1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealer Integrity

Discussion in 'audio' started by graystoke4, Feb 14, 2020.

1. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Better hold off buying an iPhone

booja30 likes this.
  2. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Or a laptop - you’ve barely paid your money before it has been replaced.

3. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

This generally means the Mk2 will actually be available in >18 months' time.

(Grammar pedants: did I get the apostrophe in the right place?)

4. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Most audio manufacturers, the ones that interest me anyway, are pretty slow to offer updates and new models. However, one exception (it seems to me) is Wilson Audio who do seem to, relatively regularly, replace models with (supposedly) far superior versions.

What I can tell you is that as a retailer (once, not now) the last thing you want to hear is of the release of a new model when you still have stock of the current stuff. Now some manufacturers will sell you their remaining stock at a discount and that’s another matter, you can pass that on to the customer. This is partly why many dealers may have a demo model but don’t actually carry stock (if their dealer agreement allows that), apart from the horrendous cost of carrying stock of expensive gear.

No doubt the tea boy for some dealer will be along presently to contradict this ;).

graystoke4 likes this.
  5. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I think you’ll find I can also make coffee!

Rockmeister likes this.
  6. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Buy a really old speaker from a now defunct company. That should solve the dilemma.

Joe

booja30 and YNWOAN like this.
  7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Often the MkII exists as the MkI was reasonably successful and the company now wants to reduce production costs/maximise profit by simplifying manufacturing processes and reducing component cost. Not exclusively, but I can think of many examples where that is the case. These days it likely also means that what was initially a UK, US or Japanese-built unit is now made in China!

8. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

I bought a turntable on behalf of a terminally ill friend a while back

Said dealer sold me his demo unit only for me to discover that a new totally revised model came out a month or so later.......

It’s generally all about the sale imho

9. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

tony, i think that depends on the price rage of said item in the first place, cheap maybe, hi-end no

10. Spike

Spike pfm Member

52 updates. Can’t recall that.

11. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I'm sure its different in other markets; in my previous job we released new product 4-5 times a year, one model at a time and we actively helpeddealers run their stock down by giving retroactive discounts for stock they still had based on their pre order value and other mechanisms.

It worked well.

12. albany

albany pfm Member

I believe dealers are normally required by the manufacturer not to draw attention to new models that may be in the pipeline lest they effect the sales of current models. In any event with digital technology we can all assume a new improved model is coming soon.

13. tuga

tuga European

What would a car dealer do?

14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

The public know when a new car is coming.

15. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Quite. Rush to buy the mark1 before the mark2 makes it obsolete.

16. tuga

tuga European

Really? When's the new Peugeot 209 coming?

17. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Well if we don’t know; not soon

Alex S likes this.
  18. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

Naim Nova. I died of old age waiting for it to appear. Bought something else.

Rockmeister likes this.
  19. TimF

TimF pfm Member

It all can be quite a dilemma for both parties involved. My thought is along these lines. If said dealer knows for certain a Mk2 or new model is indeed coming, I would think that a dealer who is honest, and does have some integrity, should tell the customer of upcoming new model. It is then up to the buyer if he/she chooses to wait for new model, maybe put down a deposit, or, maybe ask said dealer for possible discounting if available on outgoing model.

My thought is if dealer is not straightforward in the beginning, chance of losing potentially more sales with that person could be lost, along with his integrity. Is it worth pissing off a customer and losing sales? I guess I personally wouldn’t as a dealer. With that being said, there also are a fair share of wishy washy buyers that cannot make a reasonable decision to save their own soul. Or those that can never be satisfied no matter how much a dealer will bend over backwards for them.

20. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with one of the dealers who pepperpots this forum with advice. Different however in that they did tell me a new model was coming but then stated that they, “weren’t allowed to tell me what it was”. Cost them a sale both then and in the future when the new model arrived. Don’t tell me you know a “secret” and then refuse to disclose it. Profoundly irritating. Would have been better for them if they’d said nothing - I’d have been none the wiser.