduced the LK2-60
    In 1987 they released an upgraded LK2-75
    In 1988 they released the LK2-80

And they offered a discounted upgrade to LK2-80 for existing customers.

the LK1 was largely unchanged throughout

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

There’s a phrase for it OP.
    Caveat emptor.

How much notice do you want?
    6 months
    A year
    2 years!

it’s a ridiculous proposition.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and nmtjb like this.
  19. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Mk II's etc may not be as good as a MkI... you would be surprised how often such things are in fact due to a part used in the Mki becoming obsolete! I've designed MkII 's for former employers (non hi fi gear here) for just this reason... and of course the marketing dept will tell you it is vastly improved etc every time...

lindsayt, igor_xxxx, DavidS and 6 others like this.
  20. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Let me add as someone who works for a (non hifi) manufacturer, it can be really hard to manage this. If your old model is still selling and you announce (or let it be rumoured) a new model 6 months before you intend to launch, you can end up selling nothing for a year if the new model ends up being delayed (which often happens given it's usually quite hard to make significant improvements and iron out teething problems).